Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

TDI Beetle - best kept secret out there
By AIXIZCYCLES

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Having learned to drive on a 1962 bug, I have a certain affection for the Beetle. This new one does not disappoint and is uber fun to drive. Owing a new Suburban and also a HD bike, I use the Beetle for daily chores and business commuting. At 6'1" and 250lbs, I have plenty of room. I specifically wanted a turbo diesel, manual because a small car should be fun and involve the driver in the experience. Can't complain abut the 44mpg I am getting as well! I also have a grin on my face knowing that it does not meet current EPA requirements!!! Global warm this.

Favorite Features

The turbo diesel, manual. A lot of pull, performs more like my Harley than a small diesel engine. Well done, German engineers. Performance does not disappoint.

Suggested Improvements

Cosmetic. Bumper strips and door panel rub strips to minimize parking lot dings. Also, the battery removal process is absurd (but so German).

People's Car?? Not this one.
By Virginia&George

Yes you change oil every 5000 miles, but you have to go to the dealer and buy SPECIAL VW oil?? To do any basic maintenance you need a degree in mechanics?! Even then, you may not be able to reach the fitting or part that you want to service because it is so cramped and difficult. Now after 3 years we have problems: (a) difficulty in starting cold engine in the morning, (b) things fall apart inside the cabin (ashtray, window controls, hand-brake knob, etc.), (c) when you start engine lots of white smoke is delivered by exhaust pipe.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Make the car RELIABLE as the old Beetle.

Stay Away from the New Beetle TDI
By Surface

2003 5-Speed TDI. My expectations of VW quality have been all shut down. This is the worst new car purchased. 2 year old car that needs repairs all the time. Things that should work for years to come break, for example the gas cap release mechanism is a part of a large list of things. Gas milage of this vehicle is great, but what others do not tell you is that maintenance required for this car is horrible, Timing Belt Change every 40K miles required. Parts Sales person from VW told me that all the money you save on gas milage are spent on either repair or maintenance [TDIs mostly]. Have you checked VW reliability ratings? Search the web,you will be surprised that VW is in the Daewoo region!

Favorite Features

Gas Milage, Very tourque car.

Suggested Improvements

Rear Seats headroom and angle of back rest. Timing Belt change intervals are way to frequent. VW dealer knowledge of their own cars is not impressive. Quality of dealer repair work is poor. I found dropped tools in my engine bay when I changed oil. Parts and Labor pricing is way overpriced.

The New 5-speed Diesel Beetle
By jsbach2

The 2004 5-speed stick shift VW Beetle diesel has gotten me 52.1 mpg, average is 49.0 highest of any car I have owned. And more fun to drive than the 2003 4-speed auto model which never got over 40 mpg.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Interior lighting sucks

It's Got Go.
By feedle

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

What an amazing, fun little car. I have a TDI diesel, with the Tiptronic transmission, and this is hands down the most fun car I've ever driven. Out of the gate mine has had a few minor hiccups (CD player stopped playing CDs on the fourth day, airbag system isn't working properly [diag. light]), but the dealerships I've dealt with have been quick to repair and cooperative. And, the fuel economy is AMAZING! 400-500 miles on a tank of diesel is "normal" for this car, and with some conservative driving, I've pushed it to nearly 600. A worthy successor to the "Beetle" name.

Favorite Features

It's.. just.. so.. darn.. cute! MP3-capable CD player was a nice touch. Tiptronic transmission is the best of both worlds: automatic for the routine trips, but easy downshifting for hills.. or when I want to feel like I'm a teenager again. Oh, and chicks dig it.

Suggested Improvements

There is no place on the dashboard to really install any electronics, like a Sirius reciever or my iPod. Also, the cupholders are completely useless.. even a 16oz can of soda is difficult to get out. Also, the "default" wheels scratch way to easily.