2005 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Great little car!
By NVServ on 05/22/06 20:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't regretted for an instant buying this little guy. Other than some warranty work for an airbag issue, which was dealt with painlessly on my part (including a loaner car for the month we were without his services), he has handled beautifully and been trouble free!

Still With Personality
By GREG TIBBETTS on 05/15/06 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

IMy initial attraction is the clean J.Mays / Freeman styling, but excellent interior materials and ergonomics make the Beetle better than similarly priced cars. This car has many detail improvements over the similar 2002 New Beetle. Its 6-speed auto transmission is a huge improvement over the old 4-speed design and even 5-speed manual that refused to accept a quick shift. It has excellent brakes and safety aids, both passive and active. Its handling is not particularly responsive, but safe and predictable. This car is able to cruise at high speeds with less wind noise than than in the past because of the 6-speed gearing. It turns approximately 3,000 RPM at 78 MPH. The leatherette looks like real leaather and is more luxurious than cloth. Plus car is style-proof.

2005 VW Beetle
By Becky Hunter on 01/27/06 20:15 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My first car was a 1957 Beetle and when fuel prices began to rise, I sold my Honda Passport and purchased my 2005 Beetle. I love it, we live in a mountainous region and with four adults in the car, all I have to do is switch my Tiptronic transmission from auto to manual, shift into 5th and I scoot right up the mountains without skipping a beat. It hugs the road and is so much fun to drive, I feel like a teenager again! My 74 year old Father loves to drive it as well and is looking at getting one for my Mom! We are considering another one for my husband, so I can keep him out of mine :) He was surprised at the pep when he drove it for the first time.

Beetle
By alicat715@aol.com on 12/11/04 14:57 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I thought this would be a fun, cool car and I hate it!! I can't wait to get out of my lease. It's cute...and that's about it. Every perk about the car is cosmetic. It looks nice. That's about the only thing I like about it. The cup holders are small...only can use one. The engine is small--NO power. I had an 8 yr old ask me, "Bugs are slow, huh?" b/c there is no power. I should have got the turbo engine...I might have been a little more satisfied.

2005 Beetle GL 5sd manual
By aloisio on 11/23/04 13:16 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely solid vehicle, very responsive to driver command. Good not great acceleration, excellent drivetrain, with smooth shifting and ultra sensitive clutch manipulation. Steering articulates well with little to no tire slippage under severe cornering. Wonderful interior ergonomics and ease of operation. Easy to read clear gauge panel with good back light. Very comfortable seating and adjustability. Overall just a GREAT car!