Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

fun driving car but parts don't last long
By jbdonkey

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I owned two beetle tdi (2003 and 2005 model). I always bought them used and over 100000 miles on meters. They drive smoothly but the interiors are horrible. The door panels are never good. I have look at least twenty beetles from craigslist posts and the plastic or leather parts are bad. Their sale price is way lower compared to Japanese. Since I drive 200 mile every day in commuting and i really care about the gas millage. so I can live with that. If VW try to earn the market, they should know how to improve this. By the way, the parts are not cheap in this car.

Favorite Features

shape

Suggested Improvements

really need to improve the plastic parts inside and under the hood. they do not last long.

Nothing But Headaches!!!!
By kelboom01

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car used with 25,000 miles on it and within first year was met with of course the rear window not working issue that looks as though is a "normal" problem with this type of car. So needless to say $1,000 to fix and then front headlights blew out twice within a few months??? Now dealing with transmission "bucking" issues and passenger window not working and convertible roof not working!!!! help!!!!! NEVER AGAIN BUYING A VW...

Favorite Features

The look of it and when the convertible roof was working was fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Please VW issue a recall on all window regulators so save you buyers from these headaches...

Run... dont walk and find another car!!
By doodlebughi

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my turbo conv. beetle used in 08 with 39000 miles on it. I starting having problems with the drivers side window not going down within the first year and it just escalated from there. I have since replaced 3 of the 4 windows to the tune of $800 a PIECE! I have just now reached 70k miles and my transmission is shot. It appears this is a very common problem and VW refueses to deal with it or make good on it. I now have over 5k in repairs into this vehicle that is not worth much and my mechanic is saying another 5800k to get it going again. I have loved the look of my car and how fun it is to drive.....BUT, I will Never ever by another VW. what a money pit!!

Worst car we have ever owned
By jpj22

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Stay away from this lemon. We got my wife a new one in Aug 2005. That was the happiest day or her life until we got rid of it and then that was the happiest day of her life. Transmission problems, rear side window problems, top problems, sensor problems trim problems. There is no room in the car. I have nothing good to say about this lemon.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

discontinue production

CUTE! But a Dream down the hole...
By skuzziboi1

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Bi-Color Edition 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Okay so I have been a Beetle fan for as long as I can remember, I bought myself a 2005 VW BEETLE BI COLOR ED! I was so stoked, it was black and maroon, most def an eye turned. It was very fun to drive and had all the bells and whistles except for a turbo. Anywho, after hitting 90k the Tranny started to give me problems, I was determined to keep my car but sadly had to trade it in to obtain the most for its value while it still had value. It became so scary to drive, I would stall at stop signs or traffic lights, some days I would forget I had issues all together because some days it would be perfectly fine and other days it would act up. And yes this is the tranny..... Please dont buy

Favorite Features

The two toned color and sound system, also its very CUTE!

Suggested Improvements

FIX THE TRANNY, come'on engineers!!