Worst Mistake Of My Life
By design_o_mite on
2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Within three days of buying a 2004 Beetle convertible from a used dealer for $8,600 (incl CA sales tax and dealer fees), it became obvious the tranny had issues. (88K miles on the car.) Less than 2 months later, I've replaced the transmission, and axle, the triptronic...to the tune of $6500. I'm not into this car 15K and every week, something new (engine valve) keeps popping up. The dealer had to have known--the car didn't "know" what gear it was in the first time I took it on the highway. It only made it the 5 miles home after purchase uneventful. I've now maxed out my credit cards and even w/ the new tranny, the car is STILL shifting choppily!
Favorite Features
It's cute. What a facade.
Suggested Improvements
RECALLS! No car under 100K miles should need a new tranny and this much work. This car has so many known issues (tranny, valve body, headlights, convertible top, windows, computer, interior features falling apart...)that VW should be ashamed of themselves. People who like Beetles are creative types- people who want to be different, and now we are being punished for attempting individuality. It's sad. This car has effectively cleaned out my bank account, maxed out my cards, sent my stress level through the roof...and there is no end in sight, as just yesterday, the engine valve code came up after the car jerked. I hope this car makes a good house, cuz I'm gonna need to live it!
By atraveladdict
on 05/21/12 01:28 AM (PDT)

I have the same car and almost all these issues. The shifting problem may feel and seem like a transmission issue, but also check out the engine's throttle position sensor - TPS. I have had to replace it twice and solves the problem!

By atraveladdict
on 05/21/12 01:29 AM (PDT)

Also, you might want to try to purse the lemon law!

By rcashin
on 10/28/12 17:41 PM (PDT)

Well for all of those who are experiencing issues with your auto transmissions from 2003-2006 they almost all have a problem that develops with the Valve Body inside the ransmission. Many companies and dealers have been replacing the entire transmission when just replacing the Valvebody with the new version (recommended replacement part) this solves the issue. average cost installed is $1450.00 However VW has done an extenstion on warranty on all these vehicle to repair them with in a time frame from the date of service by adding 2 years and 24k more miles. This means never pay for a transmission entirely. If you have already done so and it was performed at a VW dealership you may be entiled to reimbursemnet for the transmission repair. I have now work through this issue on 3 of these and since being repaired properly they have not had any issues. For the person that paid for a new transmission m=if it was a rebuild job most transmission repair facilities donot change the valve bodt if the transmission was a factory OEM new it may have still have the old version valve body. Go to you repair shop or dealer and insist it be repaired properly at no charge. You have a strong case for your side.

By rcashin
on 10/28/12 17:48 PM (PDT)

design_o-mite please do not give up. these cars have thier quirks but once you know themand how to deal with them all can be over come and you will enjoy this car. Unfortunately most mechanics are more interested in your money than resolving the issues. When the see the VW or Audi symbol on your car they see money in the bank. Most repairs are very simple and not that difficult to perform. I hope that you can recover from such a dissappointment. You should consider getting you money back with the shop for not resolving the issue and performing work that was uneeded.