2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

GLS 1.8T Convertible (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Love My Bug
By ladybug on 03/12/07 11:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My dealer's service dept. has been pretty good to work with, I have no major complaints. I love driving my bug. It is fun and everyone justs loves it! It's been very reliable. Every day I want the roof down! The turbo is great for getting on highways! The interior cup holders are very poorly designed though and it didn't come with a CD player. The trunk is hard to close at times. These are minor issues. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

Poor Customer Service After Sale
By criderun on 07/05/06 10:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This little car has been great until we have tried to get some warranty service done. We have had problems with the battery going dead from about the time the car was 6 months old. The dealership's equipment would not show the battery was bad since the car was jump started and recharged. Every other place in town tested the battery and showed it was bad. We have been fighting this for over a year now. Anytime we go out of town and the car sits for 2-3 days the battery is totally dead. We finally had the car towed to the dealership while it was dead but they are over a week behind being caught up on doing warranty work. Now I am no longer considering that new GTI. Nice cars, bad service.

Love this Bug
By Momsmoose on 05/27/06 15:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife has always wanted a Bug ragtop. This is our first convertible and we just love it. It rides well, looks great, and really goes. Ours is a silver, 1.8 Liter Turbo with a black top and black leather. It also has the low profile tires and custom wheels. An older gentleman asked me if it was a Porsche, so I told him, Why yes it is! While no Boxster, it's great fun. Do yourself a favor and buy one!

My '04 Bug
By my04bug on 12/14/05 08:05 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is fun to drive and fairly economical (the turbo takes premium). My only complaints have been with dashboard warning lights that light with no apparent reason, a center console that cannot be locked, and a balky roof that has had to be repaired on several occasions.

Beware of Electrical Problems
By Kristen on 09/08/05 00:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Even though this car is absolutely darling, it has had numberous electrical problems. I have had my car in about five times for electrical problems. Windows unaligned causing rain to come in, not going back up or down, radio stays on when key is removed door shut and locked, air bag light on, coolant light on, tail lights going out several times and the dealership just does not care about it at all. I am trading it in and going back to Toyota. I will miss my little bug but it's unreliable. Good thing I don't work, I would be fired for the times I have been without a car and unable to go anywhere. I am afraid to take it on a road trip. Purchase a Toyota or Honda.

Not Particularly Happy
By chris love on 08/20/05 11:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Today I sit in the service department for approximately the 10th time in 2 years for yet another repair that has nothing to do with regularly scheduled maintenance. I purchased a new car to avoid this type of situation. It's a cutie, but it has ultimately been a disappointment as far as quality, especially electrical components. I am trading it in for a more boring but infinitely more reliable Japanese model after today. If you have a lot of time on your hands to spend in service dept waiting rooms this is the car for you! good luck...you've been warned!

Love it!
By woodog on 05/31/05 17:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great car for the money. I was driving a suburban for the last 6 years and decided I wanted a car. NOthing tickled my fancy quite like the convertible bug! Not quite impressed with the stereo though.

Fun, Sexy and Sassy
By Daga,Utah on 01/11/05 02:04 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible was my dream car, and it still is. Since the day I bought it I didn't have to do anything but oil changes. Nothing is breaking, everything works just like it's designed to. The only one thing I could compalin about it's the gas mileage.

fun car but needs few minor changes
By dude in da bug on 09/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

vehicle extremely fun to drive,especially with top down.would be nice if they would offer v-6 but the turbo is more than adequate

Fun
By jriley on 06/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the most fun car I have ever owned. It handles like a sports car but with a smoother ride. The 5 speed manual transmition is fantastic. Exceleration and ease of shifting add to the overall thrill of this car.