2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Cute, but Little Power
By amattke on 08/01/06 11:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dream car is a Porsche 911, but circumstances require that I get something else in the meantime. The bug is very cute, and will eventually move fast, but the lower gears are slow off the line. Mine has the Tiptronic automatic transmission like the Porsche, which allows shifting manually. The gear throw isn't as satisfying, but I like having the ability. It looks slow even when cruising at 80 mph, but I suppose that isn't a bad thing if there is a patrolman nearby. It is surprisingly comfortable. I smile every time I open the garage door and see it there smiling back at me - it's just charming. There is a reason that so many cartoon cars look like Beetles.

Happy Car!
By Denise in MI on 07/10/06 08:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just love my Beetle Conv. This is my second New Beetle and I will probably buy a third. The color is great, it rides great and everywhere I go it makes people smile! It's been a great summer in MI for having the top down! (wind stop purchase recommended) this car even rides great in the snow, I love the ESP feature. The first little slip and sldie and it kickes in. The 6 speed Tiptronic transmission is gonna get me in trouble! It's not the old VW, no charge cards required to scrape the frost off the windshield, it has great heat and air conditioning (People who remember the old VW know what I'm talking about.). All these new features blow people away. Once again it's a happy car, It makes people smile!

Looking Good in My Lady Bug!
By ladybug on 05/19/06 17:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my chick car. I look good in it. Taking the top down is awesome in the warm weather, and it drives well in the winter too. It has impressive head-room and I can almost stand up on the floor of the backseat. The trunk is tiny, but who cares? Put your groceries on the passenger seat. I've had it for about a year now and have had no mechanical issues at all, gas efficiency is pretty average, and it's overall pretty low maintenance.

Paint Problems
By Sean on 01/19/06 17:03 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Beetle. I have always driven Cherolets, but I love my VW Bug. It is amazingly fun to drive and looks great...BUT...it has major paint issues. I have the Harvest Moon (Cream) colored Beetle. My front bumper has been in the shop six times in under a year's time! It has been very disappointing.

Fun, Fun, Fun!
By Teresa on 10/09/05 19:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Dark Flint Edition 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I traded in a Lincoln Aviator on this car and I don't miss it a bit! The 2005 Volkswagen Beetle is sooo much fun to drive and turns heads daily. I love it, love it, love it!!!!

2005 Volkswagen Beetle
By arlene on 10/04/05 08:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. But here are the negatives in order of importance: Poor visability when backing up. Paint chips off easily inside and out. Problems with flaps and windows (recall).

Yellow Bugster
By Richard on 09/20/05 22:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I love my bug! It has plenty of power, is easy to drive, and handles well. I get plenty of postive comments from others when we stop. The cup holder will not allow a 12oz drink can to fit without flipping it out toward the passenger seat though.

New Beetle "Flint Edition" Convertible
By steve645 on 09/01/05 20:28 PM (PDT)

This car is fun to drive. It's easy on the wallet when it comes to the gas pump. It is roomy enough for two adults or two adults and two kids under 5 feet tall (rear seat). I have only had it for three weeks, but it seems like a good choice for a sub-compact. If they would've had the turbo diesel, we would've gotten it.

Loving my 2005 New Beetle Convertible!
By Bsktlover on 09/01/05 16:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second New Beetle, the first being a 1999 New Beetle, 5-speed manual, and not a turbo. The first time I drove my 2005 turbo on the highway, it felt so good - when I wanted to pass a big motor home or semi truck, no problem! Just step on the gas and I was there! The fuel economy on this vehicle is amazing, too - I have averaged of 29 miles per gallon so far, with a total mileage so far on the vehicle of about 8,000 miles. And fun to drive - nothing could beat it!

Poor car
By Dale Mayhall on 08/17/05 11:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The VW convertible would not shift into overdrive in cold weather for the first twelve miles. Windows squeeked against top. I had to visit the dealer twelve times for repairs in less than a year. I sold the car two days ago.