2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
TDI Beetle - best kept secret out there
By AIXIZCYCLES on 07/06/09 09:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Having learned to drive on a 1962 bug, I have a certain affection for the Beetle. This new one does not disappoint and is uber fun to drive. Owing a new Suburban and also a HD bike, I use the Beetle for daily chores and business commuting. At 6'1" and 250lbs, I have plenty of room. I specifically wanted a turbo diesel, manual because a small car should be fun and involve the driver in the experience. Can't complain abut the 44mpg I am getting as well! I also have a grin on my face knowing that it does not meet current EPA requirements!!! Global warm this.

People's Car?? Not this one.
By Virginia&George on 06/03/07 12:31 PM (PDT)

Yes you change oil every 5000 miles, but you have to go to the dealer and buy SPECIAL VW oil?? To do any basic maintenance you need a degree in mechanics?! Even then, you may not be able to reach the fitting or part that you want to service because it is so cramped and difficult. Now after 3 years we have problems: (a) difficulty in starting cold engine in the morning, (b) things fall apart inside the cabin (ashtray, window controls, hand-brake knob, etc.), (c) when you start engine lots of white smoke is delivered by exhaust pipe.

Stay Away from the New Beetle TDI
By Surface on 04/15/05 10:03 AM (PDT)

2003 5-Speed TDI. My expectations of VW quality have been all shut down. This is the worst new car purchased. 2 year old car that needs repairs all the time. Things that should work for years to come break, for example the gas cap release mechanism is a part of a large list of things. Gas milage of this vehicle is great, but what others do not tell you is that maintenance required for this car is horrible, Timing Belt Change every 40K miles required. Parts Sales person from VW told me that all the money you save on gas milage are spent on either repair or maintenance [TDIs mostly]. Have you checked VW reliability ratings? Search the web,you will be surprised that VW is in the Daewoo region!

The New 5-speed Diesel Beetle
By jsbach2 on 11/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

The 2004 5-speed stick shift VW Beetle diesel has gotten me 52.1 mpg, average is 49.0 highest of any car I have owned. And more fun to drive than the 2003 4-speed auto model which never got over 40 mpg.

It's Got Go.
By feedle on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

What an amazing, fun little car. I have a TDI diesel, with the Tiptronic transmission, and this is hands down the most fun car I've ever driven. Out of the gate mine has had a few minor hiccups (CD player stopped playing CDs on the fourth day, airbag system isn't working properly [diag. light]), but the dealerships I've dealt with have been quick to repair and cooperative. And, the fuel economy is AMAZING! 400-500 miles on a tank of diesel is "normal" for this car, and with some conservative driving, I've pushed it to nearly 600. A worthy successor to the "Beetle" name.

the beetle is awesome
By Linda Green on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

awesome little car. very fun to drive. the mileage is great. it's very responsive.

VW Deisel Get Good Grades
By Justiniandog on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

After getting used to the auto tiptronic transmission I love the VW New Beetle TDI. Smooth, powerful, and fuel efficient. With all the traveling I do, I fill the tank every 7=8 days and that's not a complete refill mind you. Love it...its a keeper.

bernie
By jennychan on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Beware the 40,000 mile service costs $1,000 ... they must have this VW confused with a porshe ... when you figure that added expense, you can wave goodbye to any fuel savings

Roomiest of all Vehicles, Handles great!
By otter63 on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I'm 6 feet, 6 inches tall, need lots of headroom. This is the only car, truck, or SUV in which I have ROOM TO SPARE ABOVE MY HEAD. Got the GL, as a sunroof would have eliminated the headroom. Surprising amount of "hip room". I have plenty of room to let my knees out to the side, without hitting power window or gearshift consoles. Got the diesel with the intent of running biodiesel, helping eliminate our dependence on oil, but VW says that will put my warranty at risk. Anyway, I'm AVERAGING 50 mpg with petroleum diesel. Best so far is 62 mpg - seems to be more efficient at 70 mph than 60.

I love my bug!
By tweety76 on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Its quick, its fast and its a heck of alot of fun to drive!