2005 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
fun driving car but parts don't last long
By jbdonkey on 07/11/14 07:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I owned two beetle tdi (2003 and 2005 model). I always bought them used and over 100000 miles on meters. They drive smoothly but the interiors are horrible. The door panels are never good. I have look at least twenty beetles from craigslist posts and the plastic or leather parts are bad. Their sale price is way lower compared to Japanese. Since I drive 200 mile every day in commuting and i really care about the gas millage. so I can live with that. If VW try to earn the market, they should know how to improve this. By the way, the parts are not cheap in this car.

45 miles to the gallon
By Gilbug on 02/13/08 10:12 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love this car however the trunk lock does not work. The power windows go up and down as they please and the interior clock runs fast, about 5 minutes per month. Other than that a great gas car.

Surprise! I love this car!
By Diane on 01/08/08 18:29 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car a year ago when it was 2 years old-- never thought of buying a VW but was looking for a diesel & this was the only one available. It's so much bigger and more comfortable than it looks like it would be-- my sister says it's nicer to ride in than my BMW 3 convertible was! And I got 47 MPG on my Christmas trip to Florida this year!!! I'm buying 10 gallons of gas every 10-15 days and commuting 50 miles a day, averaging between 38 and 42 mpg (lower when the AC is on). I know the VWs have some maintenance issues, but I've had no problems so far. It's a really enjoyable car to drive.

Good Car
By Aaron on 09/14/06 12:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2005 VW Beetle is a very good car. We have had it 1.5 years and have put 75,000 miles on it. It has had no problems and we get 45 MPG highway. It is one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. We got 60,000 miles on the factory tires. The dealership was impressive also, they provide good customer service. I will buy one again.

A Return to Basics
By magicxtian on 12/02/05 23:10 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

After ten years in the world of trucks, I returned to VW, choosing the Beetle, 20+ years from my first such vehicle. This car is incredibly well built and solid considering its' compact size. Its Interior features are on the high end, making the modern day drive quite easy. The gas mileage on the TDI is over two-and-a-half times improved over my guzzling trucks of yore. It handles great in wintery conditions, accelerates like a charm, and is a real pleasure to drive, even for 6+ hour hauls. If you live in cold climates, I'd recommend the cold weather package as heated seats make a world of difference. Summertime begs for the sun/moon roof, a standard on my model.

Yes, it is fun to drive but not comfy.
By buggy tag on 09/19/05 10:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought the car for the fuel economy and the looks. I have a large SUV and wanted something else to run around in to save gas when I am not hauling tons of kids. I get around 29 mpg both highway 60% and city 40%. I can't get the fuel economy that is stated. I am not a lead foot either. Check this before you buy one. This car is really meant for no more then two people in terms of comfort. I would hate to take a trip in this. The seats are not comfortable at all. They need to build them like domestic seats are built here. Teens hate the back seat. Up to 13 years is O.K. but isn't comfy. Also my dash and handles are peeling the top layer already, I'm not hard on vehicles.

Love it!
By Beth A on 06/29/05 16:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I was really nervous plunking down $22,000 cash for this car, but so far I'm thrilled with it. It's so comfortable -- tons of room inside. The engine has lots of power and it's getting more than 40MPG. I debated between a hybrid and this, and I'm so glad I got this -- it's so much more fun to drive compared to the relatively blah hybrids. The back seat is really, really tight -- not a problem for me since I have no kids, but if you need to use the back seat for anything more than storing stuff, you probably shoudl think twice. But I really have no complaints at all.

buy it
By JBo on 03/07/05 15:03 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Awesome car! Fuel economy is a plus, although the potential to have fun and drive this car aggressively doesn't help fuel economy. I don't miss my Audi A6 quattro one bit. In the first month I drove from Durham NC to Florida for the hoidays and felt safe sailing along I95 with big rigs, SUVs and countless bad drivers. I got waves, smiles and only stopped for diesel once on the way down - about 500 miles into the trip. I wouldn't want to sit in the back seat for too long, but I had plenty of room for all my xmas presents on the way home!! Go for it, you know you want one!

WOW
By Paul on 01/22/05 21:52 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is our third Volkswagen, and our second new Beetle. We decided to go with the TDI on this sunflower yellow purchase. Overall the interior and exterior are pretty much the same as our 2002 turbo GLX Beetle, with the exception of the diesel engine. So far the Beetle has lived up to everything that Volkswagen has promised from it. The fit and finish are excellent. For a diesel it is amazingly quiet and is responsive to acceleration. It has surpassed our expectations on mile to the gallon. My fun meter is always pegged whenever I drive either Beetle. I can't say enough good things about the new beetle. Suspension, handling, economy, acceleration, features, fun, it is peerless in its class.