2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Yet another lemon New Beetle
By onclewillie on 01/29/13 15:28 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

The worst VW I have ever owned. Hideous number of electrical problems with multiple trips to the dealer for air bags, engine indicator lights, turn signals and so on. Transmission died a few miles from expiration. I actually pulled to the side of the road, called the dealer on my cellular phone and reported the problem and gave them the mileage a told them the problem occurred UNDER warranty. The timing belt broke, roughly a 300 buck fix, but it took out all but 2 valves. Cost over 3,000 to put back on the road and then more problems with the exhaust and gaskets. Now the turbo makes a funny, and not ha-ha, noise and I am looking at my fourth set of tires. Will never own another VW.

LEMON BEETLE
By dilyse on 08/24/11 17:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this cute bug 6 years ago for my daughter. Has been in the shop more times than I can count. I've always had it serviced right on time either at a dealer or by a VW specialist and still have tons of problems. Main ones: - SUNROOF LEAKS - ruined interior! Have taken it to a VW dealer 4 times and an independent specialist once. Still leaks. Really bad design! - POWER WINDOW MOTOR - Replaced - Misc Buttons - pop off. Design is also really a 2-seater as the rear seats are virtually useless for anyone over 5 feet tall. My daughter wanted this based on looks alone. At least this has been a great lesson for her. NEXT TIME SHE'LL BUY QUALITY IN ADDITION TO LOOKS. AVOID THE BUG!

A fun little car!
By mjvoigts on 09/16/09 10:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I LOVE my bug!!! I have flowers decked out all over it and it really turns heads! It is zippy and fun and the convertible top is great for Florida. I have had it in the shop for multiple repairs, but they've all been covered under warranty. The tires get bald quick, and the battery only lasted a year, though. Warranty covered a complete re-do of the electrical system, and a new top as the back window was falling out. The interior paint is so fun, but it does chip and that looks tacky. But I do looooove my car!! Also, with the Turbo engine, the mileage kind of stinks, and it requires premium fuel...

Mixed Bag
By TurboS04 on 03/21/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is used for work purposes, and is covered in advertising. While I was nervous to purchase based on review it has turned out to be an okay car. I've had issues with airbag and check engine lights but there is a ton of information on the internet to help out with those issues. The car is fast and fun to drive, and has a lot of nice features for the cost. Luckily, knock on wood, my issues have been small and hoping for a few more years of reliability.

love bug
By shirin on 12/27/08 09:28 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my beetle, and would keep it for the rest of my life. It has never given me any problems. I can rely on it to be my best freind and never has let me down. I did not have to spend a Penny on it so far... Never had any problems specially with Windows or airbag or others mentioned by other reviews.

Hate This Bug: Buyer Beware
By ekl on 12/03/08 13:41 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the car I always wanted. Although parts of the first two years of ownership were fun, overall this is the worst purchase I have ever made. I will NEVER buy another Volkswagen! I've owned this car for 4 1/2 years. In the last year, my bug has been towed into the dealership 3 times because it will not start, and I've shelled out $3,000 in repairs. I've had the seat handles replaced multiple times, the trunk will not open on the first try, the headlights short out constantly, etc. To date, I've had the following replaced: throttle body ($800), front airbag sensor ($450), alternator ($500), windshield ($350), front grill ($500). I know the bug is very cute, but don't buy this car!

2004 VW Beetle GL Coupe
By jesmari on 08/24/06 20:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for the small unique design. It is fun to drive and has great stability. It is very reliable. The only con is a minor electrical fault in the airbag system. The system frequently gave a false alert of having problems, without there actually being a problem.

I Love Beetles
By Nancy on 06/23/06 13:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really enjoy this car. I was hesitant at first to get one, but now am so glad I did! It is great on gas, fun to drive, and very comfortable. There is much more room inside than one would expect in a small car. I have the 1.8 turbo. It is a great performer and so fun to drive. It handles really well. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for better gas mileage without sacrificing fun and performance.

I love this car
By Holly on 06/14/06 16:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car ever and even if I could have any car in the world I would still want this one!

Maintenance is too High!
By jt on 12/20/04 20:55 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The car is beautiful and drives beautifully, however the cost of simple things like brake jobs is too high and it is always a battle to get "Warranty" work done. The dealership claims that simple brake pads cost me $172.00 just for the pads for the front of the car. I was quoted over $400.00 just to replace the pads for the front of the car. I think that is inappropriate for a supposed economy car. Read below as well about the two times I have been stranded.