2004 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Reliable Engine, Cheap Interior Finishes
By VW_Convertible on 03/22/09 19:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am generally happy with the reliability of my VW engine but am disappointed with the quality of the interior fittings. The Front Power Window mechanism (was faulty) broke several times when the car was nearly new and had to be replaced with re- designed motors and chains (very expensive if car is out of warranty) The rear power window mechanism breaks often and is expensive to repair.....The Car overall is beautifully designed and finished on the outside, has very comfortable front seats, and has a quiet, smooth, stable ride with a well appointed dashboard and easy-to use controls. Automatic transmission started to jerk & stick at slow speeeds > 75,000 miles...Keys cost > 350$ to replace

Mixed Bag
By TurboS04 on 03/21/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is used for work purposes, and is covered in advertising. While I was nervous to purchase based on review it has turned out to be an okay car. I've had issues with airbag and check engine lights but there is a ton of information on the internet to help out with those issues. The car is fast and fun to drive, and has a lot of nice features for the cost. Luckily, knock on wood, my issues have been small and hoping for a few more years of reliability.

love bug
By shirin on 12/27/08 09:28 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my beetle, and would keep it for the rest of my life. It has never given me any problems. I can rely on it to be my best freind and never has let me down. I did not have to spend a Penny on it so far... Never had any problems specially with Windows or airbag or others mentioned by other reviews.

Hate This Bug: Buyer Beware
By ekl on 12/03/08 13:41 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the car I always wanted. Although parts of the first two years of ownership were fun, overall this is the worst purchase I have ever made. I will NEVER buy another Volkswagen! I've owned this car for 4 1/2 years. In the last year, my bug has been towed into the dealership 3 times because it will not start, and I've shelled out $3,000 in repairs. I've had the seat handles replaced multiple times, the trunk will not open on the first try, the headlights short out constantly, etc. To date, I've had the following replaced: throttle body ($800), front airbag sensor ($450), alternator ($500), windshield ($350), front grill ($500). I know the bug is very cute, but don't buy this car!

2004 convertible vw
By cheryl gillespie on 01/24/08 06:31 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the design of this car, but have had many problems. Interior beige leather seats impossible to clean. Stained within the first 2 weeks by a leather belt. Seat retractor broke 5 times. Airbag problems on three different ocacasions. Last one took 2 wks to fix. Car sits way too close to the ground. Damaged mine just going up a gravel driveway. Almost 7,000 for new transmission.

It was a grand 4 years
By delta_queen on 11/08/07 11:44 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Would not have sold it yesterday had I not needed a 4X4. I owned this vehicle for 4 years and loved every minute of it. Always felt like I was in a high quality vehicle. The very few instances I needed minor servicing, the warranty work I got was top notch and ultra quick. (The only probs I had in 4 years were headlight wiring.)

People's Car?? Not this one.
By Virginia&George on 06/03/07 12:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Yes you change oil every 5000 miles, but you have to go to the dealer and buy SPECIAL VW oil?? To do any basic maintenance you need a degree in mechanics?! Even then, you may not be able to reach the fitting or part that you want to service because it is so cramped and difficult. Now after 3 years we have problems: (a) difficulty in starting cold engine in the morning, (b) things fall apart inside the cabin (ashtray, window controls, hand-brake knob, etc.), (c) when you start engine lots of white smoke is delivered by exhaust pipe.

Listen to the lemons!
By queromare on 04/26/07 14:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Like many others, I couldn't list all the things that are wrong with this car. The most important one is it stalls constantly when its 100+ degrees outside. Completely unreliable, gas tank exploded one day and poured gasoline everywhere, numerous electrical problems. The car is adorable and pretty fun, but has no power, a terrible turning radius and is poorly designed for comfort inside. A vase isn't worth the hassle. I ignored the warnings, don't make the same mistake as I did! This stupid thing has cost me $6,000 so far! I now pay $500/month for it to sit on the driveway! I won't drive it past warranty! Doesn't even get good mileage ie 25/gallon!

Love My Bug
By ladybug on 03/12/07 11:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My dealer's service dept. has been pretty good to work with, I have no major complaints. I love driving my bug. It is fun and everyone justs loves it! It's been very reliable. Every day I want the roof down! The turbo is great for getting on highways! The interior cup holders are very poorly designed though and it didn't come with a CD player. The trunk is hard to close at times. These are minor issues. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

What Fun!
By bbg on 09/02/06 18:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am having a wonderful time driving this car! It handles beautifully and brings an element of fun to my dull, everyday driving. Just put the top down and go! Even strangers make comments about how great looking the car is. It has a zip to its acceleration. We have had four of us ride comfortably, and the trunk has room, more than you would expect (15 plastic grocery bags worth of room!). Its gas mileage is excellent, and I don't cry when I fill up at $3.00 a gallon. The roof has not had one drip or leak even in the heavy rain. This car has surprised me with its many small touches of thoughtful design (e.g. the cupholder that moves right to accommodate a large size bottle). A+ choice!