Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

My Lemon
By SmartyPantsGirl

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My new beetle convertible was in the shop over twenty times in a six month period! The top broke a total of sixteen times, the windows stopped rolling up and down, my transmission went out at 4,000 miles, my brakes failed me while on the freeway at 6,000 miles, it puffed out all kinds of white smoke... It was a mess- do yourself a favor and save your time and money, I filed the lemon the law and got all of my momey back.

Exterminate the Beetle
By kattkat242aol.com

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

To anyone looking to lease or buy this adorable decieving automobile. THINK TWICE!!! Not only did I pre-order it 6 months in advance it has spent at least 6 weeks in the shop for various different things. From the day I recieved it May 1, 2003 it has been nothing but problems one being very dangerous in fact life threatening. It is currently being procesed under the New York State LEMON LAW. Yes you heard it here folks a big fat ( adorable) LEMON.I had VW's in the past and were a loyal lover of the beetle. Now I think I need to get a big fat can of RAID. Feel free to e mail . Kattkat24@aol.com

Favorite Features

It looks great!!

Worst Car
By lvazquez1watcx

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car on June 2011. it had less than 90, 000 miles on it. few months after i bought it, the flap panels broke, headliner started falling apart and the inside began to deteriorate. when it hit 100,000 miles the transmission started acting up, the valve body ended up need replaced. the headlights and anything electrical really is always acting up. i got this car at the VW dealership and thought i was getting a good deal on it, but not even 2 years later and i have already put thousands of dollars into its repairs. I am a nursing student and this is probably the least reliable car you could own. Have filed a complaint with the BBB, but never received a response.

Favorite Features

convertible top.

Suggested Improvements

better quality materials, better customer service.

I would not recommend this car.
By SAM#

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car to me is very much not worth the money. There are way too many problems with the car as you can read on the other forums here in edmunds. I have had mine for four months and overall am not happy with it. The automatic transmission is not good at all - horrible shifting at all the wrong times. Cruise control is the worst I've used on any car. At cruseing speed the engine whines at a most annoying pitch also. MANY problems with the Beetle and check engine lights, airbag lights, power windows not working correctly, motors on the hatch not working with many other problems. This is not a one car problem, so watch what you buy.

Favorite Features

I do like the ABS, it works very well so far and yes, I have had to use it - twice! The factory MP3 playing CD player is also good for my use. Handling of the car and no major rattling of the interior.

Suggested Improvements

FIX the cruise and the automatic transmission! Also quality control must be very bad for so many cars back to thier delarship withen two months of purchase. I used to like VWs but now I'm too scared to try again.

Listen to the lemons!
By queromare

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Like many others, I couldn't list all the things that are wrong with this car. The most important one is it stalls constantly when its 100+ degrees outside. Completely unreliable, gas tank exploded one day and poured gasoline everywhere, numerous electrical problems. The car is adorable and pretty fun, but has no power, a terrible turning radius and is poorly designed for comfort inside. A vase isn't worth the hassle. I ignored the warnings, don't make the same mistake as I did! This stupid thing has cost me $6,000 so far! I now pay $500/month for it to sit on the driveway! I won't drive it past warranty! Doesn't even get good mileage ie 25/gallon!

Favorite Features

The convertible top and amazing Monsoon stereo.