Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
cute but problematic
By allisong

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved my bug but now it's gone due to a leak in the roof of the car. Apparently there are drains in the roof that clog easily and with nowhere to go, the water leaks into the car. The dealer and the regional manager say that drains and the need to clean them out is common knowledge. Ever hear of this? The car had numerous problems from the beginning. I went to two different dealers for service and at both locations the car came back with new problems including scratches to the interior paint, wires being switched (trunk and gas latches) and several other annoying issues. Careless and frustrating service and constant problems, my bug is gone!!

Favorite Features

really fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

defect in design of drains in the roof.

A fun little car!
By mjvoigts

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I LOVE my bug!!! I have flowers decked out all over it and it really turns heads! It is zippy and fun and the convertible top is great for Florida. I have had it in the shop for multiple repairs, but they've all been covered under warranty. The tires get bald quick, and the battery only lasted a year, though. Warranty covered a complete re-do of the electrical system, and a new top as the back window was falling out. The interior paint is so fun, but it does chip and that looks tacky. But I do looooove my car!! Also, with the Turbo engine, the mileage kind of stinks, and it requires premium fuel...

Favorite Features

The look of it, the convertible top, the snazzy way it drives.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the mileage, make it more reliable, and put some sort of a sealant over the interior paint to make it more durable. Buyer beware: get an extended warranty on this car!!

Mixed Bag
By TurboS04

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is used for work purposes, and is covered in advertising. While I was nervous to purchase based on review it has turned out to be an okay car. I've had issues with airbag and check engine lights but there is a ton of information on the internet to help out with those issues. The car is fast and fun to drive, and has a lot of nice features for the cost. Luckily, knock on wood, my issues have been small and hoping for a few more years of reliability.

Favorite Features

Sport seats are great, along with fantastic aircon, stereo system and heated seats! (You could fry an egg on them!)

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability, and less rattles. Otherwise, so far, so good!

Love my bug!!!
By wtchhazle

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Well, to be honest, I've only owned it for about a month and a half, but I have never loved a car like this one. It's just sooo much fun to drive. I'm just thrilled with the purchase of this car. It's a peppy little turbo and simply a blast.

Favorite Features

It's tiny and cute, but feels solid and safe. Very zippy!

Suggested Improvements

Getting in and out is a little tight in the drivers seat. I'm tiny, but wouldn't want to be much bigger. Now I just move the seat back which works just fine.

Turbo S
By wkuhl

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great fun to drive. Roomy in front seat. Turbo S interior styling is great.

Favorite Features

Sportiness and driveability

Suggested Improvements

Add a rear wiper. Add features to genter counsel-beverage holder, change compartment