2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
new owner and loving it
By Buggy Bob on 01/05/05 13:53 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We just bought this car and we love it. The ride is solid and smooth. The interior feels really spacious when your inside but when you look at it from the outside it looks smaller. Optical illusions....very cool.

1ST FUN CAR
By YOUNG 68 GUY on 12/16/04 01:56 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Might be oldest bug buyer of 04. Enter/ exiting very important for this senior; tested many small size convertibles, by far my volks the winner. The quietness with top up (not a rattle) is sedan like. Goose the turbo, wind in my face, smoothly hugging the road...thrilling. Old guy/gal friends are very comfort impressed. Purchased 10 new cars but never before went for a drive just because it was fun !!!

This bug is a lemon in disguise
By fitz5678 on 12/01/04 13:42 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just 19 months old, in the shop 5 times, each time 2-5 days. Recalled for top, still broken, mildew smells, radio volume too high. Mechanically sound, but asthetically bogus. Dealership still has followed through and now doesn't return calls. Arghhh

Sad Cute Car
By Heather Maurer on 11/10/04 16:33 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Unfortunately, I have had to bring my car in 5 times for repairs. 4 times because the automatic convertible roof wouldn't go up and 1 time because the motor in the back electric window broke. I love the look, feel and drive of this car and I am completely disgusted and greatly disappointed with the convertible top not working properly. According to the dealership, I am not using due diligence when opening the trunk when the top is down. They are indicating that the top is getting stuck in the trunk which is causing it not to go up and that it is my responsibility to make sure this doesn't happen. This sounds like a design flaw to me!

Great Car
By janet brown-wooten on 11/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love my VW Comvertible Beetle, I own the Turbo, black,cream interior. This car has great pick-up speed, comfortable, reliable, and very sleek looking.

Eye Catcher
By lovemyvw on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I love my Beetle Convertible. It's a ton of fun to drive. It turned a lot of heads this summer with the mellow yellow paint and the top down. Its certainly not a fast car, but it will get moving on the highway. The cup holders are hard for more then one person to use and the back seat is tight. If you take it on a trip, plan on packing lite. If you don't have anyone in the back seat, use the windscreen; it really cuts down the wind and makes for only a moderate wind on the highway. If you buy and the windscreen doesn't come with it; it is worth the money to buy one. The car is great in the snow as well.

I can't stop smiling!
By lovemybug on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This vehicle has incredible styling and performance! Not only is it fun to drive, but it rides like a dream--very smooth and powerful. The interior space is surprisingly roomy--probably not enough legroom for 2 large adults in the back seat for an extended trip, but just fine for getting around town. This car makes everyone smile!

Way Poor Quality
By BAClayton on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

There is no mistaking that this is a beautifu car, especially in the Harvest Moon exterior and black top. Beauty aside, however, the car has been a bit heaache. 1) The dealer didn't inform me that they put a significant ding in the bumper when they detailed it. 2) Within days, the automatic transmission didn't work correctly, and I discovered that the console lock pulled right out of the console - the car had to be serviced before I made my first payment. 3) The Turbo is malfunctioning at 4000 miles - driving a non-turbo is horrendous weak. 4) The door has to be slammed shut so it closes correctly and the window tucks away under the roof. 5) I dread the other problems I'll face.

One great "fun loving" car!
By Dawn Morton on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Comfort beyond any expectation. Smooth riding and reasonably responsive. Absolutely no driver fatigue over long distances. Wind noise is minimal with top down. Build quality is exceptional for a car costing so little. Has very "solid" feel". To our surprise, we enjoy this car as much for long distance driving as we do for around town transportation. We own two Mercedes and a GMC Yukon. We love our Bug the best!

VW BUG CONVERTIBLE
By pjones on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The only disign problem I have with the convertible is the windows catch on the roof when the doors are opened.