Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

DO NOT BUY/CHEAPLY BUILT
By VW Hater

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had nothing but problems with this car. Front bumper falls off, inside door panel falls off, pully for window snapped, replaced motor, the power steering pump gone twice, and now I am stuck with this huge piece of crap and no dealership will even take it as a trade :'( *** Forget needing a simple part either because they will rape you in price! Fred Flinstone Car!!

The most trouble prone car of them all. Stay away
By Vince

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car from a family member with only 16K miles and it was garage kept. It's a 2.0 convertible with automatic. I can't begin to say how cheaply built this car is and VW should be ashamed of this product. The structure of this car creaks and moans over smooth roads. The driver's door handle (plastic) was cracked and this cracked the entire door panel. Replacements are hard to find and expensive. I got a new door panel and got metal door handles from ebay. The driver's door latch switch broke. This needed an entire latch and the switch lowers the window when opening and closing the door. Without this switch say goodbye to the top. So I did this myself. Then the rear plastics all cracked. Then the flaps to cover the top frame broke and the top wouldn't move so I took them off to fix it. Then the rear window separated from the canvas. I repaired the rear glass to save me the $2500 for a new top. Once I had this fixed, then the rear driver's window regulator broke. I took this to my friend and he fixed it for $300, but then the power top broke. So I disabled the power top and do it by hand since I'm done fixing stuff on this car. So it's fate is destined to be the in junkyard, but for now it's just rolling junk waiting for it's destiny. All of these repairs are on a low mileage, well maintained car. Other driving impressions- it drives like a cheap economy car. Braking is good. Acceleration is below average. Transmission and engine are still working for some reason. Structure is poor as I described above. Interior storage is average. rear seat room is tight. Paint is good. 30MPG highway. I can not recommend this car under any circumstances even if it's given to you for free. It is very poorly over-engineered. Parts quality is very poor. Construction quality is poor with cheap brittle plastic and weak adhesives holding things together. Parts cost is very high and availability is poor as it may need to be shipped from Germany. So nothing here to see-keep looking.

First car!
By Hadley

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since having this car, I have really liked it. It is my first car so I guess I don't know to much about how nice a first car should be but I really like this one! It took me a while to find the car that I did and I'm glad I found it because it is in good condition. If you find one that works well and drives good then I think it's a great car but if you find one that has a lot of problems and doesnt seem to fit the price then I recommend staying away from it.

A MISTAKE
By Rikky Huskanovic

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First got this car when it was around 80k miles, and it was super cute and super fun for a few days until I noticed that something was wrong half the time when you tried to accelerate. However, it lasted me a few months- all while check engine turned on, it didn't acknowledge gears, etc- until it left me on the side of the highway with the engine and everything inside fried. We got it "fixed" and looked at so many times until it literally just died. No one wanted to even look at it, and the one mechanic that was willing said that all hope was lost. No reliability, no durability, doesn't seem to run over 5000 miles. You will be throwing your money away if you buy it.

It looked really cute, that was about it.

to "improve" means to fix up something that is already decent. I don't know how anyone allowed this to ever become a car. It was probably a plot to scam people out of a lot of money.

Fun in the Sun!
By qtbugg

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love my bug! My husband purchased this used vehicle for my college graduation eight years ago and we have put very little money into her. Runs great, ok gas mileage, consider it's Turbo not diesel. As she's starting to age she's not as quiet as a new ride, but do not look to replace her. In fact looking to change her paint job, red to hot pink.