2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Money!!!!!!!!!!!!
By age on 04/20/09 23:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and I haven't even paid for the whole thing and already without maint. I have spent $7,000 on repairs. I drive 3 miles each way. My back window has stop working after 2 years and they told me $1,000. It wasn't covered under warranty. All I want to say is think about it first.

Do not buy this car
By Carrie on 06/22/06 17:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first week I owned by brand new Beetle, the alternator went out on it. Since then, I have brought it in for so many other problems, I can't name them all. From three window motors breaking, to flooding when it rains through the door, to stalling, to a faulty CD changer. The car is not built right. For the asking price, it's not worth it and it's not a reliable car. Mine isn't the only lemon, a friend of mine has one that had its top get's stuck and not come back up. It's been in the shop for that two times. Sorry, but I've tried to get the dealer to take my car back more than five times. Warning!

I hate my car. It makes me sad.
By tangentgirl on 04/14/06 14:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is cute, but man does it stink. Little things keep breaking. Sure, they're under warranty, but it's a pain to have to bring the thing back to the dealership. I've had to repair the following things: Seat back/fwd levers - these constantly break, both trunk arms, the lock on the center console, the front panel accessory slots (empty), rear phone charger - it fell right out, the back window is starting to have problems rolling down correctly, the front airbag sensor, various electrical problems - including one that made the car turn off while driving. Fun. Also, there's a wheel noise that I need to get checked now. I feel like I drive a 1987 Taurus or something, except with a payment.

This bug is a lemon in disguise
By fitz5678 on 12/01/04 13:42 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just 19 months old, in the shop 5 times, each time 2-5 days. Recalled for top, still broken, mildew smells, radio volume too high. Mechanically sound, but asthetically bogus. Dealership still has followed through and now doesn't return calls. Arghhh

Sad Cute Car
By Heather Maurer on 11/10/04 16:33 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Unfortunately, I have had to bring my car in 5 times for repairs. 4 times because the automatic convertible roof wouldn't go up and 1 time because the motor in the back electric window broke. I love the look, feel and drive of this car and I am completely disgusted and greatly disappointed with the convertible top not working properly. According to the dealership, I am not using due diligence when opening the trunk when the top is down. They are indicating that the top is getting stuck in the trunk which is causing it not to go up and that it is my responsibility to make sure this doesn't happen. This sounds like a design flaw to me!

luvmybug
By krislvsbug on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far so good. I have had a few interior issues ie: Window sensor briken after first mont, passenger side reare seat handle broke off after little use but dealer very easy to deal with and issues not large enough to upset me. Get more people stopping me and talking about my car. Even my husband loves to drive :)

The convertible beetle I own
By Tom Ratliffe on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

handling, manuevability excellent. Gas milage not outstanding but satisfactory. Overall, a fine car for roaming around the island.

Rag Top Problems
By frantommy on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My rag top has been broken twice in one year now the dealer tells me the company does not reconize this as a major problem for this reason it might take weeks to fix,(summer is here now). Has anyone had this problem? Seems that other beetle owners have had this problem at my dealership. Does anyone know what to do?? Is this a LEMON?

How i love beetles
By klassic on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i lovethe cute , groovy, sence of it

proud beetle owner
By pjrph on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely adore this little car. Not much rear room but perfect for one or two.