2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: A Return to Basics

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

A Return to Basics
By magicxtian on

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

After ten years in the world of trucks, I returned to VW, choosing the Beetle, 20+ years from my first such vehicle. This car is incredibly well built and solid considering its' compact size. Its Interior features are on the high end, making the modern day drive quite easy. The gas mileage on the TDI is over two-and-a-half times improved over my guzzling trucks of yore. It handles great in wintery conditions, accelerates like a charm, and is a real pleasure to drive, even for 6+ hour hauls. If you live in cold climates, I'd recommend the cold weather package as heated seats make a world of difference. Summertime begs for the sun/moon roof, a standard on my model.

The height adjustable seats, moonroof, heated seats, TDI fuel economy and low emmisions levels (second only to hybrid engines), mini-plug input for MP3 or other audio source, and three easily accessed 12v inputs.

Improve the cupholders (though I hear it's well improved on 06 models).