2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
A MISTAKE
By Rikky Huskanovic on 03/26/15 05:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First got this car when it was around 80k miles, and it was super cute and super fun for a few days until I noticed that something was wrong half the time when you tried to accelerate. However, it lasted me a few months- all while check engine turned on, it didn't acknowledge gears, etc- until it left me on the side of the highway with the engine and everything inside fried. We got it "fixed" and looked at so many times until it literally just died. No one wanted to even look at it, and the one mechanic that was willing said that all hope was lost. No reliability, no durability, doesn't seem to run over 5000 miles. You will be throwing your money away if you buy it.

Worst Car
By lvazquez1watcx on 07/15/13 21:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car on June 2011. it had less than 90, 000 miles on it. few months after i bought it, the flap panels broke, headliner started falling apart and the inside began to deteriorate. when it hit 100,000 miles the transmission started acting up, the valve body ended up need replaced. the headlights and anything electrical really is always acting up. i got this car at the VW dealership and thought i was getting a good deal on it, but not even 2 years later and i have already put thousands of dollars into its repairs. I am a nursing student and this is probably the least reliable car you could own. Have filed a complaint with the BBB, but never received a response.

Dream Car, Turned Nightmare!
By chiquitadog1 on 05/07/12 13:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This was my mom's dream car, but it has been nothing but a nightmare! The electrical is always goofy, fast blinker, check engine light always on & 6 months after buying, driver's side window won't go down and come back up to the hood seal automatically - a problem I've heard about from every convertible owner. Another problem I've heard from every Beetle owner, the water pump either breaks or leaks. The transmission is this cars biggest downfall. After owning it for 1.5 years the transmission would get very touchy, stuck in gear, hard shifting, funny sounds, esp in stop & go traffic or when trying to go after coming to a stop. Finally went completely out while after stopping at a red light.

Worst Mistake Of My Life
By design_o_mite on 01/31/12 12:34 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Within three days of buying a 2004 Beetle convertible from a used dealer for $8,600 (incl CA sales tax and dealer fees), it became obvious the tranny had issues. (88K miles on the car.) Less than 2 months later, I've replaced the transmission, and axle, the triptronic...to the tune of $6500. I'm not into this car 15K and every week, something new (engine valve) keeps popping up. The dealer had to have known--the car didn't "know" what gear it was in the first time I took it on the highway. It only made it the 5 miles home after purchase uneventful. I've now maxed out my credit cards and even w/ the new tranny, the car is STILL shifting choppily!

Worst VW I've Owned (out of 3)
By dsmark on 01/16/12 13:55 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Without a doubt this is the worst VW I have owned. Had a 71 Bug in high school and I would rather have that car back then this 2004. We bought this car in 2006 for my wife, she loved the red/black coloring, and the convertible top. Since buying the car we have replaced the water pump 3 times, drivers side headlight keeps going out, convertable top was vandalized (not VW's fault) the power windows dont auto close correctly. Its just one problem after another...I will never buy another VW

Traded in my BMW for this
By andydrew86 on 10/21/11 04:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've been used to luxury and honestly this VW is not bad. Asian cars are always skimpy on features, and performance. German cars are just as reliable, have tons of technology in them, but do cost way more to maintain. I got it with 78K and put 10K more. I have had no problems at all. The Turbo is so FUN. I Guess it depends where you buy your car from. I got mine from Carmax, I would definitely recommend them. BTW the stereo is GREAT, it seriously rivals the one I had in the BMW 745. I have the optional 17" wheels and sport suspension. This car is SO FUN TO DRIVE, and doesn't put me to sleep like the BMW

Poor Quality
By mas16 on 09/19/11 12:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Stay away - engineering and quality are very poor. I bought the car new for my daugher for a graduation present. With just over 50K miles we have had to rebuild the transmission and replace the cytelitic converter. Also had numorous annoying but slightly less major problems. My daughter had to stop usign the convertible top several years ago. The darn thing is too complicated and something breaks about every third time it was used. The scary thing is that every we encountered a problem I look on the VW forums and found that many other owners are experiencing the same problem.

LOVE THIS LITTLE CAR
By classyirish on 07/22/11 19:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am a PROUD new owner of a used 2004 VW New Beetle convertable. I LOVE IT! So far so good. I have 'dressed' her up with lashes and lipstick, she is fast, smooth, comfortable, roomy, and so very nice to look at. I have read the reviews about this cute car, and I see that a few have had issues, maybe the issues have been taken care of before I bought it, I did have to take her in as the check engine light was on, they fixed it, and she is running smooth. there also was a severed wire under the driver seat, fixed that and now the airbag light is off. I hope to keep her a good 10 to 15 years, and trade her up for another.

Happy Bug
By dave341 on 03/02/11 12:45 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After 6 years and 65,000 miles we still love the car. Great fun in the summer with the top down. No mechanical problems yet, a trouble free experience.

Why this is my last VW purchase
By finalstraw on 12/27/10 11:19 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After owning many VW's and with a lifetime of great memories I've got to accept the fact that VW's have never been reliable and I've spent waaay too much time and waaaay too much money for those memories. The final straw happened today; I received a Warranty Extension notice in the mail about the transmission valve body in my convertible. WOW!...VW finally admitted there has been a problem and they were going to fix it. WRONG! I was out of the warranty window by 2 months - but they could repair it for $2-3k! VW lost me forever. I wish I could recapture the time that I've wasted fooling with VW's. Unless you want to spend a chunk of your life hanging out in garages with mechanics - stay away!