Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

The Girls Win!
By Cyndi

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 3 year old daughter was a huge "Wiggles" fan in '03-'04. If you aren't aware, the Wiggles car is a red VW Beetle Convertible. Being a stay at home Mom, we always laughed and said what fun it would be to have a "Wiggles Car!" The more I saw the new Beetle Convertibles on the road, the more I had to have one! We live in NC, and spend a lot of time on the streets around our home riding with the top down. My little girl loves the wind blowing through her hair as much as I do! The car is so fun and such a conversation piece! Many people comment that they love my bug, & I have people pull up at stop lights & tell us they "love the bug." It makes me feel so young & full of life. After 19 months, I still LOVE it! It's a KEEPER!

The radio is awesome. The body style is what sold me. I would have bought it even with a manual convertible top, so I am THRILLED it's so easy / electric! The color..RED! 5 speed manual transmission...it so fun to drive!! The flower holder....how cool!

I would like more power. The trunk is very small, but I need more room in the back seat, so I don't know of a solution without changing the body style. The handles on the seats are too easy to break (first day). Cup holders need new engineering. Fix the electronics - mine spent 2 1/2 hours in the shop getting its air bag sensor replaced.

Like to Worry About What Will Break Next
By Not happy

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My VW Beetle's air bag sensors keep breaking, making them inoperable. I have had this problem repaired twice, the automatic top repaired three times, window regulators, clamps and motor repaired for a total of four times, and seat release replaced twice. The radio hisses, never fixed as it is a "design flaw." All of the windows rattle so badly the car sounds like it is falling apart at times, never fixed "design flaw."

The exterior retro design is what made me buy the car, but it is so unreliable that it is not fun to drive.

Volkswagen need to seriously improve their build quality before I would ever consider buying another one. If you enjoy visiting the dealership for repairs, this is the car for you.

Beware of Electrical Problems
By Kristen

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Even though this car is absolutely darling, it has had numberous electrical problems. I have had my car in about five times for electrical problems. Windows unaligned causing rain to come in, not going back up or down, radio stays on when key is removed door shut and locked, air bag light on, coolant light on, tail lights going out several times and the dealership just does not care about it at all. I am trading it in and going back to Toyota. I will miss my little bug but it's unreliable. Good thing I don't work, I would be fired for the times I have been without a car and unable to go anywhere. I am afraid to take it on a road trip. Purchase a Toyota or Honda.

Convertible, cuteness, comfort and such a blast to drive. Children just love to look at it, everyone smiles at me when I am driving around in it. It really is the cutest little thing.

The trunk is hard to close, cup holders are too short and in the wrong spot. VW needs to work on their customer service. They do not care at all about their customers. Remember, it is the customers that keep you in business and we have many automakers to choose from.

Not Particularly Happy
By chris love

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Today I sit in the service department for approximately the 10th time in 2 years for yet another repair that has nothing to do with regularly scheduled maintenance. I purchased a new car to avoid this type of situation. It's a cutie, but it has ultimately been a disappointment as far as quality, especially electrical components. I am trading it in for a more boring but infinitely more reliable Japanese model after today. If you have a lot of time on your hands to spend in service dept waiting rooms this is the car for you! good luck...you've been warned!

Big mistake
By Bluesunbug

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used. It was Clean on Carfax and had only 6,700 miles on it. I have only had it month and a half. It has been back for repairs 4 times. The window stopped going up and the convertible top would jam. Also, it has starting squeeking and rattling so much it drives you nuts. VW service is the worst. They take forever to get you your car back and then most times have not fixed it properly. I am fed up already thinking of bailing. I had a 99 Isuzu Amigo that ran 10x better and never a problem. I should have learned about German cars from our nightmare BMW 740i.

Cute factor, handles well, when I have gotten to drive it.

The cupholders are a joke. I can't put in an in-dash CD player. Not real problem with ipod. Really noisy. Bad quality.