2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: It's Got Go.

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

It's Got Go.
By feedle on

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

What an amazing, fun little car. I have a TDI diesel, with the Tiptronic transmission, and this is hands down the most fun car I've ever driven. Out of the gate mine has had a few minor hiccups (CD player stopped playing CDs on the fourth day, airbag system isn't working properly [diag. light]), but the dealerships I've dealt with have been quick to repair and cooperative. And, the fuel economy is AMAZING! 400-500 miles on a tank of diesel is "normal" for this car, and with some conservative driving, I've pushed it to nearly 600. A worthy successor to the "Beetle" name.

Favorite Features

It's.. just.. so.. darn.. cute! MP3-capable CD player was a nice touch. Tiptronic transmission is the best of both worlds: automatic for the routine trips, but easy downshifting for hills.. or when I want to feel like I'm a teenager again. Oh, and chicks dig it.

Suggested Improvements

There is no place on the dashboard to really install any electronics, like a Sirius reciever or my iPod. Also, the cupholders are completely useless.. even a 16oz can of soda is difficult to get out. Also, the "default" wheels scratch way to easily.