Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Love My Bug
By ladybug

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My dealer's service dept. has been pretty good to work with, I have no major complaints. I love driving my bug. It is fun and everyone justs loves it! It's been very reliable. Every day I want the roof down! The turbo is great for getting on highways! The interior cup holders are very poorly designed though and it didn't come with a CD player. The trunk is hard to close at times. These are minor issues. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

Favorite Features

It's so darn cute!

Suggested Improvements

Give it better cup holders and trunk latch.

What Fun!
By bbg

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am having a wonderful time driving this car! It handles beautifully and brings an element of fun to my dull, everyday driving. Just put the top down and go! Even strangers make comments about how great looking the car is. It has a zip to its acceleration. We have had four of us ride comfortably, and the trunk has room, more than you would expect (15 plastic grocery bags worth of room!). Its gas mileage is excellent, and I don't cry when I fill up at $3.00 a gallon. The roof has not had one drip or leak even in the heavy rain. This car has surprised me with its many small touches of thoughtful design (e.g. the cupholder that moves right to accommodate a large size bottle). A+ choice!

Favorite Features

The electric convertible top is this car's "knock one out of the park" feature. I really like the heated seats, the "four windows at once" button, the security key, the front and side airbags,and the moving cup holder. This car even came with a solar panel to charge the battery!

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest a CD player (already available on newer models) and clearer directions for taking care of the top.

2004 VW Beetle GL Coupe
By jesmari

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for the small unique design. It is fun to drive and has great stability. It is very reliable. The only con is a minor electrical fault in the airbag system. The system frequently gave a false alert of having problems, without there actually being a problem.

Favorite Features

The spacy interior design, great road stability, and good fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a better electrical system. Continue to make the "turbo" engine .. and include Turbo automatic transmission.

Poor Customer Service After Sale
By criderun

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This little car has been great until we have tried to get some warranty service done. We have had problems with the battery going dead from about the time the car was 6 months old. The dealership's equipment would not show the battery was bad since the car was jump started and recharged. Every other place in town tested the battery and showed it was bad. We have been fighting this for over a year now. Anytime we go out of town and the car sits for 2-3 days the battery is totally dead. We finally had the car towed to the dealership while it was dead but they are over a week behind being caught up on doing warranty work. Now I am no longer considering that new GTI. Nice cars, bad service.

Favorite Features

The styling always catches people's eyes. The optional 17 inch wheels really set off look better than standard 16 inchers.

Suggested Improvements

Place more emphasis on customer service after the sale instead of taking my money and then closing up tighter than a clam. There needs to be a signal amplifier for the radio since there is not a radio antenna, just the wire embedded in the windshield.

I Love Beetles
By Nancy

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really enjoy this car. I was hesitant at first to get one, but now am so glad I did! It is great on gas, fun to drive, and very comfortable. There is much more room inside than one would expect in a small car. I have the 1.8 turbo. It is a great performer and so fun to drive. It handles really well. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for better gas mileage without sacrificing fun and performance.

Favorite Features

This car is fun, has an ergonomic interior design, along with cute rounded exterior styling and a choice of bright summer colors. It has a great sound system and performance, too.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of a thing. It's perfect as is.