Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Hate This Bug: Buyer Beware
By ekl

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the car I always wanted. Although parts of the first two years of ownership were fun, overall this is the worst purchase I have ever made. I will NEVER buy another Volkswagen! I've owned this car for 4 1/2 years. In the last year, my bug has been towed into the dealership 3 times because it will not start, and I've shelled out $3,000 in repairs. I've had the seat handles replaced multiple times, the trunk will not open on the first try, the headlights short out constantly, etc. To date, I've had the following replaced: throttle body ($800), front airbag sensor ($450), alternator ($500), windshield ($350), front grill ($500). I know the bug is very cute, but don't buy this car!

Bright green color, sun roof, heated cloth seats

Handles on front seats that do not break constantly, better designed front grill (breaks very easily), trunk that opens on the first try, seats that recline easily.

2004 convertible vw
By cheryl gillespie

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the design of this car, but have had many problems. Interior beige leather seats impossible to clean. Stained within the first 2 weeks by a leather belt. Seat retractor broke 5 times. Airbag problems on three different ocacasions. Last one took 2 wks to fix. Car sits way too close to the ground. Damaged mine just going up a gravel driveway. Almost 7,000 for new transmission.

It was a grand 4 years
By delta_queen

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Would not have sold it yesterday had I not needed a 4X4. I owned this vehicle for 4 years and loved every minute of it. Always felt like I was in a high quality vehicle. The very few instances I needed minor servicing, the warranty work I got was top notch and ultra quick. (The only probs I had in 4 years were headlight wiring.)

The drop down top of course. Heated seats. Wind screen. Loved my stick shift drivetrain.

This was a pokey car. Very little get up and go. But then they made the turbo.

People's Car?? Not this one.
By Virginia&George

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Yes you change oil every 5000 miles, but you have to go to the dealer and buy SPECIAL VW oil?? To do any basic maintenance you need a degree in mechanics?! Even then, you may not be able to reach the fitting or part that you want to service because it is so cramped and difficult. Now after 3 years we have problems: (a) difficulty in starting cold engine in the morning, (b) things fall apart inside the cabin (ashtray, window controls, hand-brake knob, etc.), (c) when you start engine lots of white smoke is delivered by exhaust pipe.

Fuel economy.

Make the car RELIABLE as the old Beetle.

Listen to the lemons!
By queromare

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Like many others, I couldn't list all the things that are wrong with this car. The most important one is it stalls constantly when its 100+ degrees outside. Completely unreliable, gas tank exploded one day and poured gasoline everywhere, numerous electrical problems. The car is adorable and pretty fun, but has no power, a terrible turning radius and is poorly designed for comfort inside. A vase isn't worth the hassle. I ignored the warnings, don't make the same mistake as I did! This stupid thing has cost me $6,000 so far! I now pay $500/month for it to sit on the driveway! I won't drive it past warranty! Doesn't even get good mileage ie 25/gallon!

The convertible top and amazing Monsoon stereo.