2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
cute but problematic
By allisong on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved my bug but now it's gone due to a leak in the roof of the car. Apparently there are drains in the roof that clog easily and with nowhere to go, the water leaks into the car. The dealer and the regional manager say that drains and the need to clean them out is common knowledge. Ever hear of this? The car had numerous problems from the beginning. I went to two different dealers for service and at both locations the car came back with new problems including scratches to the interior paint, wires being switched (trunk and gas latches) and several other annoying issues. Careless and frustrating service and constant problems, my bug is gone!!

Piece of Junk!
By Kay Highland on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you are thinking about buying a new VW Beetle, think again! This is the biggest piece of junk on the market! I have lost count as to how many times my car has been in the shop. It is in there right now because it will not start! They are cute and fun to drive but not reliable! I have had just about everything you can imagine go wrong with my car. I have had five oxygen sensors replaced, my CD changer replaced three times and have had several other issues. My Instrument Cluster went out and it is $300.00 to replace. The dealership charges $235.00 for a new battery! I just spent $300.00 two weeks ago to replace a bad Temperature gage. Do not buy!

Rattle Bug!
By Buzzbuzz93 on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car in the shop three times for rattling in the interior. The hatch has been removed twice to fix it. When the car was built a screw was left in the dashboard which started to scratch against metal. After they removed the dash to fix it, they failed to hook up all the vents properly. There is still rattling in the doors, but I have given up that they will fix it. This will be my 1st and only VW. Where it that quality German engineering VW boasts about? Not in this car. Buyer beware!

My bettle
By Crystal Dickson on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Very roomy, tons of leg room for long legged passanger. The set adjustments are the best for men and woman drivers. The eyeglass holder on the top is very handy as well. Plenty of pick up and options even on the GL models. Very good buy for your money. You wont be disappointed.

very fun car for a diesel
By arice on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Surprised how fun this car is to drive. Never dreamed that I would be driving a diesel. I have a long commute and this is the perfect fit for me.

Beetle, a Classic!
By Terdan on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Great car!

I'm still a man...
By efesese on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I thought it was too cute for me. But it's just plain cool man! It's a classic and I can't believe I own it! I can't stop looking back after I park it. My budget was between a full eq. Corolla and the simplest Beetle... Corolla or Beetle?... Ordinary or Extra- ordinary? The decission was easy.

Great
By Michael Cheeks on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has alot of geat features for such a great bargain. It rides wonderful and gets great gas mileage. If I get the chance to get another one I intend to do so.

My engine Blew...VW wouldn't help!
By Meggie Boo on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I loved driving my car until one day my engine destroyed itself. The manufactureer sugests that normal oil should be fine a a turbo engine. But I PAINFULLY found out that synthetic oil is the only oil that is supposed to be used in a turbo car. The normal becomes so thick that is is as hard as tar and is causes blockages! this cause the engine to stop AFTER it has broken the pistons and destroyed the valves! I know 4 people who this has happened too!

Ethans Bug Forever!
By Sherry Trail on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my VW about a month ago. My son just loves it. It's new name is Herbie. It's his favorite car in the world. I just love everything about it. It rides like most luxury cars I have rode in. It's very comfortable to drive. I'm a small person and I just love to ride and drive it.