Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Stay Away!!
By Liz

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

WORST car to own! I have had it for 3 months and it has given me more problems than any other car i have ever owned! It is not worth your time and MONEY! omg. So many electrical problems and the inside is just falling apart! Don't let the cuteness fool you! Lesson learned here!!!!

Yet another lemon New Beetle
By onclewillie

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

The worst VW I have ever owned. Hideous number of electrical problems with multiple trips to the dealer for air bags, engine indicator lights, turn signals and so on. Transmission died a few miles from expiration. I actually pulled to the side of the road, called the dealer on my cellular phone and reported the problem and gave them the mileage a told them the problem occurred UNDER warranty. The timing belt broke, roughly a 300 buck fix, but it took out all but 2 valves. Cost over 3,000 to put back on the road and then more problems with the exhaust and gaskets. Now the turbo makes a funny, and not ha-ha, noise and I am looking at my fourth set of tires. Will never own another VW.

When it runs, and that is far too little of the time, it is just a blast to drive. Handles well and the turbo takes me up through the mountain passes as fast as any car on the road.

Reliability, reliability, reliability. Hire someone from Toyota to handle the quality control. There is no excuse for such shoddy engineering and assembly.

LEMON BEETLE
By dilyse

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this cute bug 6 years ago for my daughter. Has been in the shop more times than I can count. I've always had it serviced right on time either at a dealer or by a VW specialist and still have tons of problems. Main ones: - SUNROOF LEAKS - ruined interior! Have taken it to a VW dealer 4 times and an independent specialist once. Still leaks. Really bad design! - POWER WINDOW MOTOR - Replaced - Misc Buttons - pop off. Design is also really a 2-seater as the rear seats are virtually useless for anyone over 5 feet tall. My daughter wanted this based on looks alone. At least this has been a great lesson for her. NEXT TIME SHE'LL BUY QUALITY IN ADDITION TO LOOKS. AVOID THE BUG!

Looks. Very cute. Drives well for a small car. But very frustrating to own which outweighs those features.

Redesign the sunroof to eliminate leaks as it is a real problem.

A fun little car!
By mjvoigts

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I LOVE my bug!!! I have flowers decked out all over it and it really turns heads! It is zippy and fun and the convertible top is great for Florida. I have had it in the shop for multiple repairs, but they've all been covered under warranty. The tires get bald quick, and the battery only lasted a year, though. Warranty covered a complete re-do of the electrical system, and a new top as the back window was falling out. The interior paint is so fun, but it does chip and that looks tacky. But I do looooove my car!! Also, with the Turbo engine, the mileage kind of stinks, and it requires premium fuel...

The look of it, the convertible top, the snazzy way it drives.

Improve the mileage, make it more reliable, and put some sort of a sealant over the interior paint to make it more durable. Buyer beware: get an extended warranty on this car!!

Mixed Bag
By TurboS04

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is used for work purposes, and is covered in advertising. While I was nervous to purchase based on review it has turned out to be an okay car. I've had issues with airbag and check engine lights but there is a ton of information on the internet to help out with those issues. The car is fast and fun to drive, and has a lot of nice features for the cost. Luckily, knock on wood, my issues have been small and hoping for a few more years of reliability.

Sport seats are great, along with fantastic aircon, stereo system and heated seats! (You could fry an egg on them!)

Better reliability, and less rattles. Otherwise, so far, so good!