Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Fabulous beetle
By Dexxie

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used with 12,000 miles on it and have owned it for ten years. I've not really had any problems with it. In the first nine years I owned it the only things I had to replace were brakes, lights because they generally last a year and the driver's side window. I believe the weather in Wisconsin has a dramatic influence on how the windows operate. To release the pressure on the window on my convertible, I use a credit card to break the seal from the frozen ice in the winter. Another thing I've learned to do in the winter is leave the window down a little so when the temp changes the window doesn't get iced over.

The cutest!!!
By Tracy Wilson

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this cute car!!! It's perfect for me with the sunroof leather interior etc. I feel like I'm driving my Audi A4 convertible

Fun to drive, but never again.
By Casey S

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car, and I regret not doing enough researchow on it. Since I bought late 2014, I've had many, many problems. It's almost not worth keeping, considering the repairs have cost almost as much as I paid for it. I beg you, don't fall for the cute style and fun drive like I did. You will regret it.

fun driving car but parts don't last long
By jbdonkey

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I owned two beetle tdi (2003 and 2005 model). I always bought them used and over 100000 miles on meters. They drive smoothly but the interiors are horrible. The door panels are never good. I have look at least twenty beetles from craigslist posts and the plastic or leather parts are bad. Their sale price is way lower compared to Japanese. Since I drive 200 mile every day in commuting and i really care about the gas millage. so I can live with that. If VW try to earn the market, they should know how to improve this. By the way, the parts are not cheap in this car.

shape

really need to improve the plastic parts inside and under the hood. they do not last long.

Nothing But Headaches!!!!
By kelboom01

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car used with 25,000 miles on it and within first year was met with of course the rear window not working issue that looks as though is a "normal" problem with this type of car. So needless to say $1,000 to fix and then front headlights blew out twice within a few months???
Now dealing with transmission "bucking" issues and passenger window not working and convertible roof not working!!!! help!!!!!
NEVER AGAIN BUYING A VW...

The look of it and when the convertible roof was working was fun to drive

Please VW issue a recall on all window regulators so save you buyers from these headaches...