2004 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
I would not recommend this car.
By SAM# on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car to me is very much not worth the money. There are way too many problems with the car as you can read on the other forums here in edmunds. I have had mine for four months and overall am not happy with it. The automatic transmission is not good at all - horrible shifting at all the wrong times. Cruise control is the worst I've used on any car. At cruseing speed the engine whines at a most annoying pitch also. MANY problems with the Beetle and check engine lights, airbag lights, power windows not working correctly, motors on the hatch not working with many other problems. This is not a one car problem, so watch what you buy.

Eye Catcher
By lovemyvw on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I love my Beetle Convertible. It's a ton of fun to drive. It turned a lot of heads this summer with the mellow yellow paint and the top down. Its certainly not a fast car, but it will get moving on the highway. The cup holders are hard for more then one person to use and the back seat is tight. If you take it on a trip, plan on packing lite. If you don't have anyone in the back seat, use the windscreen; it really cuts down the wind and makes for only a moderate wind on the highway. If you buy and the windscreen doesn't come with it; it is worth the money to buy one. The car is great in the snow as well.

I can't stop smiling!
By lovemybug on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This vehicle has incredible styling and performance! Not only is it fun to drive, but it rides like a dream--very smooth and powerful. The interior space is surprisingly roomy--probably not enough legroom for 2 large adults in the back seat for an extended trip, but just fine for getting around town. This car makes everyone smile!

VW is Excellent
By Oinker on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The New VW Beetle is a great car it is great on gas, quick if u want it to be, and roomy for 4 people and cargo space. The beetle can be luxurious and sporty. Depending on your style. It is great in the snow, and rain.This vehicle should be one of the hottest vehicles around!!

Way Poor Quality
By BAClayton on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

There is no mistaking that this is a beautifu car, especially in the Harvest Moon exterior and black top. Beauty aside, however, the car has been a bit heaache. 1) The dealer didn't inform me that they put a significant ding in the bumper when they detailed it. 2) Within days, the automatic transmission didn't work correctly, and I discovered that the console lock pulled right out of the console - the car had to be serviced before I made my first payment. 3) The Turbo is malfunctioning at 4000 miles - driving a non-turbo is horrendous weak. 4) The door has to be slammed shut so it closes correctly and the window tucks away under the roof. 5) I dread the other problems I'll face.

It's Got Go.
By feedle on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

What an amazing, fun little car. I have a TDI diesel, with the Tiptronic transmission, and this is hands down the most fun car I've ever driven. Out of the gate mine has had a few minor hiccups (CD player stopped playing CDs on the fourth day, airbag system isn't working properly [diag. light]), but the dealerships I've dealt with have been quick to repair and cooperative. And, the fuel economy is AMAZING! 400-500 miles on a tank of diesel is "normal" for this car, and with some conservative driving, I've pushed it to nearly 600. A worthy successor to the "Beetle" name.

Nice, but dont go cheap when buying.
By Leia Cullifer on 10/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This black Beetle was bought just a couple of months ago and haven't had any problems with it. I do think that it needs some more power under the hood as the 2.0 w/ auto tranny is rather slugish. I would suggest the 1.8t w/ manual to compensate for the poor acceleration. I do notice that it doesn't sound very nice from the outside, it seems to have a puttering type sound that def gives away its lack of performance. The rear hatch does have a lil rattle or clunk to it when enetering or leaving the drive sometimes. Other than that the car is great. I love the comfort of the seats. The pump style height and vintage roller style recling seats give it a nice ride no matter what body type.

Awsome
By missfrenchhorn on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE THIS CAR

One great "fun loving" car!
By Dawn Morton on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Comfort beyond any expectation. Smooth riding and reasonably responsive. Absolutely no driver fatigue over long distances. Wind noise is minimal with top down. Build quality is exceptional for a car costing so little. Has very "solid" feel". To our surprise, we enjoy this car as much for long distance driving as we do for around town transportation. We own two Mercedes and a GMC Yukon. We love our Bug the best!

VW BUG CONVERTIBLE
By pjones on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The only disign problem I have with the convertible is the windows catch on the roof when the doors are opened.