Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

First car!
By Hadley

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since having this car, I have really liked it. It is my first car so I guess I don't know to much about how nice a first car should be but I really like this one! It took me a while to find the car that I did and I'm glad I found it because it is in good condition. If you find one that works well and drives good then I think it's a great car but if you find one that has a lot of problems and doesnt seem to fit the price then I recommend staying away from it.

Money!!!!!!!!!!!!
By age

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and I haven't even paid for the whole thing and already without maint. I have spent $7,000 on repairs. I drive 3 miles each way. My back window has stop working after 2 years and they told me $1,000. It wasn't covered under warranty. All I want to say is think about it first.

was my dream car

fix the back windows and water pumps

Do not buy this car
By Carrie

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first week I owned by brand new Beetle, the alternator went out on it. Since then, I have brought it in for so many other problems, I can't name them all. From three window motors breaking, to flooding when it rains through the door, to stalling, to a faulty CD changer. The car is not built right. For the asking price, it's not worth it and it's not a reliable car. Mine isn't the only lemon, a friend of mine has one that had its top get's stuck and not come back up. It's been in the shop for that two times. Sorry, but I've tried to get the dealer to take my car back more than five times. Warning!

I hate my car. It makes me sad.
By tangentgirl

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is cute, but man does it stink. Little things keep breaking. Sure, they're under warranty, but it's a pain to have to bring the thing back to the dealership. I've had to repair the following things: Seat back/fwd levers - these constantly break, both trunk arms, the lock on the center console, the front panel accessory slots (empty), rear phone charger - it fell right out, the back window is starting to have problems rolling down correctly, the front airbag sensor, various electrical problems - including one that made the car turn off while driving. Fun. Also, there's a wheel noise that I need to get checked now. I feel like I drive a 1987 Taurus or something, except with a payment.

It's cute. It's fun to drive a convertible in the summer, especially by the beach. The color - galactic blue - is superpretty.

I wish it had better overall quality. I wish it were faster. I wish the cupholders and the things to push the seat forward were not stupid. Man are they stupid.

This bug is a lemon in disguise
By fitz5678

Just 19 months old, in the shop 5
times, each time 2-5 days. Recalled
for top, still broken, mildew smells,
radio volume too high. Mechanically
sound, but asthetically bogus.
Dealership still has followed through
and now doesn't return calls. Arghhh

gas mileage and driving with the top down.

Fix the radio, the top, the drainage for the top, cup holders, internal asthetics.