2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
TDI Beetle - best kept secret out there
By AIXIZCYCLES on 07/06/09 09:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Having learned to drive on a 1962 bug, I have a certain affection for the Beetle. This new one does not disappoint and is uber fun to drive. Owing a new Suburban and also a HD bike, I use the Beetle for daily chores and business commuting. At 6'1" and 250lbs, I have plenty of room. I specifically wanted a turbo diesel, manual because a small car should be fun and involve the driver in the experience. Can't complain abut the 44mpg I am getting as well! I also have a grin on my face knowing that it does not meet current EPA requirements!!! Global warm this.

People's Car?? Not this one.
By Virginia&George on 06/03/07 12:31 PM (PDT)

Yes you change oil every 5000 miles, but you have to go to the dealer and buy SPECIAL VW oil?? To do any basic maintenance you need a degree in mechanics?! Even then, you may not be able to reach the fitting or part that you want to service because it is so cramped and difficult. Now after 3 years we have problems: (a) difficulty in starting cold engine in the morning, (b) things fall apart inside the cabin (ashtray, window controls, hand-brake knob, etc.), (c) when you start engine lots of white smoke is delivered by exhaust pipe.

Stay Away from the New Beetle TDI
By Surface on 04/15/05 10:03 AM (PDT)

2003 5-Speed TDI. My expectations of VW quality have been all shut down. This is the worst new car purchased. 2 year old car that needs repairs all the time. Things that should work for years to come break, for example the gas cap release mechanism is a part of a large list of things. Gas milage of this vehicle is great, but what others do not tell you is that maintenance required for this car is horrible, Timing Belt Change every 40K miles required. Parts Sales person from VW told me that all the money you save on gas milage are spent on either repair or maintenance [TDIs mostly]. Have you checked VW reliability ratings? Search the web,you will be surprised that VW is in the Daewoo region!

The New 5-speed Diesel Beetle
By jsbach2 on 11/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

The 2004 5-speed stick shift VW Beetle diesel has gotten me 52.1 mpg, average is 49.0 highest of any car I have owned. And more fun to drive than the 2003 4-speed auto model which never got over 40 mpg.

the beetle is awesome
By Linda Green on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

awesome little car. very fun to drive. the mileage is great. it's very responsive.

Absolute top fuel economy
By Ernie Rogers on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

Don't believe "experts," EPA on fuel economy. The TDI outperforms any other on the highway. My mileage: 52.5 winter, 57.1 summer, at 65 mph. Nobody can touch that, even a 5-pas. hybrid. (Except VW Beetle, Jetta, Golf manual TDIs) I drive 800 miles on one tank, any day of the year, any place. I drove Provo, UT to Fresno, CA and refilled in CA for $25. Eat your heart out, Prius. These TDIs have power. Handling is very smooth. You want something that needs improvement? Okay, the body style is just not as good as the old bug, but not bad for German engineers. (The original people's car was designed by Penin Farina, Italian, the best that ever lived.)

Well Engineered
By Igmandada on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

Still having the honneymoon effect with the beetle, however, we are exceptionally pleased with our 03 GLS TDI 5M. First fuel tank at 43 MPG mostly around town. Very smooth driving and top rate handling & braking. Very easy and fun to drive and gathers speed much quicker than we anticipated. Speedo shows 70mph and it feels like 60, I keep thinking it must be wrong. We love the sunroof and so far very glad we purchased it. I cannot keep the wife out of it. G. Miller

VW Beatle TDI
By doctour on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

The TDI is a great performer and a wonderful car for everyday and for traveling. My wife and I are very happy with the 40 miles per gallon, and we've really enjoyed the trips we've taken in it. I've been driving Mercedes for the last 15 years, so this was a real change, but I'm glad I made the switch. We've had very few problems and none mechanically.