2004 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Why this is my last VW purchase
By finalstraw on 12/27/10 11:19 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After owning many VW's and with a lifetime of great memories I've got to accept the fact that VW's have never been reliable and I've spent waaay too much time and waaaay too much money for those memories. The final straw happened today; I received a Warranty Extension notice in the mail about the transmission valve body in my convertible. WOW!...VW finally admitted there has been a problem and they were going to fix it. WRONG! I was out of the warranty window by 2 months - but they could repair it for $2-3k! VW lost me forever. I wish I could recapture the time that I've wasted fooling with VW's. Unless you want to spend a chunk of your life hanging out in garages with mechanics - stay away!

Buyer Beware
By heartbroken on 06/09/10 09:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My beloved dream car has an engineering flaw that apparently comes to light after 60,000. The auto transmission becomes erratic clunking into gear, screeching off, staying in 2nd gear. After months and hundreds of dollars of investigation and fixes, the only cure is a valve and electronic trans. replacement to the tune of $4000-$7000. VW will not admit to any problems or pay for a fix. The government car safety website (safercar.gov) has 28 complaints registered about this issue. I would not recommend any VW product to anyone-new or used.

Never, Never Again!
By NY Nurse on 05/10/10 11:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I wanted one of these cars for ever. I finally bought one a year and a half ago. It has cost me more in maintenance and repairs in that year and a half than any other car I've ever owned for the entire time I owned them! I went over a bump and it cost me $850! There is always something broken, now it is a window sensor. Don't be fooled with the German engineering thing - It's now Mexican engineering and they are not the same. I am selling my little lemon bug. Lesson learned.

A bug in the Bug
By Beetle fanatic on 05/03/10 05:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our beetle looking for a fun car that we can take the top down. I've had the sports cars, the expensive convertibles, and even a 74 beetle. If you want a car with the hot factor, get a beetle. If you like to turn heads, this is your car. We have the mellow yellow. The bad part I'd within 48 hrs, we have already made a list of things to ask our VW dealership about. (rear Windows, weather stripping, a couple extremely small rust spots) but I haven't lost hope in the car considering it is my dream ride,

Love/Hate 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS
By Melanie on 04/12/10 07:24 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I ignored all of those typical issues with wiring, bulbs out, handles coming off seat, chronic top opening problem because I loved the fit and finish and the drive, but then last summer my transmission started to go. A new transmission on a car with 75,000 miles on it is 6,000 plus installation? You have got to be kidding me! So I continue to drive it jerking all around until I think up what to do next. This was supposed to be handed down to my 13 year old.

Cutest piece of junk on the road!
By LPKAY on 03/24/10 21:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car has been in the shop 4 times for window motor replacement, countless times for various electrical and sensor problems, the convertible top motor broke,bad headlights, impossible to clean seats, etc. I've had every problem that everyone else has had. This is the least reliable, most poorly designed car with the worst customer service I've ever had; it's also incredibly cute and very fun to drive! I would never spend another penny on a volkswagen, especially if it was my only car. We have other cars so it wasn't a problem that has been in the shop almost 20 times.

A fun little car!
By mjvoigts on 09/16/09 10:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I LOVE my bug!!! I have flowers decked out all over it and it really turns heads! It is zippy and fun and the convertible top is great for Florida. I have had it in the shop for multiple repairs, but they've all been covered under warranty. The tires get bald quick, and the battery only lasted a year, though. Warranty covered a complete re-do of the electrical system, and a new top as the back window was falling out. The interior paint is so fun, but it does chip and that looks tacky. But I do looooove my car!! Also, with the Turbo engine, the mileage kind of stinks, and it requires premium fuel...

TDI Beetle - best kept secret out there
By AIXIZCYCLES on 07/06/09 09:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Having learned to drive on a 1962 bug, I have a certain affection for the Beetle. This new one does not disappoint and is uber fun to drive. Owing a new Suburban and also a HD bike, I use the Beetle for daily chores and business commuting. At 6'1" and 250lbs, I have plenty of room. I specifically wanted a turbo diesel, manual because a small car should be fun and involve the driver in the experience. Can't complain abut the 44mpg I am getting as well! I also have a grin on my face knowing that it does not meet current EPA requirements!!! Global warm this.

Sick of Dung Beetle
By abroome on 05/04/09 19:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This Beetle is the worst car I have ever owned. The cup holders, the window regulators, the air bag light, the check engine light, replaced several headlights, the convertible top, the console lock, and the transmission. These are just a few problems with the car. THe transmission will not shift and the VW dealership wants 6,000 to fix this. I will never buy another VW again. The dealerships act like nothing ever happens with these cars but everyone I talk to has these problems. Also a design flaw regarding the battery and seatbelts. Battery must be replaced by dealership. Beware!!!!! Very cute car but not reliable at all. It is a piece of crap there for a dung beetle!

Money!!!!!!!!!!!!
By age on 04/20/09 23:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and I haven't even paid for the whole thing and already without maint. I have spent $7,000 on repairs. I drive 3 miles each way. My back window has stop working after 2 years and they told me $1,000. It wasn't covered under warranty. All I want to say is think about it first.