I would not recommend this car.
By SAM# on
2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)
This car to me is very much not worth the money. There are way too many problems with the car as you can read on the other forums here in edmunds. I have had mine for four months and overall am not happy with it. The automatic transmission is not good at all - horrible shifting at all the wrong times. Cruise control is the worst I've used on any car. At cruseing speed the engine whines at a most annoying pitch also. MANY problems with the Beetle and check engine lights, airbag lights, power windows not working correctly, motors on the hatch not working with many other problems. This is not a one car problem, so watch what you buy.
Favorite Features
I do like the ABS, it works very well so far and yes, I have had to use it - twice! The factory MP3 playing CD player is also good for my use. Handling of the car and no major rattling of the interior.
Suggested Improvements
FIX the cruise and the automatic transmission! Also quality control must be very bad for so many cars back to thier delarship withen two months of purchase. I used to like VWs but now I'm too scared to try again.