2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Nothing But Headaches!!!!
By kelboom01 on 04/03/14 06:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car used with 25,000 miles on it and within first year was met with of course the rear window not working issue that looks as though is a "normal" problem with this type of car. So needless to say $1,000 to fix and then front headlights blew out twice within a few months??? Now dealing with transmission "bucking" issues and passenger window not working and convertible roof not working!!!! help!!!!! NEVER AGAIN BUYING A VW...

Run... dont walk and find another car!!
By doodlebughi on 02/28/13 04:28 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my turbo conv. beetle used in 08 with 39000 miles on it. I starting having problems with the drivers side window not going down within the first year and it just escalated from there. I have since replaced 3 of the 4 windows to the tune of $800 a PIECE! I have just now reached 70k miles and my transmission is shot. It appears this is a very common problem and VW refueses to deal with it or make good on it. I now have over 5k in repairs into this vehicle that is not worth much and my mechanic is saying another 5800k to get it going again. I have loved the look of my car and how fun it is to drive.....BUT, I will Never ever by another VW. what a money pit!!

Worst car we have ever owned
By jpj22 on 02/26/13 05:19 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Stay away from this lemon. We got my wife a new one in Aug 2005. That was the happiest day or her life until we got rid of it and then that was the happiest day of her life. Transmission problems, rear side window problems, top problems, sensor problems trim problems. There is no room in the car. I have nothing good to say about this lemon.

Why I regret buying the 2005 Volkswagon New Beetle
By javidiaz on 05/18/12 18:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I made the huge mistake of purchasing a 2005 Volkswagon New Beetle last year. This was a used car meant to be a small retirement gift to myself, and a year later, after 4 visits to the mechanic, $2500.00 dollars in repairs and a looming transmission problem, I am now faced with having to trade this blue nightmare in for a more reliable car. Any smile I had on my face was wiped off by the pure unreliable nature of this vehicle and what this year of driving what I consider the worst vehicle ever made has been to me. I have owned Ford, Dodge, Honda, and never experienced a poorly engineered vehicle until I drove the 2005 VW New Beetle. Heed my review and stay away from these cars.

Fun but won't buy another!
By k8t on 08/25/10 10:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought car used with only 6k miles at wholesale price, these are way too over priced brand new. PROS: fun to drive, ICE cold AC good mpg. No engine problems, replaced breaks at 45k miles. I totaled this car with only 50k miles, t-boned red light runner going about 45 mph and airbags went off even with airbag sensor on (recall), was uninjured and car kept me safe. CONS: cd player went out, gutless with AC on, a few electric issues, drivers side headlight and tail light had to be replaced 2x in 3 years and its a HUGE pain. Biggest problem was back window not rolling up or down, its a $800 fix since they have to remove back seat. Fun but won't be buying another when I get paid by insurance!

Fun in the sun : )
By that 70's girl on 07/17/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

Purchased this car from a dealer as a 2 year lease turn in. From the minute I saw it, I was in love. It's a real head turner. This is my 4th VW, bought a new '74 Beetle for college and 2 Rabbits after that. Pure fun to drive every where I go, people comment on what a cute car it is. have had check engine light issues but I have my BIL reset until it goes off again. I like the Turbo when it kicks in on the interstate. I can keep up with just about everyone. Minor things can be annoying but I don't care. I bought the car for fun and it delivers every time I drive it :))

Just a cute car, not worth it!
By shannon on 05/03/10 22:41 PM (PDT)

For once in my life I wanted a cute car. I got it. Used 2005 GLS lt Blue with a gray top. Yes, I got thumbs up and smiles from perfect strangers. It fit my personality to a T. I made it through the 1st yr, then the back side window broke. right after the warranty ran out! $600 to repair! The other window broke late 2008. I've just dealt with it. The top has now messed up and as I was was hand washing it I saw the top material has pulled away from the back window, water leaking in! Grant it I have 94,000 miles on it. They just don't make them like they used to. I decided it's time for a GOOD car and bought a 2010 Kia Forte Coupe. Yep still FUN, but worth it!

Get a manual
By Sarah on 04/21/10 09:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After reading some of these reviews, I'm not surprised that people had a lot of problems with the automatic transmission. My second VW was an automatic and I had to replace the transmission at 60K miles. Instead of letting the lease run it's course, I got a great deal on my Bug Convertible. It's a manual transmission and have experienced NONE of the problems that my last VW had. The car is fun and sporty. Not too fast, but I drive like an old lady anyway. I also don't commute for work so my mileage is way low. I would recommend this car to anyone that's willing to buy manual, makes it even more fun.

"Beauty is the beginning of terror!"
By Chuck on 03/14/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

I bought the most beautiful 2005 New Beetle convertible ever built. Midnight blue with beige interior. And that's the best thing I can say about the car. Nearly four years and 30,000 miles later and I can only tell you to avoid this product at all costs. If you must, lease it. Engine compartment fire, windows on the passenger side disentgrating on thir own, water pump, brakes, front struts, burned out headlights, check engine lights come on whenever they please, poor gas mileage on 93, convertible roof is moody, plastic and rubber parts fall off in the night to be found on the floor in the morning, interior peels on hot days, locks won't work on cold days, new radio, I can go on,

My first VW
By Maureen on 03/14/09 08:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have recentlly purchased the 2005 New Bettle converatable here in Fl and will be driving it home to Mass. I have owned BMS, Jaguars etc. I am sooo sorry I bought this VW. The warranty ran out 24 days ago, The first day i went to put the rear drivers window down it went down and never came back up. I called VW warrenty Company, they would not offer a dime for repair.Vehicle has only 14K miles.Reading the reviews there is a major window regulator problem with the plastic pieces on the regulator breaking and has been a long ongoing defect.when the class action Law Suit starts on this vehicle I will be on board. I would NEVER buy a VW again. NOW I AM AFRAID TO PUT THE WINDOWS DOWN,ALSO THE TOP