Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Do not buy this car
By Carrie

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first week I owned by brand new Beetle, the alternator went out on it. Since then, I have brought it in for so many other problems, I can't name them all. From three window motors breaking, to flooding when it rains through the door, to stalling, to a faulty CD changer. The car is not built right. For the asking price, it's not worth it and it's not a reliable car. Mine isn't the only lemon, a friend of mine has one that had its top get's stuck and not come back up. It's been in the shop for that two times. Sorry, but I've tried to get the dealer to take my car back more than five times. Warning!

Love this Bug
By Momsmoose

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife has always wanted a Bug ragtop. This is our first convertible and we just love it. It rides well, looks great, and really goes. Ours is a silver, 1.8 Liter Turbo with a black top and black leather. It also has the low profile tires and custom wheels. An older gentleman asked me if it was a Porsche, so I told him, Why yes it is! While no Boxster, it's great fun. Do yourself a favor and buy one!

The power top works great, the Tiptronic in manual mode is neat, it has a good sound system, the rear seat wind deflector.

Improve the turbo lag and the trunk is like a big glove compartment.

Yep Yep my Bug is Sexy!
By Cheetoz

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absoluety love my bug! I'm a new driver and it's really easy learning to drive in it. You just feel good when driving. It makes you comfortable. You're not at all worried about who's going to see you in some busted up lemon. Confidence is key, if you feel good about what you're driving, you drive well. It's gotten to the piont of being annoying, because most of my friends are talking about getting one. So to keep from falling into the crowd make sure it's personalized from the licsense plate to the extra long dashbroad!

The six cd changer.

Personalize everything you can.

I hate my car. It makes me sad.
By tangentgirl

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is cute, but man does it stink. Little things keep breaking. Sure, they're under warranty, but it's a pain to have to bring the thing back to the dealership. I've had to repair the following things: Seat back/fwd levers - these constantly break, both trunk arms, the lock on the center console, the front panel accessory slots (empty), rear phone charger - it fell right out, the back window is starting to have problems rolling down correctly, the front airbag sensor, various electrical problems - including one that made the car turn off while driving. Fun. Also, there's a wheel noise that I need to get checked now. I feel like I drive a 1987 Taurus or something, except with a payment.

It's cute. It's fun to drive a convertible in the summer, especially by the beach. The color - galactic blue - is superpretty.

I wish it had better overall quality. I wish it were faster. I wish the cupholders and the things to push the seat forward were not stupid. Man are they stupid.

Love to drive
By ladyatfals

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

From the moment I got the car it was a lifestyle change. People were just friendlier-smiling, waving, driving up and commenting "I love your car." It is as fun to drive in the winter as it is in the summer.

Heated seats, fun mail from the Volkswagon company.

Bio-diesel choice