Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

A fun little car!
By mjvoigts

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I LOVE my bug!!! I have flowers decked out all over it and it really turns heads! It is zippy and fun and the convertible top is great for Florida. I have had it in the shop for multiple repairs, but they've all been covered under warranty. The tires get bald quick, and the battery only lasted a year, though. Warranty covered a complete re-do of the electrical system, and a new top as the back window was falling out. The interior paint is so fun, but it does chip and that looks tacky. But I do looooove my car!! Also, with the Turbo engine, the mileage kind of stinks, and it requires premium fuel...

The look of it, the convertible top, the snazzy way it drives.

Improve the mileage, make it more reliable, and put some sort of a sealant over the interior paint to make it more durable. Buyer beware: get an extended warranty on this car!!

TDI Beetle - best kept secret out there
By AIXIZCYCLES

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Having learned to drive on a 1962 bug, I have a certain affection for the Beetle. This new one does not disappoint and is uber fun to drive. Owing a new Suburban and also a HD bike, I use the Beetle for daily chores and business commuting. At 6'1" and 250lbs, I have plenty of room. I specifically wanted a turbo diesel, manual because a small car should be fun and involve the driver in the experience. Can't complain abut the 44mpg I am getting as well! I also have a grin on my face knowing that it does not meet current EPA requirements!!! Global warm this.

The turbo diesel, manual. A lot of pull, performs more like my Harley than a small diesel engine. Well done, German engineers. Performance does not disappoint.

Cosmetic. Bumper strips and door panel rub strips to minimize parking lot dings. Also, the battery removal process is absurd (but so German).

Sick of Dung Beetle
By abroome

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This Beetle is the worst car I have ever owned. The cup holders, the window regulators, the air bag light, the check engine light, replaced several headlights, the convertible top, the console lock, and the transmission. These are just a few problems with the car. THe transmission will not shift and the VW dealership wants 6,000 to fix this. I will never buy another VW again. The dealerships act like nothing ever happens with these cars but everyone I talk to has these problems. Also a design flaw regarding the battery and seatbelts. Battery must be replaced by dealership. Beware!!!!! Very cute car but not reliable at all. It is a piece of crap there for a dung beetle!

Only riding with the top down. Cute color (baby blue)

recall all convertible beetles, redesign the car, everything is cheap about the car

Money!!!!!!!!!!!!
By age

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and I haven't even paid for the whole thing and already without maint. I have spent $7,000 on repairs. I drive 3 miles each way. My back window has stop working after 2 years and they told me $1,000. It wasn't covered under warranty. All I want to say is think about it first.

was my dream car

fix the back windows and water pumps

Reliable Engine, Cheap Interior Finishes
By VW_Convertible

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am generally happy with the reliability of my VW engine but am disappointed with the quality of the interior fittings. The Front Power Window mechanism (was faulty) broke several times when the car was nearly new and had to be replaced with re- designed motors and chains (very expensive if car is out of warranty) The rear power window mechanism breaks often and is expensive to repair.....The Car overall is beautifully designed and finished on the outside, has very comfortable front seats, and has a quiet, smooth, stable ride with a well appointed dashboard and easy-to use controls. Automatic transmission started to jerk & stick at slow speeeds > 75,000 miles...Keys cost > 350$ to replace

The beautiful classic, curvaceous Beetle profile and high quality exterior paint finish. In addition to the engine, The AC is good, cold and reliable.

Manual crank windows should be available, and a regular, simple, re- buildable automatic transmission should be available instead of the Tiptronic auto-manual transmission which costs 6,000$ to replace!