2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Sort Reviews by

Awsome
By missfrenchhorn

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE THIS CAR

One great "fun loving" car!
By Dawn Morton

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Comfort beyond any expectation. Smooth riding and reasonably responsive. Absolutely no driver fatigue over long distances. Wind noise is minimal with top down. Build quality is exceptional for a car costing so little. Has very "solid" feel". To our surprise, we enjoy this car as much for long distance driving as we do for around town transportation. We own two Mercedes and a GMC Yukon. We love our Bug the best!

Favorite Features

Convertable feature and manual transmission. Seats are very comfortable, with adequate adjustments

Suggested Improvements

Electric seat adjustment(s) option.

the beetle is awesome
By Linda Green

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

awesome little car. very fun to drive. the mileage is great. it's very responsive.

Favorite Features

the exterior design

Suggested Improvements

soften the front seats.

everybody's lookin'
By A Craig

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had VW bugs, both sedans and conv. over the years- a. 56 bug b. 62 bug c. 64 bug conv. d. 71 Ghia conv. e. 78 Super bug conv. I just wanted another, never had a new one; but this time I wanted lots of features and comfort with thew VW bug aura. Everyone in the the whole neighborhood wanted rides in it- they still do! Great fun! Great feeling!

Favorite Features

Overall looks; turbo power; "Bug" mystique; room for flower vase; brakes are awesome. The many features that are "standard"

Suggested Improvements

Seat belt handling a bit awkward. Rear viewing device other than mirror. Rear warning device to others.

Front & Rear Impact
By Dora

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I actually have a 2005 Beetle Conv. I was hit from the rear by an SUV doing @ 40-45 mph. I was at a stop. The impact pushed me into & under the Ford F150 in front of me, and pushed us both through the intersection. My air bag deployed and my rear seat roll over protection deployed. My car was a total loss at an estimate in excess of $21,000. I bought another beetle.

Favorite Features

It is sooo much fun to drive. I love to see the kids 'punch-buggy' each other as I go by. I love the turbo. It drives like you are gliding on air.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would change is I would put a little finger space on the trunk to make it easier to lift open after hitting the trunk release.

This is a nice car!
By Tierri

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

What was most surprising to me was the headroom. I'm 6'4" and I had the opportunity to sit in one. Prior to that I was sure I wouldn't fit. I commute about 100 miles a day twice a week to my job, and find the VW New Beetle to be a viable commuter car. This car is stylish and comfortable when the commute gets tedious. I have two issues with this car: no pop out rear window, and the noise when the sunfoof is fully open. I also have to admit VW created a compromise on the latter issue by creating a sequentially opening window. This way you can open the sunroof partially without increasing the road noise.

Favorite Features

The folding front bucket seats, and the I-pod that was an incentive in 03. This car also has heated seats. I also love the way VW used the hatchback to create more storage space. That was a definite surprise, given how the beetle used space in the first cars.

My beetle & Me
By clc2580

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

When the New Beetle Hatchback came out in 1998, I knew that I wanted have one as my very own. But once the word was out about the Convertible I had to get it instead. I own a Sundown Orange one w/black-grey interior....which was very hard to get (limited availibity in NJ) and I absoultely love it! Great handling, quiet smooth ride, love the blue and red dash...rear seats are more spacious than I thought. Trunk space is a little disappointing, but the head room and "open" feel of the interior makes up for it. It's almost like a clown car...looks so small outside, but once inside you feel so comfortable. My tallest friends (at around 6'2") fit without any trouble. Limited glove box storage....

Favorite Features

exterior color, blue/red dash, great gas milage, soft top latch and switch makes it very easy to lower/raise roof; intergrated blinker signals in side mirrors

Suggested Improvements

Hook-up for iPod, cellphone. Standard CD-cassette indash stereo , better interior lighting system (light off of rear-view mirror is limited); easier adjusting air/heating vents to control air flow; folding rear seat

2004 Bettle V.W.
By bobw007

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What a fun car to drive! The built in flower vase is too cool! A step back in time to the era of the original V.W. I am 6'5 and a big man! I have more room in the front seat than a new cadillac! The seats lower and raise, go back and tilt. The dash lighting at night is just unreal! Purple and Vibrant red colors! The motorized roof is way too cool! Not only moves back & forth but up! Lot's of power in the standard engine, smooth shifting and fantastic handling on corners and turns. Very stable. These come loaded, I like the 4 air bags and seat belt ratings- a very safe car!

Favorite Features

Lots of head and leg room! Cute! Hot colors! The Moonsoon sound system with 8 speakers is awaesome! Handles like a race car! Easy to access controls, at night even all the door switche's are lite up red!

luvmybug
By krislvsbug

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far so good. I have had a few interior issues ie: Window sensor briken after first mont, passenger side reare seat handle broke off after little use but dealer very easy to deal with and issues not large enough to upset me. Get more people stopping me and talking about my car. Even my husband loves to drive :)

Favorite Features

Convertible top, stereo system loud and powerful from factory, color scheme and all around fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders, bigger engine maybe, factory tint

a good friend to travel with
By vwbugr1

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Its just a great car in more ways that one: great gas mileage, dependable - not a problem with it since I have had it - sporty and smart - handles great on the highway - I live in PA and it has been terrific in the snow - I am getting ready to purchase a second one. I travel long distances with it and not once have I been let down - I never worry about getting stuck in a bad part of a town I don't know with this car - vw knows what they are doing - drive one you'll see...

Favorite Features

It handles terrifically Small but yet a solid car Great gas mileage Great sound system Awesome interior - (test drive it at night) I simply love it - my husband is 6.4 and the car has so much head room that he loves to drive it too.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders were hard to use when the car first came out - but they have since been updated - vw needs to team up with Swifter to include a duster in each car sold for the large dash - don't get me wrong I like the large dash - but it does get dusty...