Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Loads of fun
By Merrily

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Takes ten years off your age. You feel life again...Happy 50th birthday to me!

Favorite Features

The air blowing thru my two Yorkies hair.

Suggested Improvements

This is my fourth VW. Never had a problem with any of them.

Lemon
By dfalasch

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The top broke within the first three months, stuck open, less than 2,000 miles. It took 3 tries for the dealership to fix it, and still not sure if it is fixed for good. The windows were part of a recall (clamps loosened so they added adhesive post production). Never got the recall notice, but the windows rattled so bad it sounded like it was falling apart. The last time I got the car back they misaligned the driver side window so that is hits the stops and makes a clunk. In addition, the windows still all rattle like the car was put together with Elmers glue. VW has a history of window problems. The sound system makes a loud hissing sound.

Favorite Features

Only one more time to fix the car and it will be lemoned, then I can get rid of it and get something else. It may be cute, but it does not make up for the time it is in the shop, or the hollow feeling in your stomach every time you enter the car wondering what will break next.

Suggested Improvements

Build a car that works. Based on my searching owner sites, it appears that these problems are systematic. Just look at the number of recalls on these poorly built cars.

Fun Bug
By Ladycat600

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

There have been some problems with the window mechanisms, and a recall on the window bolts, but other than those inconveniences, this car is without a doubt a FUN car to own. It is very attractive, with many comments from passerby's on the attractiveness and admired changes in spaciousness, including an impressive sized trunk.I enjoy listening to the camaraderie of "bug lovers" memories shared with me while sitting at stop lights( with the top down.) It is a sharp, peppy, fun car to drive! If you want FUN at a reasonable price, the Turbo Bug Convertible is THE CHOICE!

Favorite Features

No hassels "drop top" ability. Two power ports for cell chargers.

Suggested Improvements

An ashtray/coin tray in the front, and brighter rear-view mirror map lights. (no dome light-only night light source. Exterior/Interior-color selection,not enough colors to choose from.

buggin in USA
By mike RICE

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

wE HAD A BUG WHEN i WAS YOUNGER. ALWAYS WANTED ANOTHER. THIS CAR HAS BEEN AN EYE CATCHER. EVERYONE SMILES WHEN WE DRIVE BUY. WE LOVE THE CAR OVERALL...RIDES NICER THAN MY MAXIMA. ONLY THINGS WE DONT LIKE, THE RADIO IS TERRIBLE FOR RECEPTION DUE TO SMALL ANTENNA. NO CD PLAYER STANDARD. HAD EVERY OPTION UNDER THE SUN AND NO CD..COMEON.

Favorite Features

STYLE, FIT AND FINISH

Suggested Improvements

PUT A CD PLAYER AS STANDARD. WE DO NOT WANT TO SPEND 500.00 MORE FOR A RADIO THAT GETS RID OF THE ONLY REASONABLE STORAGE.

My Lemon
By SmartyPantsGirl

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My new beetle convertible was in the shop over twenty times in a six month period! The top broke a total of sixteen times, the windows stopped rolling up and down, my transmission went out at 4,000 miles, my brakes failed me while on the freeway at 6,000 miles, it puffed out all kinds of white smoke... It was a mess- do yourself a favor and save your time and money, I filed the lemon the law and got all of my momey back.