Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

A bug in the Bug
By Beetle fanatic

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our beetle looking for a fun car that we can take the top down. I've had the sports cars, the expensive convertibles, and even a 74 beetle. If you want a car with the hot factor, get a beetle. If you like to turn heads, this is your car. We have the mellow yellow. The bad part I'd within 48 hrs, we have already made a list of things to ask our VW dealership about. (rear Windows, weather stripping, a couple extremely small rust spots) but I haven't lost hope in the car considering it is my dream ride,

leather seats, unique, 6 cd changer, 5 speed, great mileage. gorgeous design. head turner. this is a car you can crank up the feel good music in. Plenty big for me(6'3", 275 lb.)

please recall the windows. most reviews I've read have talked about the window regulators.

Sick of Dung Beetle
By abroome

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This Beetle is the worst car I have ever owned. The cup holders, the window regulators, the air bag light, the check engine light, replaced several headlights, the convertible top, the console lock, and the transmission. These are just a few problems with the car. THe transmission will not shift and the VW dealership wants 6,000 to fix this. I will never buy another VW again. The dealerships act like nothing ever happens with these cars but everyone I talk to has these problems. Also a design flaw regarding the battery and seatbelts. Battery must be replaced by dealership. Beware!!!!! Very cute car but not reliable at all. It is a piece of crap there for a dung beetle!

Only riding with the top down. Cute color (baby blue)

recall all convertible beetles, redesign the car, everything is cheap about the car

Reliable Engine, Cheap Interior Finishes
By VW_Convertible

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am generally happy with the reliability of my VW engine but am disappointed with the quality of the interior fittings. The Front Power Window mechanism (was faulty) broke several times when the car was nearly new and had to be replaced with re- designed motors and chains (very expensive if car is out of warranty) The rear power window mechanism breaks often and is expensive to repair.....The Car overall is beautifully designed and finished on the outside, has very comfortable front seats, and has a quiet, smooth, stable ride with a well appointed dashboard and easy-to use controls. Automatic transmission started to jerk & stick at slow speeeds > 75,000 miles...Keys cost > 350$ to replace

The beautiful classic, curvaceous Beetle profile and high quality exterior paint finish. In addition to the engine, The AC is good, cold and reliable.

Manual crank windows should be available, and a regular, simple, re- buildable automatic transmission should be available instead of the Tiptronic auto-manual transmission which costs 6,000$ to replace!

2004 convertible vw
By cheryl gillespie

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the design of this car, but have had many problems. Interior beige leather seats impossible to clean. Stained within the first 2 weeks by a leather belt. Seat retractor broke 5 times. Airbag problems on three different ocacasions. Last one took 2 wks to fix. Car sits way too close to the ground. Damaged mine just going up a gravel driveway. Almost 7,000 for new transmission.

It was a grand 4 years
By delta_queen

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Would not have sold it yesterday had I not needed a 4X4. I owned this vehicle for 4 years and loved every minute of it. Always felt like I was in a high quality vehicle. The very few instances I needed minor servicing, the warranty work I got was top notch and ultra quick. (The only probs I had in 4 years were headlight wiring.)

The drop down top of course. Heated seats. Wind screen. Loved my stick shift drivetrain.

This was a pokey car. Very little get up and go. But then they made the turbo.