Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Convertible Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

turbo 5 speed fast and great MPG...
By cali guy

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Its was my sister car at 79k miles on it. It look and drove great. I was impress with MPG and Yes at 30 plus plus mpg!! Now at 100k and moved to the horrible south Texas! With humility and very Hot I noticed the door panels are pulling back-off like, there leather and it's anoing! It has cute looks that's what girls and women like but really it's a nice car. With the 1.8L turbo and 5speed manuel...it's a Fast little sleeper...hehe I love it at stop lights with big trucks or mustang even the 320z it just leaves all of them at the light! And the drivers look as they only see my tail lights!! Ha!! But as the car it has one of the Best n World engine top 10... But with the window regulator(drivers side was out!) and door trim pulling out...and headlights work great but fade to fast... It has problems....Sad cuz it's actually a good little Fast great MPG...car. I drove PCH highway for those that don't know that the twisty road on the west coast...and with the top down..it was a fun fun little car to drive...and I drive spiritly quick to I may add. So for a safe and good MPG and a Fast car with manuel n turbocharger it's great. But some quality built materials would be appreciated.

DO NOT BUY/CHEAPLY BUILT
By VW Hater

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had nothing but problems with this car. Front bumper falls off, inside door panel falls off, pully for window snapped, replaced motor, the power steering pump gone twice, and now I am stuck with this huge piece of crap and no dealership will even take it as a trade :'( *** Forget needing a simple part either because they will rape you in price! Fred Flinstone Car!!

Love My Bug
By ladybug

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My dealer's service dept. has been pretty good to work with, I have no major complaints. I love driving my bug. It is fun and everyone justs loves it! It's been very reliable. Every day I want the roof down! The turbo is great for getting on highways! The interior cup holders are very poorly designed though and it didn't come with a CD player. The trunk is hard to close at times. These are minor issues. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

It's so darn cute!

Give it better cup holders and trunk latch.

Poor Customer Service After Sale
By criderun

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This little car has been great until we have tried to get some warranty service done. We have had problems with the battery going dead from about the time the car was 6 months old. The dealership's equipment would not show the battery was bad since the car was jump started and recharged. Every other place in town tested the battery and showed it was bad. We have been fighting this for over a year now. Anytime we go out of town and the car sits for 2-3 days the battery is totally dead. We finally had the car towed to the dealership while it was dead but they are over a week behind being caught up on doing warranty work. Now I am no longer considering that new GTI. Nice cars, bad service.

The styling always catches people's eyes. The optional 17 inch wheels really set off look better than standard 16 inchers.

Place more emphasis on customer service after the sale instead of taking my money and then closing up tighter than a clam. There needs to be a signal amplifier for the radio since there is not a radio antenna, just the wire embedded in the windshield.

Love this Bug
By Momsmoose

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife has always wanted a Bug ragtop. This is our first convertible and we just love it. It rides well, looks great, and really goes. Ours is a silver, 1.8 Liter Turbo with a black top and black leather. It also has the low profile tires and custom wheels. An older gentleman asked me if it was a Porsche, so I told him, Why yes it is! While no Boxster, it's great fun. Do yourself a favor and buy one!

The power top works great, the Tiptronic in manual mode is neat, it has a good sound system, the rear seat wind deflector.

Improve the turbo lag and the trunk is like a big glove compartment.