2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Bugs have "bugs"
By Brian on 04/15/05 17:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

All bugs have a problem with the radio, amp drains battery.All have seat belt light prblems.Convertibles have convertible top problems the top come apart around the window.The floor mat hold downs pop off. Vw and board walk have been contacted on these issue and they give me a different story everytime you talk to them. We have a grey convertible and a yellow hard top both 2004.

New Bug
By richard on 04/09/05 17:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

A really fun vehicle to drive. Front seats are very comfortable with plenty of leg room-rear seats are not meant for adults.

love my bug
By sam fam on 04/04/05 01:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love my bug ! I have driven an suv for seventeen years. This car is fun fun fun and fast..... Takes off like a rocket and sounds like one too in turbo. We get smiles from passing vehicles and beetle owners are the coolest and love to live life for all that it's worth. I plan on buying a another bug for a special family member in the near future !

volks
By richard coughlin on 03/26/05 11:28 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

so far I like the car. The car handles well and is fun to drive. It is good in the snow. The fuel mileage is not impressive. I got around 26 mpg in mixed driving. There are a lot of rattles when driving over potholes. I bought the car for the fun factor. I'm waiting for the spring so I can put the top down. Also I plan on wintering in the sun-belt starting next year so I bought the convertible. I hope gas prices do not rise a lot more. To early for a fair reliability assesment

Sooooo Much Fun!
By dsax on 03/12/05 08:34 AM (PST)

More people come up to me and say how much they like my car. It really has personality and is displayed through its design. This is a second car for me as I do need a larger car for family trips. But I use this one for work and play - and nothing makes you feel better than a cool breeze blowing in your face after a long day at work. This car is very easy to maneuver, rides great, is relatively quiet, has a great stereo and all the amenties one really needs. Small trunk space but surprisingly holds more than you would think, and the backseat is small but fine for kids. These are things I knew prior to buying the vehicle, though. Would recommend to everyone!!

My wife made me get it!
By Impe on 02/27/05 12:17 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

It takes a real man to drive a car this car! I wanted a PT Cruiser Convertible but my wife insisted on the New Beetle Convertible; and it had to be Bback. We now have 5k miles on it and all is well. It is fun to drive and was comfortable on an 800 mile trip to FL. The top is easy to operate, the trunk is adequate for 2 people on 2/3 day trips, and the back seat is perfect for a 75lb Black Lab. The sound system is great, especially the MP3 capability which allows me to play as many as 200 songs per CD. The 28.5 MPG is less than I hoped for, (and both my wife and I drive gently); but the car sure is CUTE! We get lots of smiles and inquiries. All things considered, we are very happy with it.

Convertible Bug
By sherri on 02/19/05 18:00 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The GLS automatic tiptronic 4 cylinder convertible Bug rocks No comparison to the reg beetle, it's much more of a car in the way it rides as well as being loaded with the heated seats and outdoor mirrors, air, stereo, etc. It beats the hard top. I'm hoping it will last. I love the top and I wish the seats were a bit better, like real leather and with heavy rubber footing throughout instead of carpet. Other than that, it's cool. No problem yet with light on dash coming on like the past Beetle I owned, hopefully never will. VW is known for engine sensor light on a lot so the mechanics tell me, and through my own experience as well. Its great in the snow!

Fun, can't wait until the top comes down
By Diane Frank on 02/19/05 12:12 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I feel safe and comfortable in this car. It is so much fun to drive. I get a lot of compliments, too. It is classy looking as well. I feel like I am driving an expensive well built car.

Fun Car
By Joe on 01/28/05 22:45 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Dealer delivered on all promises. Car came with zero delivery defects. Handles great, fun to drive, looks good, and gets great gas milage. It's a blast to drive and I look forward to going places in it. With the reliablity rating from Consumer Reports, I was a little worried, but it seems as if all the "bugs" are out of the New Beetle with the 2005 model, and so far it's 100%. Get one, you'll love it, especially the convertible!

Bad car
By dale mayhall on 01/27/05 16:07 PM (PST)

When the temperature is less than 30 degrees this car is horrible. The A/T doesn't shift into overdrive until after 15 minutes of driving, the mileage is 15 mpg, the windows don't go up properly,etc. It will be sold shortly. What a piece.