Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

A bug in the Bug
By Beetle fanatic

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our beetle looking for a fun car that we can take the top down. I've had the sports cars, the expensive convertibles, and even a 74 beetle. If you want a car with the hot factor, get a beetle. If you like to turn heads, this is your car. We have the mellow yellow. The bad part I'd within 48 hrs, we have already made a list of things to ask our VW dealership about. (rear Windows, weather stripping, a couple extremely small rust spots) but I haven't lost hope in the car considering it is my dream ride,

leather seats, unique, 6 cd changer, 5 speed, great mileage. gorgeous design. head turner. this is a car you can crank up the feel good music in. Plenty big for me(6'3", 275 lb.)

please recall the windows. most reviews I've read have talked about the window regulators.

Love/Hate 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS
By Melanie

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I ignored all of those typical issues with wiring, bulbs out, handles coming off seat, chronic top opening problem because I loved the fit and finish and the drive, but then last summer my transmission started to go. A new transmission on a car with 75,000 miles on it is 6,000 plus installation? You have got to be kidding me! So I continue to drive it jerking all around until I think up what to do next. This was supposed to be handed down to my 13 year old.

Seats are so comfortable for my 6'7" hubby! Love getting a tan while I ride.

Fix the transmission!

Cutest piece of junk on the road!
By LPKAY

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car has been in the shop 4 times for window motor replacement, countless times for various electrical and sensor problems, the convertible top motor broke,bad headlights, impossible to clean seats, etc. I've had every problem that everyone else has had. This is the least reliable, most poorly designed car with the worst customer service I've ever had; it's also incredibly cute and very fun to drive! I would never spend another penny on a volkswagen, especially if it was my only car. We have other cars so it wasn't a problem that has been in the shop almost 20 times.

Unbelievably cute, fun to drive with the turbo's power boost, a very happy car!

Everything. Redesign the electrical system, man up and pay when your crappy parts break over and over again once the car is out of warranty, and don't charge your customers a $105 fee to diagnose a problem with a sensor when you know the problem is that your sensors are faulty.

A fun little car!
By mjvoigts

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I LOVE my bug!!! I have flowers decked out all over it and it really turns heads! It is zippy and fun and the convertible top is great for Florida. I have had it in the shop for multiple repairs, but they've all been covered under warranty. The tires get bald quick, and the battery only lasted a year, though. Warranty covered a complete re-do of the electrical system, and a new top as the back window was falling out. The interior paint is so fun, but it does chip and that looks tacky. But I do looooove my car!! Also, with the Turbo engine, the mileage kind of stinks, and it requires premium fuel...

The look of it, the convertible top, the snazzy way it drives.

Improve the mileage, make it more reliable, and put some sort of a sealant over the interior paint to make it more durable. Buyer beware: get an extended warranty on this car!!

TDI Beetle - best kept secret out there
By AIXIZCYCLES

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Having learned to drive on a 1962 bug, I have a certain affection for the Beetle. This new one does not disappoint and is uber fun to drive. Owing a new Suburban and also a HD bike, I use the Beetle for daily chores and business commuting. At 6'1" and 250lbs, I have plenty of room. I specifically wanted a turbo diesel, manual because a small car should be fun and involve the driver in the experience. Can't complain abut the 44mpg I am getting as well! I also have a grin on my face knowing that it does not meet current EPA requirements!!! Global warm this.

The turbo diesel, manual. A lot of pull, performs more like my Harley than a small diesel engine. Well done, German engineers. Performance does not disappoint.

Cosmetic. Bumper strips and door panel rub strips to minimize parking lot dings. Also, the battery removal process is absurd (but so German).