Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

turbo 5 speed fast and great MPG...
By cali guy

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Its was my sister car at 79k miles on it. It look and drove great. I was impress with MPG and Yes at 30 plus plus mpg!! Now at 100k and moved to the horrible south Texas! With humility and very Hot I noticed the door panels are pulling back-off like, there leather and it's anoing! It has cute looks that's what girls and women like but really it's a nice car. With the 1.8L turbo and 5speed manuel...it's a Fast little sleeper...hehe I love it at stop lights with big trucks or mustang even the 320z it just leaves all of them at the light! And the drivers look as they only see my tail lights!! Ha!! But as the car it has one of the Best n World engine top 10... But with the window regulator(drivers side was out!) and door trim pulling out...and headlights work great but fade to fast... It has problems....Sad cuz it's actually a good little Fast great MPG...car. I drove PCH highway for those that don't know that the twisty road on the west coast...and with the top down..it was a fun fun little car to drive...and I drive spiritly quick to I may add. So for a safe and good MPG and a Fast car with manuel n turbocharger it's great. But some quality built materials would be appreciated.

DO NOT BUY/CHEAPLY BUILT
By VW Hater

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had nothing but problems with this car. Front bumper falls off, inside door panel falls off, pully for window snapped, replaced motor, the power steering pump gone twice, and now I am stuck with this huge piece of crap and no dealership will even take it as a trade :'( *** Forget needing a simple part either because they will rape you in price! Fred Flinstone Car!!

My bug
By Nativegrl918@gmail.com

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car

Worst purchase of my entire life
By Victoria

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought the car because it was cute, got good gas mileage, and I had always wanted one. Well, 3 years later and i've put around $22,000 into the car. First I started replacing minor things like the timing belt and the water pump, then the alternator, then the radiator, then the computer, then the air conditioning, but then i ended up replacing the engine, then the turbo, then the door, then the head gasket, then the transmission(as well as many many other things). This car has left me stranded on SO many occasions. I'm fearful to even drive this death trap. Please save yourself the heart ache, do NOT buy an older model beetle. The only reason I have held on so long is because my grandfather keeps paying to get it fixed, but this is not an inexpensive quick fix car. It will NEVER end.

The most trouble prone car of them all. Stay away
By Vince

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car from a family member with only 16K miles and it was garage kept. It's a 2.0 convertible with automatic. I can't begin to say how cheaply built this car is and VW should be ashamed of this product. The structure of this car creaks and moans over smooth roads. The driver's door handle (plastic) was cracked and this cracked the entire door panel. Replacements are hard to find and expensive. I got a new door panel and got metal door handles from ebay. The driver's door latch switch broke. This needed an entire latch and the switch lowers the window when opening and closing the door. Without this switch say goodbye to the top. So I did this myself. Then the rear plastics all cracked. Then the flaps to cover the top frame broke and the top wouldn't move so I took them off to fix it. Then the rear window separated from the canvas. I repaired the rear glass to save me the $2500 for a new top. Once I had this fixed, then the rear driver's window regulator broke. I took this to my friend and he fixed it for $300, but then the power top broke. So I disabled the power top and do it by hand since I'm done fixing stuff on this car. So it's fate is destined to be the in junkyard, but for now it's just rolling junk waiting for it's destiny. All of these repairs are on a low mileage, well maintained car. Other driving impressions- it drives like a cheap economy car. Braking is good. Acceleration is below average. Transmission and engine are still working for some reason. Structure is poor as I described above. Interior storage is average. rear seat room is tight. Paint is good. 30MPG highway. I can not recommend this car under any circumstances even if it's given to you for free. It is very poorly over-engineered. Parts quality is very poor. Construction quality is poor with cheap brittle plastic and weak adhesives holding things together. Parts cost is very high and availability is poor as it may need to be shipped from Germany. So nothing here to see-keep looking.