Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Fabulous beetle
By Dexxie

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used with 12,000 miles on it and have owned it for ten years. I've not really had any problems with it. In the first nine years I owned it the only things I had to replace were brakes, lights because they generally last a year and the driver's side window. I believe the weather in Wisconsin has a dramatic influence on how the windows operate. To release the pressure on the window on my convertible, I use a credit card to break the seal from the frozen ice in the winter. Another thing I've learned to do in the winter is leave the window down a little so when the temp changes the window doesn't get iced over.

Nothing But Headaches!!!!
By kelboom01

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car used with 25,000 miles on it and within first year was met with of course the rear window not working issue that looks as though is a "normal" problem with this type of car. So needless to say $1,000 to fix and then front headlights blew out twice within a few months???
Now dealing with transmission "bucking" issues and passenger window not working and convertible roof not working!!!! help!!!!!
NEVER AGAIN BUYING A VW...

The look of it and when the convertible roof was working was fun to drive

Please VW issue a recall on all window regulators so save you buyers from these headaches...

volks
By richard coughlin

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

so far I like the car. The car handles well and is fun to drive. It is good in the snow. The fuel mileage is not impressive. I got around 26 mpg in mixed driving. There are a lot of rattles when driving over potholes. I bought the car for the fun factor. I'm waiting for the spring so I can put the top down. Also I plan on wintering in the sun-belt starting next year so I bought the convertible. I hope gas prices do not rise a lot more. To early for a fair reliability assesment

handles well. plenty of exterior room in the front.

make the diesel engine convertible available in the U.S. , or improve the gas mileage of your other beetles.