Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

A MISTAKE
By Rikky Huskanovic

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First got this car when it was around 80k miles, and it was super cute and super fun for a few days until I noticed that something was wrong half the time when you tried to accelerate. However, it lasted me a few months- all while check engine turned on, it didn't acknowledge gears, etc- until it left me on the side of the highway with the engine and everything inside fried. We got it "fixed" and looked at so many times until it literally just died. No one wanted to even look at it, and the one mechanic that was willing said that all hope was lost. No reliability, no durability, doesn't seem to run over 5000 miles. You will be throwing your money away if you buy it.

It looked really cute, that was about it.

to "improve" means to fix up something that is already decent. I don't know how anyone allowed this to ever become a car. It was probably a plot to scam people out of a lot of money.

Fun in the Sun!
By qtbugg

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love my bug! My husband purchased this used vehicle for my college graduation eight years ago and we have put very little money into her. Runs great, ok gas mileage, consider it's Turbo not diesel. As she's starting to age she's not as quiet as a new ride, but do not look to replace her. In fact looking to change her paint job, red to hot pink.

Worst Car
By lvazquez1watcx

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car on June 2011. it had less than 90, 000 miles on it. few months after i bought it, the flap panels broke, headliner started falling apart and the inside began to deteriorate. when it hit 100,000 miles the transmission started acting up, the valve body ended up need replaced. the headlights and anything electrical really is always acting up. i got this car at the VW dealership and thought i was getting a good deal on it, but not even 2 years later and i have already put thousands of dollars into its repairs. I am a nursing student and this is probably the least reliable car you could own. Have filed a complaint with the BBB, but never received a response.

convertible top.

better quality materials, better customer service.

Dream Car, Turned Nightmare!
By chiquitadog1

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This was my mom's dream car, but it has been nothing but a nightmare! The electrical is always goofy, fast blinker, check engine light always on & 6 months after buying, driver's side window won't go down and come back up to the hood seal automatically - a problem I've heard about from every convertible owner. Another problem I've heard from every Beetle owner, the water pump either breaks or leaks. The transmission is this cars biggest downfall. After owning it for 1.5 years the transmission would get very touchy, stuck in gear, hard shifting, funny sounds, esp in stop & go traffic or when trying to go after coming to a stop. Finally went completely out while after stopping at a red light.

This is such a cool car and so much fun to drive, especially the convertible model. But if your dream is to own a Beetle convertible, make sure that dream includes constant and expensive maintenance and repairs that will far out weigh the value of the car.

Better transmission, water pump and electrical wiring.

Worst Mistake Of My Life
By design_o_mite

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Within three days of buying a 2004 Beetle convertible from a used dealer for $8,600 (incl CA sales tax and dealer fees), it became obvious the tranny had issues. (88K miles on the car.) Less than 2 months later, I've replaced the transmission, and axle, the triptronic...to the tune of $6500. I'm not into this car 15K and every week, something new (engine valve) keeps popping up. The dealer had to have known--the car didn't "know" what gear it was in the first time I took it on the highway. It only made it the 5 miles home after purchase uneventful. I've now maxed out my credit cards and even w/ the new tranny, the car is STILL shifting choppily!

It's cute. What a facade.

RECALLS! No car under 100K miles should need a new tranny and this much work. This car has so many known issues (tranny, valve body, headlights, convertible top, windows, computer, interior features falling apart...)that VW should be ashamed of themselves. People who like Beetles are creative types- people who want to be different, and now we are being punished for attempting individuality. It's sad. This car has effectively cleaned out my bank account, maxed out my cards, sent my stress level through the roof...and there is no end in sight, as just yesterday, the engine valve code came up after the car jerked. I hope this car makes a good house, cuz I'm gonna need to live it!