2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Sort Reviews by

Yet another lemon New Beetle
By onclewillie

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

The worst VW I have ever owned. Hideous number of electrical problems with multiple trips to the dealer for air bags, engine indicator lights, turn signals and so on. Transmission died a few miles from expiration. I actually pulled to the side of the road, called the dealer on my cellular phone and reported the problem and gave them the mileage a told them the problem occurred UNDER warranty. The timing belt broke, roughly a 300 buck fix, but it took out all but 2 valves. Cost over 3,000 to put back on the road and then more problems with the exhaust and gaskets. Now the turbo makes a funny, and not ha-ha, noise and I am looking at my fourth set of tires. Will never own another VW.

Favorite Features

When it runs, and that is far too little of the time, it is just a blast to drive. Handles well and the turbo takes me up through the mountain passes as fast as any car on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, reliability, reliability. Hire someone from Toyota to handle the quality control. There is no excuse for such shoddy engineering and assembly.

LEMON BEETLE
By dilyse

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this cute bug 6 years ago for my daughter. Has been in the shop more times than I can count. I've always had it serviced right on time either at a dealer or by a VW specialist and still have tons of problems. Main ones: - SUNROOF LEAKS - ruined interior! Have taken it to a VW dealer 4 times and an independent specialist once. Still leaks. Really bad design! - POWER WINDOW MOTOR - Replaced - Misc Buttons - pop off. Design is also really a 2-seater as the rear seats are virtually useless for anyone over 5 feet tall. My daughter wanted this based on looks alone. At least this has been a great lesson for her. NEXT TIME SHE'LL BUY QUALITY IN ADDITION TO LOOKS. AVOID THE BUG!

Favorite Features

Looks. Very cute. Drives well for a small car. But very frustrating to own which outweighs those features.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the sunroof to eliminate leaks as it is a real problem.

A fun little car!
By mjvoigts

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I LOVE my bug!!! I have flowers decked out all over it and it really turns heads! It is zippy and fun and the convertible top is great for Florida. I have had it in the shop for multiple repairs, but they've all been covered under warranty. The tires get bald quick, and the battery only lasted a year, though. Warranty covered a complete re-do of the electrical system, and a new top as the back window was falling out. The interior paint is so fun, but it does chip and that looks tacky. But I do looooove my car!! Also, with the Turbo engine, the mileage kind of stinks, and it requires premium fuel...

Favorite Features

The look of it, the convertible top, the snazzy way it drives.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the mileage, make it more reliable, and put some sort of a sealant over the interior paint to make it more durable. Buyer beware: get an extended warranty on this car!!

Mixed Bag
By TurboS04

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is used for work purposes, and is covered in advertising. While I was nervous to purchase based on review it has turned out to be an okay car. I've had issues with airbag and check engine lights but there is a ton of information on the internet to help out with those issues. The car is fast and fun to drive, and has a lot of nice features for the cost. Luckily, knock on wood, my issues have been small and hoping for a few more years of reliability.

Favorite Features

Sport seats are great, along with fantastic aircon, stereo system and heated seats! (You could fry an egg on them!)

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability, and less rattles. Otherwise, so far, so good!

love bug
By shirin

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my beetle, and would keep it for the rest of my life. It has never given me any problems. I can rely on it to be my best freind and never has let me down. I did not have to spend a Penny on it so far... Never had any problems specially with Windows or airbag or others mentioned by other reviews.

Favorite Features

love it all, specially its shape

Suggested Improvements

keep on making them for ever

Hate This Bug: Buyer Beware
By ekl

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the car I always wanted. Although parts of the first two years of ownership were fun, overall this is the worst purchase I have ever made. I will NEVER buy another Volkswagen! I've owned this car for 4 1/2 years. In the last year, my bug has been towed into the dealership 3 times because it will not start, and I've shelled out $3,000 in repairs. I've had the seat handles replaced multiple times, the trunk will not open on the first try, the headlights short out constantly, etc. To date, I've had the following replaced: throttle body ($800), front airbag sensor ($450), alternator ($500), windshield ($350), front grill ($500). I know the bug is very cute, but don't buy this car!

Favorite Features

Bright green color, sun roof, heated cloth seats

Suggested Improvements

Handles on front seats that do not break constantly, better designed front grill (breaks very easily), trunk that opens on the first try, seats that recline easily.

2004 VW Beetle GL Coupe
By jesmari

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for the small unique design. It is fun to drive and has great stability. It is very reliable. The only con is a minor electrical fault in the airbag system. The system frequently gave a false alert of having problems, without there actually being a problem.

Favorite Features

The spacy interior design, great road stability, and good fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a better electrical system. Continue to make the "turbo" engine .. and include Turbo automatic transmission.

I Love Beetles
By Nancy

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really enjoy this car. I was hesitant at first to get one, but now am so glad I did! It is great on gas, fun to drive, and very comfortable. There is much more room inside than one would expect in a small car. I have the 1.8 turbo. It is a great performer and so fun to drive. It handles really well. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for better gas mileage without sacrificing fun and performance.

Favorite Features

This car is fun, has an ergonomic interior design, along with cute rounded exterior styling and a choice of bright summer colors. It has a great sound system and performance, too.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of a thing. It's perfect as is.

I love this car
By Holly

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car ever and even if I could have any car in the world I would still want this one!

Favorite Features

I really like the flower vase. I think it gives the car its charm.

Suggested Improvements

It should have a little more power.

Maintenance is too High!
By jt

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The car is beautiful and drives beautifully, however the cost of simple things like brake jobs is too high and it is always a battle to get "Warranty" work done. The dealership claims that simple brake pads cost me $172.00 just for the pads for the front of the car. I was quoted over $400.00 just to replace the pads for the front of the car. I think that is inappropriate for a supposed economy car. Read below as well about the two times I have been stranded.

Favorite Features

The car is just plain fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

There is some problem with the switch that lets the transmission know that the brake is engaged so that the car can be shifted into drive. Twice I have been stranded in the middle of no where with a car that would not go into drive and had to have a very expensive towing and took a week to fix!