Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Best Convertible on the Market.
By Jane

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a fun car. I've had convertibles my entire life but there is just something about a convertible New Beetle that is more fun than any of the rest. It has a lot of power and something about the angle and shape of the windshield gives you the illusion of being in a much larger car. Front seat is wonderfully spacious and roomy. Backseat, as I've stated below, is the major drawback. I'm also not delighted with the gas mileage. I'm averaging less than 25 mpg .... I was hoping for a little more but even so I'd buy the car again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

It has an automatic convertible top but you can activate unless the car is in park ... I think that's a good feature. Also, there's a release latch on the driver's door for both the gas tank and the trunk but there's a key lock which prevents either from being activated by anyone who might break in.

Suggested Improvements

A bigger backseat. I have problems putting the babyseat in the back it's so crowded. This is definitely the one big drawback of this car