Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

2005 VW Beetle
By Becky Hunter

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My first car was a 1957 Beetle and when fuel prices began to rise, I sold my Honda Passport and purchased my 2005 Beetle. I love it, we live in a mountainous region and with four adults in the car, all I have to do is switch my Tiptronic transmission from auto to manual, shift into 5th and I scoot right up the mountains without skipping a beat. It hugs the road and is so much fun to drive, I feel like a teenager again! My 74 year old Father loves to drive it as well and is looking at getting one for my Mom! We are considering another one for my husband, so I can keep him out of mine :) He was surprised at the pep when he drove it for the first time.

I love the rims and wheels, awesome sound system, height adjustable seats (my husband is 6'2" and slides right in and out), sunroof, and flipdown back seat (my Boxer loves to go for rides).

Give it easier cupholder access for front seats, a deeper glove compartment, allow the front seat to recline completely, and use a lever instead of the knob. Also, hooks and nets in the hatch for holding groceries and bags in place would be nice.

Something you feel great to pay
By happy buyer

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bougt this car as a gift to my wife. Before that we consider Toyota Echo, Collora, Scion, etc. Beetle costs several thousands more than comparison but it really worths the money. My wife is so delighted with her new car. Everything is perfect. Style is great, the function is responsive, plus a build-in mp3 player. Do not know of anything else to add to it.

Style, responsive air conditioner, good power and brake, solid build.

Maybe fuel economy would be better. I might be picky because with the solid build, it probably the best fuel economy can be achieved.

The cutest car ever made
By Andrea

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is like the kind of car only a fun person can drive. it's very simple inside..not like those tacky expensive cars...thats why i love it! its original and soo the cutest car ever made

THE VASE! everytime i get into my car it smells like the roses that i put in the vase ever week! it s original...yet practical i can't live without it now!

The airbag...the light is always always always on...i got it fixed a few times but its a manufactoring defect so...it's unfixable...but its still my favorite car!

Best Convertible on the Market.
By Jane

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a fun car. I've had convertibles my entire life but there is just something about a convertible New Beetle that is more fun than any of the rest. It has a lot of power and something about the angle and shape of the windshield gives you the illusion of being in a much larger car. Front seat is wonderfully spacious and roomy. Backseat, as I've stated below, is the major drawback. I'm also not delighted with the gas mileage. I'm averaging less than 25 mpg .... I was hoping for a little more but even so I'd buy the car again in a heartbeat.

It has an automatic convertible top but you can activate unless the car is in park ... I think that's a good feature. Also, there's a release latch on the driver's door for both the gas tank and the trunk but there's a key lock which prevents either from being activated by anyone who might break in.

A bigger backseat. I have problems putting the babyseat in the back it's so crowded. This is definitely the one big drawback of this car

Di's dream bug
By Dianlyn

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have had this car for a year now and I love that I put roughly 140 miles a week on it and only have to go to the gas station every 3 weeks.

The fact that it doesn't look much different than the Beetle I owned in the 70's.

I would not change a thing on my Beetle.