2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2005 New Beetle Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Sort Reviews by

fun driving car but parts don't last long
By jbdonkey

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I owned two beetle tdi (2003 and 2005 model). I always bought them used and over 100000 miles on meters. They drive smoothly but the interiors are horrible. The door panels are never good. I have look at least twenty beetles from craigslist posts and the plastic or leather parts are bad. Their sale price is way lower compared to Japanese. Since I drive 200 mile every day in commuting and i really care about the gas millage. so I can live with that. If VW try to earn the market, they should know how to improve this. By the way, the parts are not cheap in this car.

Favorite Features

shape

Suggested Improvements

really need to improve the plastic parts inside and under the hood. they do not last long.

Owing a bio bug
By David in Colorado

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased this car used for the diesel engine as I was commuting 720 mile per week in my job. The car handled very well in all kinds of weather like snow and ice. Mileage was right at 40 mpg on the highway. I started mixing my own bio fuel 50/50 oil and diesel and was surprised at how well the car ran. about 10-15% loss in power but for the fuel savings I gained it was well worth it. The TDI engine coupled with the Automatic 6- speed gearbox is like new at 116000 miles. I have owned many newe cars in my lifetime and was a Honda owner before this but Volkswagon TDI performance along with durability and realibality really impressed me.

Favorite Features

I like the Handling and fuel economy in this bug and VW has done a lot of improvements in exterior and interior quality. My wife has a lot of allergies and loves the cabin micro- hepa filer as she doesnt have any problems when riding in the bug.

Suggested Improvements

We wanted a convertable but VW has the TDI only in the hatchback. The car could use more overhead interior lighting along with larger sun visors that extend to cover side windows when sun is comming in at a low angle.

45 miles to the gallon
By Gilbug

I love this car however the trunk lock does not work. The power windows go up and down as they please and the interior clock runs fast, about 5 minutes per month. Other than that a great gas car.

Favorite Features

TDI

Suggested Improvements

Easier head lamp replacement.

Surprise! I love this car!
By Diane

I bought this car a year ago when it was 2 years old-- never thought of buying a VW but was looking for a diesel & this was the only one available. It's so much bigger and more comfortable than it looks like it would be-- my sister says it's nicer to ride in than my BMW 3 convertible was! And I got 47 MPG on my Christmas trip to Florida this year!!! I'm buying 10 gallons of gas every 10-15 days and commuting 50 miles a day, averaging between 38 and 42 mpg (lower when the AC is on). I know the VWs have some maintenance issues, but I've had no problems so far. It's a really enjoyable car to drive.

Favorite Features

Hatch back! I leave the back seat down all the time. My sister and I packed our luggage and presents for 5 people for Christmas, and nothing got squashed! It holds a lot more than you'd think. Moon roof a close second, along with the MP3 jack.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of a thing!

Good Car
By Aaron

My 2005 VW Beetle is a very good car. We have had it 1.5 years and have put 75,000 miles on it. It has had no problems and we get 45 MPG highway. It is one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. We got 60,000 miles on the factory tires. The dealership was impressive also, they provide good customer service. I will buy one again.

Favorite Features

The TDI motor, roominess, reliability, heated sests, and how easy it is to park.

Suggested Improvements

The front seats are not as comfortable as the ones in the Camry that we had before this. The rear seats are small, but our kids are grown so they are not needed often.

A Return to Basics
By magicxtian

After ten years in the world of trucks, I returned to VW, choosing the Beetle, 20+ years from my first such vehicle. This car is incredibly well built and solid considering its' compact size. Its Interior features are on the high end, making the modern day drive quite easy. The gas mileage on the TDI is over two-and-a-half times improved over my guzzling trucks of yore. It handles great in wintery conditions, accelerates like a charm, and is a real pleasure to drive, even for 6+ hour hauls. If you live in cold climates, I'd recommend the cold weather package as heated seats make a world of difference. Summertime begs for the sun/moon roof, a standard on my model.

Favorite Features

The height adjustable seats, moonroof, heated seats, TDI fuel economy and low emmisions levels (second only to hybrid engines), mini-plug input for MP3 or other audio source, and three easily accessed 12v inputs.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the cupholders (though I hear it's well improved on 06 models).

Yes, it is fun to drive but not comfy.
By buggy tag

I bought the car for the fuel economy and the looks. I have a large SUV and wanted something else to run around in to save gas when I am not hauling tons of kids. I get around 29 mpg both highway 60% and city 40%. I can't get the fuel economy that is stated. I am not a lead foot either. Check this before you buy one. This car is really meant for no more then two people in terms of comfort. I would hate to take a trip in this. The seats are not comfortable at all. They need to build them like domestic seats are built here. Teens hate the back seat. Up to 13 years is O.K. but isn't comfy. Also my dash and handles are peeling the top layer already, I'm not hard on vehicles.

Favorite Features

I love the room inside. It is a compact car but with penty of room and I can park where others can not. It has been a reliable car as well with very few problems.

Suggested Improvements

Give it better seats! I wish they would check MPG before they sell them, I am very dissappointed at the fuel usage. My SUV gets better MPG than was on the sticker. The interior is cheap.

New Bug
By BugN

It is a fun drive, and I fit at 6' 2", the TDI smoked a little at first, but after it was broken in, and using Biodiesel it now does great. Going from a Land Rover to a VW TDI is very nice on the pocket. Only thing that bugs me a little is the outside mirrors defrost is in the center position of the mirror adjustment switch, this is taking some getting use to, hope I don't burn them out before I figure it out, a light would be nice.

Favorite Features

45 MPG for an automatic when driven at 70 MPH, and less when you stomp on it, and with the DSG transmission it performs well in sport mode, a surprise to me.

Suggested Improvements

At a light for the defroster (rear mirrors).

Love it!
By Beth A

I was really nervous plunking down $22,000 cash for this car, but so far I'm thrilled with it. It's so comfortable -- tons of room inside. The engine has lots of power and it's getting more than 40MPG. I debated between a hybrid and this, and I'm so glad I got this -- it's so much more fun to drive compared to the relatively blah hybrids. The back seat is really, really tight -- not a problem for me since I have no kids, but if you need to use the back seat for anything more than storing stuff, you probably shoudl think twice. But I really have no complaints at all.

Favorite Features

Definitely the roomy interior -- it feels like a much larger car.

Suggested Improvements

None--so far it's perfect!

buy it
By JBo

Awesome car! Fuel economy is a plus, although the potential to have fun and drive this car aggressively doesn't help fuel economy. I don't miss my Audi A6 quattro one bit. In the first month I drove from Durham NC to Florida for the hoidays and felt safe sailing along I95 with big rigs, SUVs and countless bad drivers. I got waves, smiles and only stopped for diesel once on the way down - about 500 miles into the trip. I wouldn't want to sit in the back seat for too long, but I had plenty of room for all my xmas presents on the way home!! Go for it, you know you want one!

Favorite Features

Sun roof, heated seats and leather package.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system is weak -- not so much a monsoon as a light drizzle.