Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Just Buggin'
By lisa surdyka

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It is just such a cute car and it is so fun to drive. There is not a day that goes by that someone doesn't comment on my Beetle.

The convertible top, heated seats, and how fun it is to drive.

Move the drink holders out from under the dash.

Cute, but Little Power
By amattke

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dream car is a Porsche 911, but circumstances require that I get something else in the meantime. The bug is very cute, and will eventually move fast, but the lower gears are slow off the line. Mine has the Tiptronic automatic transmission like the Porsche, which allows shifting manually. The gear throw isn't as satisfying, but I like having the ability. It looks slow even when cruising at 80 mph, but I suppose that isn't a bad thing if there is a patrolman nearby. It is surprisingly comfortable. I smile every time I open the garage door and see it there smiling back at me - it's just charming. There is a reason that so many cartoon cars look like Beetles.

I wish that mine had the more powerful engine that is available on 2006 model. I bought mine used, so I didn't have the option.

Happy Car!
By Denise in MI

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just love my Beetle Conv. This is my second New Beetle and I will probably buy a third. The color is great, it rides great and everywhere I go it makes people smile! It's been a great summer in MI for having the top down! (wind stop purchase recommended) this car even rides great in the snow, I love the ESP feature. The first little slip and sldie and it kickes in. The 6 speed Tiptronic transmission is gonna get me in trouble! It's not the old VW, no charge cards required to scrape the frost off the windshield, it has great heat and air conditioning (People who remember the old VW know what I'm talking about.). All these new features blow people away. Once again it's a happy car, It makes people smile!

I think my favorite feature is the Tiptronic transmission. You can go from full automatic to clutchless shift just by the flick of the wrist and you are off! Watch out for the cops...it could get you a ticket! The vanity mirrors are not needed when the top is down!

The wind stop should come with the car.....after all it's a convertible. They really need to do something about cup holders, they haven't done much with that in the past six years, they are too short and hidden under the dash. They will only hold a small coffee cup.

Looking Good in My Lady Bug!
By ladybug

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my chick car. I look good in it. Taking the top down is awesome in the warm weather, and it drives well in the winter too. It has impressive head-room and I can almost stand up on the floor of the backseat. The trunk is tiny, but who cares? Put your groceries on the passenger seat. I've had it for about a year now and have had no mechanical issues at all, gas efficiency is pretty average, and it's overall pretty low maintenance.

Taking the top down is simple and it's ease encourages you to do it anytime the temp reaches above 65 degrees. The built-in thermometer lets you know when you've hit the prefered temps!

Put anything on the passenger seat and it will punish you by buzzing as a reminder to put your seatbelt on. Glad to know that my car has such great safety technology, but my laptop does not need to be buckled in. Also, I wish the console and armrest were a tad bigger. Purchasing the boot isn't necessary.

Paint Problems
By Sean

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Beetle. I have always driven Cherolets, but I love my VW Bug. It is amazingly fun to drive and looks great...BUT...it has major paint issues. I have the Harvest Moon (Cream) colored Beetle. My front bumper has been in the shop six times in under a year's time! It has been very disappointing.

I love the convertible top and great style.

Fix the terrible paint quality and terribe cup holders, espceially their location. Everything plastic has broken at least once also!