2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
I Love Beetles
By Nancy on 06/23/06 13:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really enjoy this car. I was hesitant at first to get one, but now am so glad I did! It is great on gas, fun to drive, and very comfortable. There is much more room inside than one would expect in a small car. I have the 1.8 turbo. It is a great performer and so fun to drive. It handles really well. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for better gas mileage without sacrificing fun and performance.

Piece of Junk!
By Kay Highland on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

If you are thinking about buying a new VW Beetle, think again! This is the biggest piece of junk on the market! I have lost count as to how many times my car has been in the shop. It is in there right now because it will not start! They are cute and fun to drive but not reliable! I have had just about everything you can imagine go wrong with my car. I have had five oxygen sensors replaced, my CD changer replaced three times and have had several other issues. My Instrument Cluster went out and it is $300.00 to replace. The dealership charges $235.00 for a new battery! I just spent $300.00 two weeks ago to replace a bad Temperature gage. Do not buy!

very fun car for a diesel
By arice on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Surprised how fun this car is to drive. Never dreamed that I would be driving a diesel. I have a long commute and this is the perfect fit for me.

Age of Aquarius!
By tmeyedoc on 04/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

This is my 2nd New Beetle Convertible. 1st was 2.0L Tiptronic...too little power. Went to 2004 1.8L Turbo 5 speed...When you accelerate in this car you feel like the front is lifting off the ground! The turbo made all the difference. Plus, the retro look in the aquarius blue is icing! I love my car!

My Turbo
By RRB on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

A few too many recalls for windows & electrical. But the service from the dealership has been great. When looking at this and other cars, I was looking for something fun to drive and I had to stay under a $50K budget. There were no other requirements. This was one of the most exciting to drive and it came in at less then half the budget. The gas mileage might not what you'd expect, but I can handle 27 city, 31 hwy. Don't get this one with an automatic, what fun is that!

Better than expected
By wingate on 12/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

I bought this car at the insistance of my wife who spent her teen aged years in a VW bug. I expected a crampled interior and poor performance but was plesantly surprised. Get the turbo!..just don't look under the hood...this car can only be serviced by a VW electronic engineer!

Turbo S named MAX
By wldwsel on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Great car. Fun to drive - lots of features. My first new car was a 68 VW Bug, so I can can compare and say this one has all the things you would have wanted if you could have afforded to modify it, plus it's much larger inside.

mb
By mab on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

What a pleasure to drive! Smooth, quiet, and very peppy. Gear ratio is great in traffic or on the highway. The ride is comfortable but I would not put anyone in the back seat for any distance. Lots of fun and perfect size for virtually every errand.