A fun little car!
By mjvoigts on
2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I LOVE my bug!!! I have flowers decked out all over it and it really turns heads! It is zippy and fun and the convertible top is great for Florida. I have had it in the shop for multiple repairs, but they've all been covered under warranty. The tires get bald quick, and the battery only lasted a year, though. Warranty covered a complete re-do of the electrical system, and a new top as the back window was falling out. The interior paint is so fun, but it does chip and that looks tacky. But I do looooove my car!! Also, with the Turbo engine, the mileage kind of stinks, and it requires premium fuel...
Favorite Features
The look of it, the convertible top, the snazzy way it drives.
Suggested Improvements
Improve the mileage, make it more reliable, and put some sort of a sealant over the interior paint to make it more durable. Buyer beware: get an extended warranty on this car!!
By design_o_mite
on 01/31/12 13:12 PM (PST)

Why does this car have such a high consumer rating when about 75% of the reviews list it as a lemon? I don't think people are filling out the forms right, or something else is going on. I just checked the reliability of this car on here, and it has the transmission as good. WHAT?! It is a KNOWN FACT that these cars have transmission issues UNDER 70K miles, the valve body was even RECALLED, the triptronic fails, the windows don't work, the tops leak...I've had this car 2 months (and I purchased it very much based on your MISLEADING rating on here) and I've already put $6500 into it ON TOP of the $8600 I paid for it! That is in 2 MONTHS!!!!! AND now the engine valve has an issue, and even WITH the NEW tranny, the car is still shifting choppily! I could have had a brand new and equally cute Fiat for what I've now spent, maxing out my credit cards in the process. Someone needs to FIX this rating because it does not reflect the reviews--- why would a person calling this car a lemon and saying they'd never buy a VW again give it 4 or 5 stars?-- something is not computing here!!! And of the good ratings, notice that most of those reviewers JUST purchased the car-- give them 6 months and they'll be back on here changing their tune. And they mostly just say it's cute-- yeah-- I fell into that trap too. This car is an insane MONEY PIT and your wallet will suffer until the bitter end! Check the ratings versus the actual typed complaints and you will see horrific discordance-- I trusted this site, and it failed me miserably! BEWARE!!!!!