2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
very good
By Lorrah on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I like it, it is funny looking and works well, plus its all convertible-y- ish

I love my bug
By Clarinetkellbell on 02/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have never owned my own car. It has always been someone elses. Volkswagen has made me a VW driver for life. Car is comfy and so fun to drive. More room in the front than expected. I love it!!!

this is not my 74' bug
By ripper on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The only car that I have owned that can compair to the performence that this little rocket has is my Mustang GT but with 31 mpg

The PERFECT Car
By ColeopteraVW on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This, I must say, is the best car I have ever driven, and I have driven quite a few. I LOVE the turning radius! And ADORE the fact that I can get in and out of tough parking places! I am personally not a performance freak, so this may not be for those who want dangerous acceleration. The great gas mileage is a huge bonus! And you can't forget safety! It has belt tensioners, dome roll-cage (convertibles have stability thing I think), six airbags, and anti-intrusion door beams, and more! If someone offered me a Corvette for really low, I'd take it...then sell it and buy a couple Bugs!!!

my new beeeeetle bug!
By stank on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

candy apple red with after market wheels and porsche rims. its a very nice LOOKING car, very sporty, easy on the eyes you know... one of the things i love the most is night driving in it. get a little sleepy at night driving for long distances. two things strike me : one, the lights, absolutely ILLUMINATE the road. its wonderful. the other is, the actual build of the car. when playing music, it actually feels like the music surrounds you. its very easy to get things in and out of, as the seats dont just move forward, they actually LIFT UP and tilt forward. easy to hop friends and children in and out. maybe car seats some day too;)

A luxury car!
By David Hargett on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love my car! It is so well built. I feel very safe while driving it. It is one of the few cars on the market that has gone through a positive evolution. My dad had one when I was as child, and I'm now 43! I consider my Beetle to be a luxury car despite its reasonable price! I have never received so much attention while driving a car. It gets many second looks, and positive compliments. Little kids often wave to me out their back windows while riding with their parents. Everybody seems to have a story about a Beetle they once owned or rode in. It is a car with allot of history behind it.

the anti-midlife crisis mobile
By dandune on 02/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

had bugs throughout the 60's. 2 vans, 2 bugs, and a ghia. one got chopped into a baja. then i bought an american car. ...got screwed! then i started buying japanese, reliability was amazing, but got bored. wanted a beetle when they first came out, but didn't feel the waiting lists were worth it. Well, i finally got around to buying a turbo bug... ...wow handling, pep, comfort, all first rate i like the car, and i like the way it makes me feel when i drive it. no pretense, and i live in the land of pretense.

New Beetle Turbo S
By LuvBuggy on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Everyone told me that it had limited cargo space ... well I was able to transport a new Toro Snowblower 2450 GTS for a friend 80 miles for a Christmas present ... Couldn't do that in any other compact car!!!

My Orange Bug
By Doug in a VW Bug on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

I have a Snap Orange Beetle. All I get is people staring at me. No major problems. Rear hatch lock would not unlatch and a non-heating passenger mirror. Can't complain though. Dealer fixxed me right up.

VW Turbo GLS-Bad Resale Value
By Rob Tarbell on 01/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

excellent power, but continual mechanical problems which will cause lots of trips to dealer for repairs. Sold vehicle due to continual problems & resale value was extremely low... Car was purchased for $23k and the best bid out of 9 wholsalers was $16. If you purchase this car, you had better plan on keeping it for 4 years or more to offset low resale.