Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Fun but won't buy another!
By k8t

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought car used with only 6k miles at wholesale price, these are way too over priced brand new. PROS: fun to drive, ICE cold AC good mpg. No engine problems, replaced breaks at 45k miles. I totaled this car with only 50k miles, t-boned red light runner going about 45 mph and airbags went off even with airbag sensor on (recall), was uninjured and car kept me safe. CONS: cd player went out, gutless with AC on, a few electric issues, drivers side headlight and tail light had to be replaced 2x in 3 years and its a HUGE pain. Biggest problem was back window not rolling up or down, its a $800 fix since they have to remove back seat. Fun but won't be buying another when I get paid by insurance!

Soft top, leather seats, lots of head room great for tall people, ICE cold AC

Airbag sensor recall, back window motor improvements, cup holder placement.

Fun in the sun : )
By that 70's girl

Purchased this car from a dealer as a 2 year lease turn in. From the minute I saw it, I was in love. It's a real head turner. This is my 4th VW, bought a new '74 Beetle for college and 2 Rabbits after that. Pure fun to drive every where I go, people comment on what a cute car it is. have had check engine light issues but I have my BIL reset until it goes off again. I like the Turbo when it kicks in on the interstate. I can keep up with just about everyone. Minor things can be annoying but I don't care. I bought the car for fun and it delivers every time I drive it :))

Heated seats ~ stereo ~ instrument illumination colors ~ paint job ~ pin striping on side with Beetle detail ~ easy @ the pump $$ ~ overall fun factor:)

cup holders, poor placement - rear one broke immediately ~ peeling interior door handle ~ check engine light always on ~ CD player has had issues with ejection.

"Beauty is the beginning of terror!"
By Chuck

I bought the most beautiful 2005 New Beetle convertible ever built. Midnight blue with beige interior. And that's the best thing I can say about the car. Nearly four years and 30,000 miles later and I can only tell you to avoid this product at all costs. If you must, lease it. Engine compartment fire, windows on the passenger side disentgrating on thir own, water pump, brakes, front struts, burned out headlights, check engine lights come on whenever they please, poor gas mileage on 93, convertible roof is moody, plastic and rubber parts fall off in the night to be found on the floor in the morning, interior peels on hot days, locks won't work on cold days, new radio, I can go on,

Always gets smiles, plenty of front seat room, Monsoon radio blasts with the top down. Standard features not found on more expensive cars. After turbo engages, car goes swish. Fun to see little kids pointing at the car and punching friends in the forearm. LOL

I bought this car on the reputation of the OLD VW. What a mistake. I bought this car with a ten year plan. Not gonna happen. Thanks to Carfax I will never be able to sell it. LOL. This car could be so much better if the quality control was there. It was a good idea, just poorly thought out.

Bitten By My Bug
By M. Young

I love driving my bug (even put German tags on the front) - I get compliments from total strangers on it all the time...they say it suits me (I guess I look like the artist/musician I am). All was great until 9 days after my purchase (4200 mi) my check engine light came on. Repeated 13-14 times in the next two years, plus speakers rattled, seat frame on driver's side broke more than once (try driving in a bobbling seat). Rubber coating on inside door handles peeling, interior fabric liner on convertible came loose and draped over window. Thank goodness all repairs so far have been under warranty! Looking for more reliable transport now, but will miss my bug's "cute as a bug" smile. :-(

Body style, convertible, cool red and blue interior lights, tan and black interior, wind screen, great pick up and go, fog lights, love the heated seats - they are better than in my husband's Miata - careful not to burn your biscuits!

Higher quality parts, more reliable manufacturing, cup holders too far under dash and they get in the way of the mp3 input, better interior lighting.

Fun Car to Drive
By Linda

I purchased this car on a whim and never regretted it! It is a fun car to drive and people are always coming up to me in parking lots and asking me how I like my convertible." I don't like it", I say, "I love it!" Every time another New Beetle convertible passes me the driver will wave and I will wave back. On the more practical side, the car gets about 26 mpg around town, and around 30 on the highway. I have been able to fit an entire JV football team defensive line in the car, and during lacrosse season the pass- through to the trunk allows for long stick defensive players' equipment. The New Beetle handles very well in snow and ice, a must for New Hampshire drivers!

The convertible top is very easy to put up and down and I love the heated seats.