Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

I Love Beetles
By Nancy

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really enjoy this car. I was hesitant at first to get one, but now am so glad I did! It is great on gas, fun to drive, and very comfortable. There is much more room inside than one would expect in a small car. I have the 1.8 turbo. It is a great performer and so fun to drive. It handles really well. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for better gas mileage without sacrificing fun and performance.

Favorite Features

This car is fun, has an ergonomic interior design, along with cute rounded exterior styling and a choice of bright summer colors. It has a great sound system and performance, too.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of a thing. It's perfect as is.

Piece of Junk!
By Kay Highland

If you are thinking about buying a new VW Beetle, think again! This is the biggest piece of junk on the market! I have lost count as to how many times my car has been in the shop. It is in there right now because it will not start! They are cute and fun to drive but not reliable! I have had just about everything you can imagine go wrong with my car. I have had five oxygen sensors replaced, my CD changer replaced three times and have had several other issues. My Instrument Cluster went out and it is $300.00 to replace. The dealership charges $235.00 for a new battery! I just spent $300.00 two weeks ago to replace a bad Temperature gage. Do not buy!

Favorite Features

Fast and fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Quit making them!

very fun car for a diesel
By arice

Surprised how fun this car is to drive. Never dreamed that I would be driving a diesel. I have a long commute and this is the perfect fit for me.

Favorite Features

Great mileage and fun.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe the seats.

Age of Aquarius!
By tmeyedoc

This is my 2nd New Beetle Convertible. 1st was 2.0L Tiptronic...too little power. Went to 2004 1.8L Turbo 5 speed...When you accelerate in this car you feel like the front is lifting off the ground! The turbo made all the difference. Plus, the retro look in the aquarius blue is icing! I love my car!

Favorite Features

The whole package. I especially like the chrome accents.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see chrome bumpers come back & chrome running boards.

My Turbo
By RRB

A few too many recalls for windows & electrical. But the service from the dealership has been great. When looking at this and other cars, I was looking for something fun to drive and I had to stay under a $50K budget. There were no other requirements. This was one of the most exciting to drive and it came in at less then half the budget. The gas mileage might not what you'd expect, but I can handle 27 city, 31 hwy. Don't get this one with an automatic, what fun is that!

Favorite Features

Speed and acceleration. This car might be the ultimate sleeper. Steering is very tight and responsive. Ever pull up next to a 911 at 140mph, me and the Beetle have.

Suggested Improvements

Even though this car has a front mounted water-cooled engine and front wheel drive with limited slip, the front end gets a little loose when you give it some gas.