Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Nothing But Headaches!!!!
By kelboom01

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car used with 25,000 miles on it and within first year was met with of course the rear window not working issue that looks as though is a "normal" problem with this type of car. So needless to say $1,000 to fix and then front headlights blew out twice within a few months??? Now dealing with transmission "bucking" issues and passenger window not working and convertible roof not working!!!! help!!!!! NEVER AGAIN BUYING A VW...

Favorite Features

The look of it and when the convertible roof was working was fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Please VW issue a recall on all window regulators so save you buyers from these headaches...

Run... dont walk and find another car!!
By doodlebughi

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my turbo conv. beetle used in 08 with 39000 miles on it. I starting having problems with the drivers side window not going down within the first year and it just escalated from there. I have since replaced 3 of the 4 windows to the tune of $800 a PIECE! I have just now reached 70k miles and my transmission is shot. It appears this is a very common problem and VW refueses to deal with it or make good on it. I now have over 5k in repairs into this vehicle that is not worth much and my mechanic is saying another 5800k to get it going again. I have loved the look of my car and how fun it is to drive.....BUT, I will Never ever by another VW. what a money pit!!

Worst car we have ever owned
By jpj22

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Stay away from this lemon. We got my wife a new one in Aug 2005. That was the happiest day or her life until we got rid of it and then that was the happiest day of her life. Transmission problems, rear side window problems, top problems, sensor problems trim problems. There is no room in the car. I have nothing good to say about this lemon.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

discontinue production

Why I regret buying the 2005 Volkswagon New Beetle
By javidiaz

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I made the huge mistake of purchasing a 2005 Volkswagon New Beetle last year. This was a used car meant to be a small retirement gift to myself, and a year later, after 4 visits to the mechanic, $2500.00 dollars in repairs and a looming transmission problem, I am now faced with having to trade this blue nightmare in for a more reliable car. Any smile I had on my face was wiped off by the pure unreliable nature of this vehicle and what this year of driving what I consider the worst vehicle ever made has been to me. I have owned Ford, Dodge, Honda, and never experienced a poorly engineered vehicle until I drove the 2005 VW New Beetle. Heed my review and stay away from these cars.

Favorite Features

I haven't been able to enjoy any of the features since shelving money out to repair the faulty design and engineering that was applied to this vehicle has consumed my focus.

Suggested Improvements

I will never purchase another VW vehicle.

Fun but won't buy another!
By k8t

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought car used with only 6k miles at wholesale price, these are way too over priced brand new. PROS: fun to drive, ICE cold AC good mpg. No engine problems, replaced breaks at 45k miles. I totaled this car with only 50k miles, t-boned red light runner going about 45 mph and airbags went off even with airbag sensor on (recall), was uninjured and car kept me safe. CONS: cd player went out, gutless with AC on, a few electric issues, drivers side headlight and tail light had to be replaced 2x in 3 years and its a HUGE pain. Biggest problem was back window not rolling up or down, its a $800 fix since they have to remove back seat. Fun but won't be buying another when I get paid by insurance!

Favorite Features

Soft top, leather seats, lots of head room great for tall people, ICE cold AC

Suggested Improvements

Airbag sensor recall, back window motor improvements, cup holder placement.