2005 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
fun driving car but parts don't last long
By jbdonkey on 07/11/14 07:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I owned two beetle tdi (2003 and 2005 model). I always bought them used and over 100000 miles on meters. They drive smoothly but the interiors are horrible. The door panels are never good. I have look at least twenty beetles from craigslist posts and the plastic or leather parts are bad. Their sale price is way lower compared to Japanese. Since I drive 200 mile every day in commuting and i really care about the gas millage. so I can live with that. If VW try to earn the market, they should know how to improve this. By the way, the parts are not cheap in this car.

Nothing But Headaches!!!!
By kelboom01 on 04/03/14 06:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car used with 25,000 miles on it and within first year was met with of course the rear window not working issue that looks as though is a "normal" problem with this type of car. So needless to say $1,000 to fix and then front headlights blew out twice within a few months??? Now dealing with transmission "bucking" issues and passenger window not working and convertible roof not working!!!! help!!!!! NEVER AGAIN BUYING A VW...

Run... dont walk and find another car!!
By doodlebughi on 02/28/13 04:28 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my turbo conv. beetle used in 08 with 39000 miles on it. I starting having problems with the drivers side window not going down within the first year and it just escalated from there. I have since replaced 3 of the 4 windows to the tune of $800 a PIECE! I have just now reached 70k miles and my transmission is shot. It appears this is a very common problem and VW refueses to deal with it or make good on it. I now have over 5k in repairs into this vehicle that is not worth much and my mechanic is saying another 5800k to get it going again. I have loved the look of my car and how fun it is to drive.....BUT, I will Never ever by another VW. what a money pit!!

Worst car we have ever owned
By jpj22 on 02/26/13 05:19 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Stay away from this lemon. We got my wife a new one in Aug 2005. That was the happiest day or her life until we got rid of it and then that was the happiest day of her life. Transmission problems, rear side window problems, top problems, sensor problems trim problems. There is no room in the car. I have nothing good to say about this lemon.

CUTE! But a Dream down the hole...
By skuzziboi1 on 12/02/12 21:48 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Bi-Color Edition 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Okay so I have been a Beetle fan for as long as I can remember, I bought myself a 2005 VW BEETLE BI COLOR ED! I was so stoked, it was black and maroon, most def an eye turned. It was very fun to drive and had all the bells and whistles except for a turbo. Anywho, after hitting 90k the Tranny started to give me problems, I was determined to keep my car but sadly had to trade it in to obtain the most for its value while it still had value. It became so scary to drive, I would stall at stop signs or traffic lights, some days I would forget I had issues all together because some days it would be perfectly fine and other days it would act up. And yes this is the tranny..... Please dont buy

Why I regret buying the 2005 Volkswagon New Beetle
By javidiaz on 05/18/12 18:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I made the huge mistake of purchasing a 2005 Volkswagon New Beetle last year. This was a used car meant to be a small retirement gift to myself, and a year later, after 4 visits to the mechanic, $2500.00 dollars in repairs and a looming transmission problem, I am now faced with having to trade this blue nightmare in for a more reliable car. Any smile I had on my face was wiped off by the pure unreliable nature of this vehicle and what this year of driving what I consider the worst vehicle ever made has been to me. I have owned Ford, Dodge, Honda, and never experienced a poorly engineered vehicle until I drove the 2005 VW New Beetle. Heed my review and stay away from these cars.

Cute retro looking car.
By lovebug05 on 07/11/11 07:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Ive had my 05 Beetle for about 2 years now. I got it with 116k miles and 17k miles on it with no major issues. Although Ive had to replace my battery twice within a year and & half. Major pain to take out and re install. The h1 bulbs for the headlights & fog lights burn out often. Major MAJOR pain in the a** to take the headlights out to put the new bulbs in. The interior dash scratches very easy and the car always smells like crayons in warmer weather. I had to put 1k in replacing the timing belt, water pump, belt tension er, serpentine belt, new tires, brakes just for preventive maintenance.

Fun but won't buy another!
By k8t on 08/25/10 10:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought car used with only 6k miles at wholesale price, these are way too over priced brand new. PROS: fun to drive, ICE cold AC good mpg. No engine problems, replaced breaks at 45k miles. I totaled this car with only 50k miles, t-boned red light runner going about 45 mph and airbags went off even with airbag sensor on (recall), was uninjured and car kept me safe. CONS: cd player went out, gutless with AC on, a few electric issues, drivers side headlight and tail light had to be replaced 2x in 3 years and its a HUGE pain. Biggest problem was back window not rolling up or down, its a $800 fix since they have to remove back seat. Fun but won't be buying another when I get paid by insurance!

Fun in the sun : )
By that 70's girl on 07/17/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased this car from a dealer as a 2 year lease turn in. From the minute I saw it, I was in love. It's a real head turner. This is my 4th VW, bought a new '74 Beetle for college and 2 Rabbits after that. Pure fun to drive every where I go, people comment on what a cute car it is. have had check engine light issues but I have my BIL reset until it goes off again. I like the Turbo when it kicks in on the interstate. I can keep up with just about everyone. Minor things can be annoying but I don't care. I bought the car for fun and it delivers every time I drive it :))

Just a cute car, not worth it!
By shannon on 05/03/10 22:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For once in my life I wanted a cute car. I got it. Used 2005 GLS lt Blue with a gray top. Yes, I got thumbs up and smiles from perfect strangers. It fit my personality to a T. I made it through the 1st yr, then the back side window broke. right after the warranty ran out! $600 to repair! The other window broke late 2008. I've just dealt with it. The top has now messed up and as I was was hand washing it I saw the top material has pulled away from the back window, water leaking in! Grant it I have 94,000 miles on it. They just don't make them like they used to. I decided it's time for a GOOD car and bought a 2010 Kia Forte Coupe. Yep still FUN, but worth it!