2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Worst car we have ever owned
By jpj22 on 02/26/13 05:19 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Stay away from this lemon. We got my wife a new one in Aug 2005. That was the happiest day or her life until we got rid of it and then that was the happiest day of her life. Transmission problems, rear side window problems, top problems, sensor problems trim problems. There is no room in the car. I have nothing good to say about this lemon.

Get a manual
By Sarah on 04/21/10 09:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After reading some of these reviews, I'm not surprised that people had a lot of problems with the automatic transmission. My second VW was an automatic and I had to replace the transmission at 60K miles. Instead of letting the lease run it's course, I got a great deal on my Bug Convertible. It's a manual transmission and have experienced NONE of the problems that my last VW had. The car is fun and sporty. Not too fast, but I drive like an old lady anyway. I also don't commute for work so my mileage is way low. I would recommend this car to anyone that's willing to buy manual, makes it even more fun.

My first VW
By Maureen on 03/14/09 08:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have recentlly purchased the 2005 New Bettle converatable here in Fl and will be driving it home to Mass. I have owned BMS, Jaguars etc. I am sooo sorry I bought this VW. The warranty ran out 24 days ago, The first day i went to put the rear drivers window down it went down and never came back up. I called VW warrenty Company, they would not offer a dime for repair.Vehicle has only 14K miles.Reading the reviews there is a major window regulator problem with the plastic pieces on the regulator breaking and has been a long ongoing defect.when the class action Law Suit starts on this vehicle I will be on board. I would NEVER buy a VW again. NOW I AM AFRAID TO PUT THE WINDOWS DOWN,ALSO THE TOP

Fahrvergnugen
By heme3 on 09/15/08 14:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good 2 go for a second "fun" car. Purchased used from a VW dealer, everything seems to be fine. Solid ride, little 2.0 engine runs on the cheap gas, convertible works very nicely. By far the coolest convertible you can pick up nowadays for $17K. If you want to go fast, buy something else. This car is for cruising. Almost bought the turbo version, used price is about the same, but the 1.8 turbo engine only runs on 93+ octane. Actually, the 2.0 engine seemed smoother than the 1.8 turbo with the automatic trans. 1.8 turbo with manual was best, tho. New 2.5 engine with automatic is perfect, but was out of my price range.

Worst car I have ever owned
By Scott on 09/10/08 13:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new. With only 22,000 miles we have already spent nearly $2,000 on repairs. As the other reviews stated; stuff just FALLS APART. Several sensors have gone bad - that was expensive enough, now the top is busted. More $$ down the drain. I will never buy another VW product.

Hippie car
By richard on 07/21/08 19:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new in march of 2005. A fun car to drive, gas mileage is 24 around town and 29 on the highway. We have taken this car on three long distance trips with no problems at all. We use the back seat for luggage as the trunk is not of any use for suitcases.

It's a Lime!
By stowbound on 11/25/06 14:29 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If it were yellow, it would be a lemon...instead I bought my wife a lime (green) for her 40th birthday. I believed that German engineering would provide us a good quality car that we could keep for 10+ years. Instead, I have had to sue under the lemon law for our horrible experience. The transmission still not fixed, the sound system rattles, marker lights fall out and dangle from the cords, gaskets come loose and the plastic parts break with ease. It is fun to drive with the top down, but is uncomfortable, gets poor mileage (24 mph, not 30 as advertised) is noisy and just feels cheap. There is also no storage anywhere in the car. This is not a car that will last. What a disappointment!

Just Buggin'
By lisa surdyka on 11/06/06 18:23 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It is just such a cute car and it is so fun to drive. There is not a day that goes by that someone doesn't comment on my Beetle.

Cute, but Little Power
By amattke on 08/01/06 11:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dream car is a Porsche 911, but circumstances require that I get something else in the meantime. The bug is very cute, and will eventually move fast, but the lower gears are slow off the line. Mine has the Tiptronic automatic transmission like the Porsche, which allows shifting manually. The gear throw isn't as satisfying, but I like having the ability. It looks slow even when cruising at 80 mph, but I suppose that isn't a bad thing if there is a patrolman nearby. It is surprisingly comfortable. I smile every time I open the garage door and see it there smiling back at me - it's just charming. There is a reason that so many cartoon cars look like Beetles.

Happy Car!
By Denise in MI on 07/10/06 08:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just love my Beetle Conv. This is my second New Beetle and I will probably buy a third. The color is great, it rides great and everywhere I go it makes people smile! It's been a great summer in MI for having the top down! (wind stop purchase recommended) this car even rides great in the snow, I love the ESP feature. The first little slip and sldie and it kickes in. The 6 speed Tiptronic transmission is gonna get me in trouble! It's not the old VW, no charge cards required to scrape the frost off the windshield, it has great heat and air conditioning (People who remember the old VW know what I'm talking about.). All these new features blow people away. Once again it's a happy car, It makes people smile!