Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

My bug
By Nativegrl918@gmail.com

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car

Worst purchase of my entire life
By Victoria

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought the car because it was cute, got good gas mileage, and I had always wanted one. Well, 3 years later and i've put around $22,000 into the car. First I started replacing minor things like the timing belt and the water pump, then the alternator, then the radiator, then the computer, then the air conditioning, but then i ended up replacing the engine, then the turbo, then the door, then the head gasket, then the transmission(as well as many many other things). This car has left me stranded on SO many occasions. I'm fearful to even drive this death trap. Please save yourself the heart ache, do NOT buy an older model beetle. The only reason I have held on so long is because my grandfather keeps paying to get it fixed, but this is not an inexpensive quick fix car. It will NEVER end.

Stay Away!!
By Liz

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

WORST car to own! I have had it for 3 months and it has given me more problems than any other car i have ever owned! It is not worth your time and MONEY! omg. So many electrical problems and the inside is just falling apart! Don't let the cuteness fool you! Lesson learned here!!!!

Yet another lemon New Beetle
By onclewillie

The worst VW I have ever owned.
Hideous number of electrical problems with multiple trips to the dealer for air bags, engine indicator lights, turn signals and so on.
Transmission died a few miles from expiration.
I actually pulled to the side of the road, called the dealer on my cellular phone and reported the problem and gave them the mileage a told them the problem occurred UNDER warranty.
The timing belt broke, roughly a 300 buck fix, but it took out all but 2 valves.
Cost over 3,000 to put back on the road and then more problems with the exhaust and gaskets.
Now the turbo makes a funny, and not ha-ha, noise and I am looking at my fourth set of tires.

Will never own another VW.

When it runs, and that is far too little of the time, it is just a blast to drive. Handles well and the turbo takes me up through the mountain passes as fast as any car on the road.

Reliability, reliability, reliability. Hire someone from Toyota to handle the quality control. There is no excuse for such shoddy engineering and assembly.

LEMON BEETLE
By dilyse

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this cute bug 6 years ago for my daughter.
Has been in the shop more times than I can count.
I've always had it serviced right on time either at a dealer or by a VW specialist and still have tons of problems.

Main ones:
- SUNROOF LEAKS - ruined interior!
Have taken it to
a VW dealer 4 times and an independent specialist once.
Still leaks.
Really bad design!
- POWER WINDOW MOTOR - Replaced
- Misc Buttons - pop off.

Design is also really a 2-seater as the rear seats are virtually useless for anyone over 5 feet tall.

My daughter wanted this based on looks alone.
At least this has been a great lesson for her.
NEXT TIME SHE'LL BUY QUALITY IN ADDITION TO LOOKS.

AVOID THE BUG!

Looks. Very cute. Drives well for a small car. But very frustrating to own which outweighs those features.

Redesign the sunroof to eliminate leaks as it is a real problem.