Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

One great "fun loving" car!
By Dawn Morton

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Comfort beyond any expectation. Smooth riding and reasonably responsive. Absolutely no driver fatigue over long distances. Wind noise is minimal with top down. Build quality is exceptional for a car costing so little. Has very "solid" feel". To our surprise, we enjoy this car as much for long distance driving as we do for around town transportation. We own two Mercedes and a GMC Yukon. We love our Bug the best!

Convertable feature and manual transmission. Seats are very comfortable, with adequate adjustments

Electric seat adjustment(s) option.

VW BUG CONVERTIBLE
By pjones

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The only disign problem I have with the convertible is the windows catch on the roof when the doors are opened.

The retro look.

Recall and fix the problem with the windows.

everybody's lookin'
By A Craig

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had VW bugs, both sedans and conv. over the years- a. 56 bug b. 62 bug c. 64 bug conv. d. 71 Ghia conv. e. 78 Super bug conv. I just wanted another, never had a new one; but this time I wanted lots of features and comfort with thew VW bug aura. Everyone in the the whole neighborhood wanted rides in it- they still do! Great fun! Great feeling!

Overall looks; turbo power; "Bug" mystique; room for flower vase; brakes are awesome. The many features that are "standard"

Seat belt handling a bit awkward. Rear viewing device other than mirror. Rear warning device to others.

Front & Rear Impact
By Dora

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I actually have a 2005 Beetle Conv. I was hit from the rear by an SUV doing @ 40-45 mph. I was at a stop. The impact pushed me into & under the Ford F150 in front of me, and pushed us both through the intersection. My air bag deployed and my rear seat roll over protection deployed. My car was a total loss at an estimate in excess of $21,000. I bought another beetle.

It is sooo much fun to drive. I love to see the kids 'punch-buggy' each other as I go by. I love the turbo. It drives like you are gliding on air.

The only thing I would change is I would put a little finger space on the trunk to make it easier to lift open after hitting the trunk release.

My beetle & Me
By clc2580

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

When the New Beetle Hatchback came out in 1998, I knew that I wanted have one as my very own. But once the word was out about the Convertible I had to get it instead. I own a Sundown Orange one w/black-grey interior....which was very hard to get (limited availibity in NJ) and I absoultely love it! Great handling, quiet smooth ride, love the blue and red dash...rear seats are more spacious than I thought. Trunk space is a little disappointing, but the head room and "open" feel of the interior makes up for it. It's almost like a clown car...looks so small outside, but once inside you feel so comfortable. My tallest friends (at around 6'2") fit without any trouble. Limited glove box storage....

exterior color, blue/red dash, great gas milage, soft top latch and switch makes it very easy to lower/raise roof; intergrated blinker signals in side mirrors

Hook-up for iPod, cellphone. Standard CD-cassette indash stereo , better interior lighting system (light off of rear-view mirror is limited); easier adjusting air/heating vents to control air flow; folding rear seat