Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Worst car we have ever owned
By jpj22

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Stay away from this lemon. We got my wife a new one in Aug 2005. That was the happiest day or her life until we got rid of it and then that was the happiest day of her life. Transmission problems, rear side window problems, top problems, sensor problems trim problems. There is no room in the car. I have nothing good to say about this lemon.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

discontinue production

Get a manual
By Sarah

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After reading some of these reviews, I'm not surprised that people had a lot of problems with the automatic transmission. My second VW was an automatic and I had to replace the transmission at 60K miles. Instead of letting the lease run it's course, I got a great deal on my Bug Convertible. It's a manual transmission and have experienced NONE of the problems that my last VW had. The car is fun and sporty. Not too fast, but I drive like an old lady anyway. I also don't commute for work so my mileage is way low. I would recommend this car to anyone that's willing to buy manual, makes it even more fun.

Favorite Features

Convertible, all the way. Spend the extra cash and get the wind blocker and XM radio.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the seat handle. Mine has broken twice on the passenger side.

My first VW
By Maureen

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have recentlly purchased the 2005 New Bettle converatable here in Fl and will be driving it home to Mass. I have owned BMS, Jaguars etc. I am sooo sorry I bought this VW. The warranty ran out 24 days ago, The first day i went to put the rear drivers window down it went down and never came back up. I called VW warrenty Company, they would not offer a dime for repair.Vehicle has only 14K miles.Reading the reviews there is a major window regulator problem with the plastic pieces on the regulator breaking and has been a long ongoing defect.when the class action Law Suit starts on this vehicle I will be on board. I would NEVER buy a VW again. NOW I AM AFRAID TO PUT THE WINDOWS DOWN,ALSO THE TOP

Favorite Features

smooth ride, good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

cup holder is hard to get to, VW must start working with it's customers with ongoing defects and should be willing to recall these defects.

Fahrvergnugen
By heme3

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good 2 go for a second "fun" car. Purchased used from a VW dealer, everything seems to be fine. Solid ride, little 2.0 engine runs on the cheap gas, convertible works very nicely. By far the coolest convertible you can pick up nowadays for $17K. If you want to go fast, buy something else. This car is for cruising. Almost bought the turbo version, used price is about the same, but the 1.8 turbo engine only runs on 93+ octane. Actually, the 2.0 engine seemed smoother than the 1.8 turbo with the automatic trans. 1.8 turbo with manual was best, tho. New 2.5 engine with automatic is perfect, but was out of my price range.

Favorite Features

Factory sound system is excellent. VW sells a flashlight that fits into the cigarette lighter - get it, it's too cool.

Suggested Improvements

Power top sometimes doesn't want to go all the way down. Fiddle with the button for 2 seconds and it plays ball just fine.

Worst car I have ever owned
By Scott

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new. With only 22,000 miles we have already spent nearly $2,000 on repairs. As the other reviews stated; stuff just FALLS APART. Several sensors have gone bad - that was expensive enough, now the top is busted. More $$ down the drain. I will never buy another VW product.

Favorite Features

Top down driving.

Suggested Improvements

Learn from the Japanese: build a RELIABLE car and you might get repeat business.