Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

fun driving car but parts don't last long
By jbdonkey

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I owned two beetle tdi (2003 and 2005 model). I always bought them used and over 100000 miles on meters. They drive smoothly but the interiors are horrible. The door panels are never good. I have look at least twenty beetles from craigslist posts and the plastic or leather parts are bad. Their sale price is way lower compared to Japanese. Since I drive 200 mile every day in commuting and i really care about the gas millage. so I can live with that. If VW try to earn the market, they should know how to improve this. By the way, the parts are not cheap in this car.

shape

really need to improve the plastic parts inside and under the hood. they do not last long.

Owing a bio bug
By David in Colorado

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased this car used for the diesel engine as I was commuting 720 mile per week in my job. The car handled very well in all kinds of weather like snow and ice. Mileage was right at 40 mpg on the highway. I started mixing my own bio fuel 50/50 oil and diesel and was surprised at how well the car ran. about 10-15% loss in power but for the fuel savings I gained it was well worth it. The TDI engine coupled with the Automatic 6- speed gearbox is like new at 116000 miles. I have owned many newe cars in my lifetime and was a Honda owner before this but Volkswagon TDI performance along with durability and realibality really impressed me.

I like the Handling and fuel economy in this bug and VW has done a lot of improvements in exterior and interior quality. My wife has a lot of allergies and loves the cabin micro- hepa filer as she doesnt have any problems when riding in the bug.

We wanted a convertable but VW has the TDI only in the hatchback. The car could use more overhead interior lighting along with larger sun visors that extend to cover side windows when sun is comming in at a low angle.

45 miles to the gallon
By Gilbug

I love this car however the trunk lock does not work. The power windows go up and down as they please and the interior clock runs fast, about 5 minutes per month. Other than that a great gas car.

TDI

Easier head lamp replacement.

Surprise! I love this car!
By Diane

I bought this car a year ago when it was 2 years old-- never thought of buying a VW but was looking for a diesel & this was the only one available. It's so much bigger and more comfortable than it looks like it would be-- my sister says it's nicer to ride in than my BMW 3 convertible was! And I got 47 MPG on my Christmas trip to Florida this year!!! I'm buying 10 gallons of gas every 10-15 days and commuting 50 miles a day, averaging between 38 and 42 mpg (lower when the AC is on). I know the VWs have some maintenance issues, but I've had no problems so far. It's a really enjoyable car to drive.

Hatch back! I leave the back seat down all the time. My sister and I packed our luggage and presents for 5 people for Christmas, and nothing got squashed! It holds a lot more than you'd think. Moon roof a close second, along with the MP3 jack.

Can't think of a thing!

Good Car
By Aaron

My 2005 VW Beetle is a very good car. We have had it 1.5 years and have put 75,000 miles on it. It has had no problems and we get 45 MPG highway. It is one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. We got 60,000 miles on the factory tires. The dealership was impressive also, they provide good customer service. I will buy one again.

The TDI motor, roominess, reliability, heated sests, and how easy it is to park.

The front seats are not as comfortable as the ones in the Camry that we had before this. The rear seats are small, but our kids are grown so they are not needed often.