2004 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
This is a nice car!
By Tierri on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

What was most surprising to me was the headroom. I'm 6'4" and I had the opportunity to sit in one. Prior to that I was sure I wouldn't fit. I commute about 100 miles a day twice a week to my job, and find the VW New Beetle to be a viable commuter car. This car is stylish and comfortable when the commute gets tedious. I have two issues with this car: no pop out rear window, and the noise when the sunfoof is fully open. I also have to admit VW created a compromise on the latter issue by creating a sequentially opening window. This way you can open the sunroof partially without increasing the road noise.

the beetle is awesome
By Linda Green on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

awesome little car. very fun to drive. the mileage is great. it's very responsive.

everybody's lookin'
By A Craig on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had VW bugs, both sedans and conv. over the years- a. 56 bug b. 62 bug c. 64 bug conv. d. 71 Ghia conv. e. 78 Super bug conv. I just wanted another, never had a new one; but this time I wanted lots of features and comfort with thew VW bug aura. Everyone in the the whole neighborhood wanted rides in it- they still do! Great fun! Great feeling!

Front & Rear Impact
By Dora on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I actually have a 2005 Beetle Conv. I was hit from the rear by an SUV doing @ 40-45 mph. I was at a stop. The impact pushed me into & under the Ford F150 in front of me, and pushed us both through the intersection. My air bag deployed and my rear seat roll over protection deployed. My car was a total loss at an estimate in excess of $21,000. I bought another beetle.

My beetle & Me
By clc2580 on 10/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

When the New Beetle Hatchback came out in 1998, I knew that I wanted have one as my very own. But once the word was out about the Convertible I had to get it instead. I own a Sundown Orange one w/black-grey interior....which was very hard to get (limited availibity in NJ) and I absoultely love it! Great handling, quiet smooth ride, love the blue and red dash...rear seats are more spacious than I thought. Trunk space is a little disappointing, but the head room and "open" feel of the interior makes up for it. It's almost like a clown car...looks so small outside, but once inside you feel so comfortable. My tallest friends (at around 6'2") fit without any trouble. Limited glove box storage....

2004 Bettle V.W.
By bobw007 on 10/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What a fun car to drive! The built in flower vase is too cool! A step back in time to the era of the original V.W. I am 6'5 and a big man! I have more room in the front seat than a new cadillac! The seats lower and raise, go back and tilt. The dash lighting at night is just unreal! Purple and Vibrant red colors! The motorized roof is way too cool! Not only moves back & forth but up! Lot's of power in the standard engine, smooth shifting and fantastic handling on corners and turns. Very stable. These come loaded, I like the 4 air bags and seat belt ratings- a very safe car!

a good friend to travel with
By vwbugr1 on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Its just a great car in more ways that one: great gas mileage, dependable - not a problem with it since I have had it - sporty and smart - handles great on the highway - I live in PA and it has been terrific in the snow - I am getting ready to purchase a second one. I travel long distances with it and not once have I been let down - I never worry about getting stuck in a bad part of a town I don't know with this car - vw knows what they are doing - drive one you'll see...

luvmybug
By krislvsbug on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far so good. I have had a few interior issues ie: Window sensor briken after first mont, passenger side reare seat handle broke off after little use but dealer very easy to deal with and issues not large enough to upset me. Get more people stopping me and talking about my car. Even my husband loves to drive :)

Diesel Slug Bug
By flthc on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Averageing 40 mpg @ 40% highway 60% city driving with the 1.9 TDI 6A. It's pretty peppy to boot. Better gas milage than the hybrids at a fraction of the cost. NO SMOKE or SMELL and great mileage, why would anyone not get the TDI?? I paid 17,200 plus tax and I got a price quote from deales from this web site in my area. Very pleased!

Over the Moon
By HarvestMoon Babe on 09/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Recently, I purchased a Harvest Moon Beige VW Beetle Convertible. I must say that I am enjoying this car tremendously. It is so much fun to drive, so much so, that sometimes I am disappointed when I reach my destination. I have not had a problem with my car thus far. The exterior looks great, the interior is "slamming" and the sound system is fantastic. I love the interior lights and the CD player. I am totally satisfied with my purchase. Indeed, when driving this car, one gets lots of stares, smiles, and thumbs up!