Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Love My Bug
By ladybug

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My dealer's service dept. has been pretty good to work with, I have no major complaints. I love driving my bug. It is fun and everyone justs loves it! It's been very reliable. Every day I want the roof down! The turbo is great for getting on highways! The interior cup holders are very poorly designed though and it didn't come with a CD player. The trunk is hard to close at times. These are minor issues. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

It's so darn cute!

Give it better cup holders and trunk latch.

Poor Customer Service After Sale
By criderun

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This little car has been great until we have tried to get some warranty service done. We have had problems with the battery going dead from about the time the car was 6 months old. The dealership's equipment would not show the battery was bad since the car was jump started and recharged. Every other place in town tested the battery and showed it was bad. We have been fighting this for over a year now. Anytime we go out of town and the car sits for 2-3 days the battery is totally dead. We finally had the car towed to the dealership while it was dead but they are over a week behind being caught up on doing warranty work. Now I am no longer considering that new GTI. Nice cars, bad service.

The styling always catches people's eyes. The optional 17 inch wheels really set off look better than standard 16 inchers.

Place more emphasis on customer service after the sale instead of taking my money and then closing up tighter than a clam. There needs to be a signal amplifier for the radio since there is not a radio antenna, just the wire embedded in the windshield.

Love this Bug
By Momsmoose

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife has always wanted a Bug ragtop. This is our first convertible and we just love it. It rides well, looks great, and really goes. Ours is a silver, 1.8 Liter Turbo with a black top and black leather. It also has the low profile tires and custom wheels. An older gentleman asked me if it was a Porsche, so I told him, Why yes it is! While no Boxster, it's great fun. Do yourself a favor and buy one!

The power top works great, the Tiptronic in manual mode is neat, it has a good sound system, the rear seat wind deflector.

Improve the turbo lag and the trunk is like a big glove compartment.

My '04 Bug
By my04bug

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is fun to drive and fairly economical (the turbo takes premium). My only complaints have been with dashboard warning lights that light with no apparent reason, a center console that cannot be locked, and a balky roof that has had to be repaired on several occasions.

The convertible top is fun and the Monsoon sound system is superb.

I say a prayer every time the convertible top comes back up after being down for a long time. There has to be a more reliable system.

Beware of Electrical Problems
By Kristen

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Even though this car is absolutely darling, it has had numberous electrical problems. I have had my car in about five times for electrical problems. Windows unaligned causing rain to come in, not going back up or down, radio stays on when key is removed door shut and locked, air bag light on, coolant light on, tail lights going out several times and the dealership just does not care about it at all. I am trading it in and going back to Toyota. I will miss my little bug but it's unreliable. Good thing I don't work, I would be fired for the times I have been without a car and unable to go anywhere. I am afraid to take it on a road trip. Purchase a Toyota or Honda.

Convertible, cuteness, comfort and such a blast to drive. Children just love to look at it, everyone smiles at me when I am driving around in it. It really is the cutest little thing.

The trunk is hard to close, cup holders are too short and in the wrong spot. VW needs to work on their customer service. They do not care at all about their customers. Remember, it is the customers that keep you in business and we have many automakers to choose from.