2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Fun but won't buy another!
By k8t on 08/25/10 10:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought car used with only 6k miles at wholesale price, these are way too over priced brand new. PROS: fun to drive, ICE cold AC good mpg. No engine problems, replaced breaks at 45k miles. I totaled this car with only 50k miles, t-boned red light runner going about 45 mph and airbags went off even with airbag sensor on (recall), was uninjured and car kept me safe. CONS: cd player went out, gutless with AC on, a few electric issues, drivers side headlight and tail light had to be replaced 2x in 3 years and its a HUGE pain. Biggest problem was back window not rolling up or down, its a $800 fix since they have to remove back seat. Fun but won't be buying another when I get paid by insurance!

Fun in the sun : )
By that 70's girl on 07/17/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

Purchased this car from a dealer as a 2 year lease turn in. From the minute I saw it, I was in love. It's a real head turner. This is my 4th VW, bought a new '74 Beetle for college and 2 Rabbits after that. Pure fun to drive every where I go, people comment on what a cute car it is. have had check engine light issues but I have my BIL reset until it goes off again. I like the Turbo when it kicks in on the interstate. I can keep up with just about everyone. Minor things can be annoying but I don't care. I bought the car for fun and it delivers every time I drive it :))

"Beauty is the beginning of terror!"
By Chuck on 03/14/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

I bought the most beautiful 2005 New Beetle convertible ever built. Midnight blue with beige interior. And that's the best thing I can say about the car. Nearly four years and 30,000 miles later and I can only tell you to avoid this product at all costs. If you must, lease it. Engine compartment fire, windows on the passenger side disentgrating on thir own, water pump, brakes, front struts, burned out headlights, check engine lights come on whenever they please, poor gas mileage on 93, convertible roof is moody, plastic and rubber parts fall off in the night to be found on the floor in the morning, interior peels on hot days, locks won't work on cold days, new radio, I can go on,

Bitten By My Bug
By M. Young on 03/01/09 20:04 PM (PST)

I love driving my bug (even put German tags on the front) - I get compliments from total strangers on it all the time...they say it suits me (I guess I look like the artist/musician I am). All was great until 9 days after my purchase (4200 mi) my check engine light came on. Repeated 13-14 times in the next two years, plus speakers rattled, seat frame on driver's side broke more than once (try driving in a bobbling seat). Rubber coating on inside door handles peeling, interior fabric liner on convertible came loose and draped over window. Thank goodness all repairs so far have been under warranty! Looking for more reliable transport now, but will miss my bug's "cute as a bug" smile. :-(

Fun Car to Drive
By Linda on 05/07/08 06:53 AM (PDT)

I purchased this car on a whim and never regretted it! It is a fun car to drive and people are always coming up to me in parking lots and asking me how I like my convertible." I don't like it", I say, "I love it!" Every time another New Beetle convertible passes me the driver will wave and I will wave back. On the more practical side, the car gets about 26 mpg around town, and around 30 on the highway. I have been able to fit an entire JV football team defensive line in the car, and during lacrosse season the pass- through to the trunk allows for long stick defensive players' equipment. The New Beetle handles very well in snow and ice, a must for New Hampshire drivers!

Much Improvement Needed!
By bucnasty on 12/19/06 15:39 PM (PST)

This is my parents' car, but i drive it mostly, and have to deal with the dealership on the ongoing problem with the check engine light coming on. It comes on all the time and they keep telling us its a computer code that has to be updated, and they are waiting for it. They've been telling us that for a year now. Furthermore, the cup holders are awful you cant even fit a "pony" in them. They are poorly designed. Also, how can a car as tiny as a bug get only around 27 mpg? My grandmother had a huge Mercury Grand Marquee with a V8 and it got around 28 mpg. The engine needs to be revamped, there are so many larger cars out today that get a lot better mileage than the Beetle.

Loving my 2005 New Beetle Convertible!
By Bsktlover on 09/01/05 16:49 PM (PDT)

This is my second New Beetle, the first being a 1999 New Beetle, 5-speed manual, and not a turbo. The first time I drove my 2005 turbo on the highway, it felt so good - when I wanted to pass a big motor home or semi truck, no problem! Just step on the gas and I was there! The fuel economy on this vehicle is amazing, too - I have averaged of 29 miles per gallon so far, with a total mileage so far on the vehicle of about 8,000 miles. And fun to drive - nothing could beat it!

A good value and fun!
By ttocsffej on 07/08/05 18:21 PM (PDT)

My second bug and not as sprightly as my '01 Turbo coupe. It's a very heavy small car (3200 lbs.) and has a solid road feel. Even with the 1.8t and the 5 speed it craves another 30-40 hp. Fuel economy is not great. (EPA is 25 city-30 hwy.) My best mileage is only 24.2 mpg in mostly highway driving. You might get 30 mpg-if you still drive 55 mph on the freeway! With a lead foot in town you can expect about 21-22 mpg. The culprit is the gearing; it's "short" in order to aid acceleration but the engine turns over a fuel-wasting 3700 rpm at 80 mph! An overdrive 6th gear would help mpg and noise! Otherwise it is a fun, solidly built convertible with a tight top. No troubles at 5K miles.

2005 Beetle Conv 1.8T Turbo
By xcrytonx on 07/05/05 19:57 PM (PDT)

Very surprised at this car after we bought it. Wife wanted a cute conv with a little get up and go but what we got was one of the funnest cars we have owned with good looks and more than enough performance in the city and on the freeway.

Fun to drive.
By Louise Wilson-Erb on 06/26/05 09:09 AM (PDT)

The VW convertible is fun to drive, fast, and easty to operate. However, the driver's seat does is not comfortable and provide lumbar support for the older nostalgic drivers.