Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

awesome car
By babyblu766896

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought a new Beetle as a gift for myself and i really love my car. Its peppy around town and gives me great mileage. I do have some gripes though (interior lighting) and automatic transmission. There are a few other gripes but they arent that serious. I do love the handling and the visibility at nighttime. Overall I love my car but i dont think i would buy one again.

Favorite Features

I love the engine (turbo. I also love the styling, looks, moonroof, leather, heated seats, key fob( it looks really cool) and all the options it comes with.

Suggested Improvements

I dislike the automatic transmission( it works to slow with my driving style) there are practically no lights on in the car, NO TRUNK SPACE, so this makes it a non vacation car!=

I would not recommend this car.
By SAM#

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car to me is very much not worth the money. There are way too many problems with the car as you can read on the other forums here in edmunds. I have had mine for four months and overall am not happy with it. The automatic transmission is not good at all - horrible shifting at all the wrong times. Cruise control is the worst I've used on any car. At cruseing speed the engine whines at a most annoying pitch also. MANY problems with the Beetle and check engine lights, airbag lights, power windows not working correctly, motors on the hatch not working with many other problems. This is not a one car problem, so watch what you buy.

Favorite Features

I do like the ABS, it works very well so far and yes, I have had to use it - twice! The factory MP3 playing CD player is also good for my use. Handling of the car and no major rattling of the interior.

Suggested Improvements

FIX the cruise and the automatic transmission! Also quality control must be very bad for so many cars back to thier delarship withen two months of purchase. I used to like VWs but now I'm too scared to try again.

VW is Excellent
By Oinker

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The New VW Beetle is a great car it is great on gas, quick if u want it to be, and roomy for 4 people and cargo space. The beetle can be luxurious and sporty. Depending on your style. It is great in the snow, and rain.This vehicle should be one of the hottest vehicles around!!

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING

Suggested Improvements

A sunroof should be standard I believe.

Nice, but dont go cheap when buying.
By Leia Cullifer

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This black Beetle was bought just a couple of months ago and haven't had any problems with it. I do think that it needs some more power under the hood as the 2.0 w/ auto tranny is rather slugish. I would suggest the 1.8t w/ manual to compensate for the poor acceleration. I do notice that it doesn't sound very nice from the outside, it seems to have a puttering type sound that def gives away its lack of performance. The rear hatch does have a lil rattle or clunk to it when enetering or leaving the drive sometimes. Other than that the car is great. I love the comfort of the seats. The pump style height and vintage roller style recling seats give it a nice ride no matter what body type.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

More power. When compared to the GLI or more sporty Jettas it's a Dog.

Awsome
By missfrenchhorn

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE THIS CAR