Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

People's Car?? Not this one.
By Virginia&George

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Yes you change oil every 5000 miles, but you have to go to the dealer and buy SPECIAL VW oil?? To do any basic maintenance you need a degree in mechanics?! Even then, you may not be able to reach the fitting or part that you want to service because it is so cramped and difficult. Now after 3 years we have problems: (a) difficulty in starting cold engine in the morning, (b) things fall apart inside the cabin (ashtray, window controls, hand-brake knob, etc.), (c) when you start engine lots of white smoke is delivered by exhaust pipe.

Fuel economy.

Make the car RELIABLE as the old Beetle.

Listen to the lemons!
By queromare

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Like many others, I couldn't list all the things that are wrong with this car. The most important one is it stalls constantly when its 100+ degrees outside. Completely unreliable, gas tank exploded one day and poured gasoline everywhere, numerous electrical problems. The car is adorable and pretty fun, but has no power, a terrible turning radius and is poorly designed for comfort inside. A vase isn't worth the hassle. I ignored the warnings, don't make the same mistake as I did! This stupid thing has cost me $6,000 so far! I now pay $500/month for it to sit on the driveway! I won't drive it past warranty! Doesn't even get good mileage ie 25/gallon!

The convertible top and amazing Monsoon stereo.

Love My Bug
By ladybug

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My dealer's service dept. has been pretty good to work with, I have no major complaints. I love driving my bug. It is fun and everyone justs loves it! It's been very reliable. Every day I want the roof down! The turbo is great for getting on highways! The interior cup holders are very poorly designed though and it didn't come with a CD player. The trunk is hard to close at times. These are minor issues. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

It's so darn cute!

Give it better cup holders and trunk latch.

What Fun!
By bbg

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am having a wonderful time driving this car! It handles beautifully and brings an element of fun to my dull, everyday driving. Just put the top down and go! Even strangers make comments about how great looking the car is. It has a zip to its acceleration. We have had four of us ride comfortably, and the trunk has room, more than you would expect (15 plastic grocery bags worth of room!). Its gas mileage is excellent, and I don't cry when I fill up at $3.00 a gallon. The roof has not had one drip or leak even in the heavy rain. This car has surprised me with its many small touches of thoughtful design (e.g. the cupholder that moves right to accommodate a large size bottle). A+ choice!

The electric convertible top is this car's "knock one out of the park" feature. I really like the heated seats, the "four windows at once" button, the security key, the front and side airbags,and the moving cup holder. This car even came with a solar panel to charge the battery!

I would suggest a CD player (already available on newer models) and clearer directions for taking care of the top.

2004 VW Beetle GL Coupe
By jesmari

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for the small unique design. It is fun to drive and has great stability. It is very reliable. The only con is a minor electrical fault in the airbag system. The system frequently gave a false alert of having problems, without there actually being a problem.

The spacy interior design, great road stability, and good fuel economy.

Give it a better electrical system. Continue to make the "turbo" engine .. and include Turbo automatic transmission.