Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Big mistake
By Bluesunbug

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used. It was Clean on Carfax and had only 6,700 miles on it. I have only had it month and a half. It has been back for repairs 4 times. The window stopped going up and the convertible top would jam. Also, it has starting squeeking and rattling so much it drives you nuts. VW service is the worst. They take forever to get you your car back and then most times have not fixed it properly. I am fed up already thinking of bailing. I had a 99 Isuzu Amigo that ran 10x better and never a problem. I should have learned about German cars from our nightmare BMW 740i.

Cute factor, handles well, when I have gotten to drive it.

The cupholders are a joke. I can't put in an in-dash CD player. Not real problem with ipod. Really noisy. Bad quality.

Blast from the past
By Kathi

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have only owned 1 previous VW. It was in 1968. I wanted a new one every since I saw the new design. They just keep getting better. The gas isn't what it use to be, but the quality out weighs that. What a pleasure to have this automobile. Driving it is so much fun. The only thing that I didn't get when I bought it was the wind stopper. Other then that I wouldn't have any other car. I picked the black over the silver convertible because it seemed so rich looking. It is everything I ever could have imagined. I love this car!

The convertible of course. Next would be the steering. This little bug just hugs the corners so well it is incredible.

None that I can think of at this time.

Love it!
By woodog

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great car for the money. I was driving a suburban for the last 6 years and decided I wanted a car. NOthing tickled my fancy quite like the convertible bug! Not quite impressed with the stereo though.

Everything! Love that turbo!

Get rid of that annoying seat belt dinging!!! If I choose to not wear my seatbelt I have having to be forced to listen to that dinging! Also, the VW emblem on the steering wheel is easily scratched....and the only way to replace it is to buy a whole new airbag system...ridiculous!

good fun
By Anne

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great fun to drive and decent mileage. After driving a Mazda Rx-7 for 15 years, the backseat of the VW convertible looks roomy to me. Unfortunately getting in the back seat can be a problem. The handle to lift up, which causes the front seat to push forward allowing entry to the rear is designed so most people attempt to pull it out before lifting it up. The handle then breaks off. One of the handles had to be fixed before I took delivery of the car, and then has broken twice since then (even after total replacement), before I could warn people to "lift" the handle and not to pull it out. The "retro" look is great!

Love the manual transmission and ease of putting down the convertible top.

Change the handle pushing the front seats forward to gain entry to the back seat. Either make it stronger or redesign it as a lever instead of a handle. The top sometimes sticks in putting the convertible top down. Keep the retro look, add a silver door strip to prevent dings to sides of car.

Fun, fun, fun
By Brenda Siewert

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for a great convertible that would be reliable transportation. This VW convertible never fails to turn heads and get a smile from everyone. We flew to Nashville, TN to pick it up and drove it back to Austin, TX. For 2 over 50 baby-boomers, it was a surprisingly smooth ride home. Very impressed with the power top and pep of the 2.0 liter automatic. It's a second car that's a fun weekend driver, but a very small area for luggage and other passengers. Worth the money. VW is a great automobile.

Power top. Monsoon sound system. Aquarius Blue color. Great style.