Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

This car is amazing
By Karrie

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This car is amazing! When I drove it I was sold. Actually I drove a manual turbo frist, then I drove my top of the line tiptronic transmission convertable. Now I am a proud owner. Great on gas. Fun fun fun. I drive it everywhere. It can tackle any hill, mountain or weather. Don't forget it can handle California freeways.

Favorite Features

Handles great, easy to put top up and down. sound system, everything. I just love my bug!

Suggested Improvements

cup holder, blind spot when tops down. Trunk closing.

Exploding Windows
By gretche

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

We have enjoyed driving our New Beetle, we have been VW owners since the late 50's and our daughter still has her first car, 1971 Beetle Convertible. We will be forced to get rid of our car because the window on the driver's door has exploded twice. Our car is almost out of warantee and VW has told us that if the window explodes again, it will be our expense. We feel this is a danger but there has been no recall or service notes on it. VW of America's answer to us is, "we are very sorry." We feel we will have to get rid of the car before one of us loses an eye. Our dealership has admitted to having several cars with similar problems, sometimes it is the passenger door.

Favorite Features

I enjoy the ease with which the top can be put down. I bought a steamer trunk in MD, put the top down, fit the trunk into the back seat, put the top up and off I went. Great!

Suggested Improvements

We have a major safety problem with our car that will force us to sell. The window in the driver's door has exploded twice. The first time the window was closed and I was opening the door, the second time it was part way down and we were closing the door. VW has refused to offer an explanation.

A good value and fun!
By ttocsffej

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My second bug and not as sprightly as my '01 Turbo coupe. It's a very heavy small car (3200 lbs.) and has a solid road feel. Even with the 1.8t and the 5 speed it craves another 30-40 hp. Fuel economy is not great. (EPA is 25 city-30 hwy.) My best mileage is only 24.2 mpg in mostly highway driving. You might get 30 mpg-if you still drive 55 mph on the freeway! With a lead foot in town you can expect about 21-22 mpg. The culprit is the gearing; it's "short" in order to aid acceleration but the engine turns over a fuel-wasting 3700 rpm at 80 mph! An overdrive 6th gear would help mpg and noise! Otherwise it is a fun, solidly built convertible with a tight top. No troubles at 5K miles.

Favorite Features

The 17" wheel & tire package--a steal at $400! Also the "sport seats" look great but they are a little narrow for us big guys. Generates comments everywhere you go and guys get to meet a lot of cute women who want one! (But do they question your manhood for driving one!?!?) The debate rages on!

Suggested Improvements

The trunk lid is hard to close and there's no handle or button so it smudges with fingerprints where you open it--annoying after a detail job! "Auto drop" windows (which lower when opening doors) need to work more quickly. Better fuel economy. More hp and a 6th gear would help this car immensely!

2005 Beetle Conv 1.8T Turbo
By xcrytonx

Very surprised at this car after we bought it. Wife wanted a cute conv with a little get up and go but what we got was one of the funnest cars we have owned with good looks and more than enough performance in the city and on the freeway.

Pili, Fun in the Sun
By Esther P Dumenigo

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my convertible a year ago and so far has been great, a pleasure to drive all year around. I was a little concerned about all the negatives reviews from other owners, but my experience with VW have been positive. The car feels very solid and offers a very quiet ride. The Beetle comes standard w/lots of standard safety features that other convertibles don't even offered. If you are looking for a solid, safe and fun to drive convertible, the Beetle is the one. It has the feel of a luxury car w/o the high sticker price.

Favorite Features

Front seats are very firm and comfortable, the radio sound is great, even when the top is down. Love the overall looks and high quality feel.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, and center console.