2004 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
A fun little car!
By mjvoigts on 09/16/09 10:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I LOVE my bug!!! I have flowers decked out all over it and it really turns heads! It is zippy and fun and the convertible top is great for Florida. I have had it in the shop for multiple repairs, but they've all been covered under warranty. The tires get bald quick, and the battery only lasted a year, though. Warranty covered a complete re-do of the electrical system, and a new top as the back window was falling out. The interior paint is so fun, but it does chip and that looks tacky. But I do looooove my car!! Also, with the Turbo engine, the mileage kind of stinks, and it requires premium fuel...

Mixed Bag
By TurboS04 on 03/21/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is used for work purposes, and is covered in advertising. While I was nervous to purchase based on review it has turned out to be an okay car. I've had issues with airbag and check engine lights but there is a ton of information on the internet to help out with those issues. The car is fast and fun to drive, and has a lot of nice features for the cost. Luckily, knock on wood, my issues have been small and hoping for a few more years of reliability.

cute but problematic
By allisong on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved my bug but now it's gone due to a leak in the roof of the car. Apparently there are drains in the roof that clog easily and with nowhere to go, the water leaks into the car. The dealer and the regional manager say that drains and the need to clean them out is common knowledge. Ever hear of this? The car had numerous problems from the beginning. I went to two different dealers for service and at both locations the car came back with new problems including scratches to the interior paint, wires being switched (trunk and gas latches) and several other annoying issues. Careless and frustrating service and constant problems, my bug is gone!!

Turbo S
By wkuhl on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great fun to drive. Roomy in front seat. Turbo S interior styling is great.

Love my bug!!!
By wtchhazle on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Well, to be honest, I've only owned it for about a month and a half, but I have never loved a car like this one. It's just sooo much fun to drive. I'm just thrilled with the purchase of this car. It's a peppy little turbo and simply a blast.

My dream bug
By topdownbug on 03/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the most enjoyable car I've ever owned in my almost 40 years of driving. It is so stylish and although I like many other cars - nothing says 'pure fun' better than a bug and when you add the 'topdown' to it - it's the best!! I have a second car that I drive in the winter - so my BUG is truly a great toy for me!

this is not my 74' bug
By ripper on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The only car that I have owned that can compair to the performence that this little rocket has is my Mustang GT but with 31 mpg

New Beetle Turbo S
By LuvBuggy on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Everyone told me that it had limited cargo space ... well I was able to transport a new Toro Snowblower 2450 GTS for a friend 80 miles for a Christmas present ... Couldn't do that in any other compact car!!!

Super Turbo Fun Bug
By Royce 1 on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Most fun car I have ever owned. Reliable, low cost, good economy and "QUICK"! 130MPH no problem. Great features and stable as a rock on a long trip. Even at "freeway" speeds -- HA AH! Put over 3,000 miles on it over New Years and was totally pleased. Great car. Very little fatigue and that's saying something for an old scudder - I'm 64 years old...

drove it, bought it, love it.
By poppy doing on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

i'm 48, retired, and this is the least expensive car i've ever purchased since getting out of school. i still have and love my v-8 landcruiser, but i drive the beetle as much as possible --- more fun for the buck than any vehicle! i thought it might just be the 6-speed that was so much fun, so i considered trading for a 350z or an rx8 --- drove both ---no way! beetle is more comfortable, roomy, smooth, and makes me feel smart for saving so much money. it's clearly not the best performer you can buy, but unless you have a need to race everyone on the road, it's satisfying. this is a great car and an unbelievable value.