Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

What Fun!
By bbg

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am having a wonderful time driving this car! It handles beautifully and brings an element of fun to my dull, everyday driving. Just put the top down and go! Even strangers make comments about how great looking the car is. It has a zip to its acceleration. We have had four of us ride comfortably, and the trunk has room, more than you would expect (15 plastic grocery bags worth of room!). Its gas mileage is excellent, and I don't cry when I fill up at $3.00 a gallon. The roof has not had one drip or leak even in the heavy rain. This car has surprised me with its many small touches of thoughtful design (e.g. the cupholder that moves right to accommodate a large size bottle). A+ choice!

The electric convertible top is this car's "knock one out of the park" feature. I really like the heated seats, the "four windows at once" button, the security key, the front and side airbags,and the moving cup holder. This car even came with a solar panel to charge the battery!

I would suggest a CD player (already available on newer models) and clearer directions for taking care of the top.

Poor Customer Service After Sale
By criderun

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This little car has been great until we have tried to get some warranty service done. We have had problems with the battery going dead from about the time the car was 6 months old. The dealership's equipment would not show the battery was bad since the car was jump started and recharged. Every other place in town tested the battery and showed it was bad. We have been fighting this for over a year now. Anytime we go out of town and the car sits for 2-3 days the battery is totally dead. We finally had the car towed to the dealership while it was dead but they are over a week behind being caught up on doing warranty work. Now I am no longer considering that new GTI. Nice cars, bad service.

The styling always catches people's eyes. The optional 17 inch wheels really set off look better than standard 16 inchers.

Place more emphasis on customer service after the sale instead of taking my money and then closing up tighter than a clam. There needs to be a signal amplifier for the radio since there is not a radio antenna, just the wire embedded in the windshield.

Do not buy this car
By Carrie

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first week I owned by brand new Beetle, the alternator went out on it. Since then, I have brought it in for so many other problems, I can't name them all. From three window motors breaking, to flooding when it rains through the door, to stalling, to a faulty CD changer. The car is not built right. For the asking price, it's not worth it and it's not a reliable car. Mine isn't the only lemon, a friend of mine has one that had its top get's stuck and not come back up. It's been in the shop for that two times. Sorry, but I've tried to get the dealer to take my car back more than five times. Warning!

Love this Bug
By Momsmoose

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife has always wanted a Bug ragtop. This is our first convertible and we just love it. It rides well, looks great, and really goes. Ours is a silver, 1.8 Liter Turbo with a black top and black leather. It also has the low profile tires and custom wheels. An older gentleman asked me if it was a Porsche, so I told him, Why yes it is! While no Boxster, it's great fun. Do yourself a favor and buy one!

The power top works great, the Tiptronic in manual mode is neat, it has a good sound system, the rear seat wind deflector.

Improve the turbo lag and the trunk is like a big glove compartment.

Yep Yep my Bug is Sexy!
By Cheetoz

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absoluety love my bug! I'm a new driver and it's really easy learning to drive in it. You just feel good when driving. It makes you comfortable. You're not at all worried about who's going to see you in some busted up lemon. Confidence is key, if you feel good about what you're driving, you drive well. It's gotten to the piont of being annoying, because most of my friends are talking about getting one. So to keep from falling into the crowd make sure it's personalized from the licsense plate to the extra long dashbroad!

The six cd changer.

Personalize everything you can.

• SUV