2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
A MISTAKE
By Rikky Huskanovic on 03/26/15 05:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First got this car when it was around 80k miles, and it was super cute and super fun for a few days until I noticed that something was wrong half the time when you tried to accelerate. However, it lasted me a few months- all while check engine turned on, it didn't acknowledge gears, etc- until it left me on the side of the highway with the engine and everything inside fried. We got it "fixed" and looked at so many times until it literally just died. No one wanted to even look at it, and the one mechanic that was willing said that all hope was lost. No reliability, no durability, doesn't seem to run over 5000 miles. You will be throwing your money away if you buy it.

Fun in the Sun!
By qtbugg on 11/08/14 08:54 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love my bug! My husband purchased this used vehicle for my college graduation eight years ago and we have put very little money into her. Runs great, ok gas mileage, consider it's Turbo not diesel. As she's starting to age she's not as quiet as a new ride, but do not look to replace her. In fact looking to change her paint job, red to hot pink.

Worst Car
By lvazquez1watcx on 07/15/13 21:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car on June 2011. it had less than 90, 000 miles on it. few months after i bought it, the flap panels broke, headliner started falling apart and the inside began to deteriorate. when it hit 100,000 miles the transmission started acting up, the valve body ended up need replaced. the headlights and anything electrical really is always acting up. i got this car at the VW dealership and thought i was getting a good deal on it, but not even 2 years later and i have already put thousands of dollars into its repairs. I am a nursing student and this is probably the least reliable car you could own. Have filed a complaint with the BBB, but never received a response.

Yet another lemon New Beetle
By onclewillie on 01/29/13 15:28 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

The worst VW I have ever owned. Hideous number of electrical problems with multiple trips to the dealer for air bags, engine indicator lights, turn signals and so on. Transmission died a few miles from expiration. I actually pulled to the side of the road, called the dealer on my cellular phone and reported the problem and gave them the mileage a told them the problem occurred UNDER warranty. The timing belt broke, roughly a 300 buck fix, but it took out all but 2 valves. Cost over 3,000 to put back on the road and then more problems with the exhaust and gaskets. Now the turbo makes a funny, and not ha-ha, noise and I am looking at my fourth set of tires. Will never own another VW.

Dream Car, Turned Nightmare!
By chiquitadog1 on 05/07/12 13:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This was my mom's dream car, but it has been nothing but a nightmare! The electrical is always goofy, fast blinker, check engine light always on & 6 months after buying, driver's side window won't go down and come back up to the hood seal automatically - a problem I've heard about from every convertible owner. Another problem I've heard from every Beetle owner, the water pump either breaks or leaks. The transmission is this cars biggest downfall. After owning it for 1.5 years the transmission would get very touchy, stuck in gear, hard shifting, funny sounds, esp in stop & go traffic or when trying to go after coming to a stop. Finally went completely out while after stopping at a red light.

Worst Mistake Of My Life
By design_o_mite on 01/31/12 12:34 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Within three days of buying a 2004 Beetle convertible from a used dealer for $8,600 (incl CA sales tax and dealer fees), it became obvious the tranny had issues. (88K miles on the car.) Less than 2 months later, I've replaced the transmission, and axle, the triptronic...to the tune of $6500. I'm not into this car 15K and every week, something new (engine valve) keeps popping up. The dealer had to have known--the car didn't "know" what gear it was in the first time I took it on the highway. It only made it the 5 miles home after purchase uneventful. I've now maxed out my credit cards and even w/ the new tranny, the car is STILL shifting choppily!

Worst VW I've Owned (out of 3)
By dsmark on 01/16/12 13:55 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Without a doubt this is the worst VW I have owned. Had a 71 Bug in high school and I would rather have that car back then this 2004. We bought this car in 2006 for my wife, she loved the red/black coloring, and the convertible top. Since buying the car we have replaced the water pump 3 times, drivers side headlight keeps going out, convertable top was vandalized (not VW's fault) the power windows dont auto close correctly. Its just one problem after another...I will never buy another VW

Traded in my BMW for this
By andydrew86 on 10/21/11 04:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've been used to luxury and honestly this VW is not bad. Asian cars are always skimpy on features, and performance. German cars are just as reliable, have tons of technology in them, but do cost way more to maintain. I got it with 78K and put 10K more. I have had no problems at all. The Turbo is so FUN. I Guess it depends where you buy your car from. I got mine from Carmax, I would definitely recommend them. BTW the stereo is GREAT, it seriously rivals the one I had in the BMW 745. I have the optional 17" wheels and sport suspension. This car is SO FUN TO DRIVE, and doesn't put me to sleep like the BMW

Poor Quality
By mas16 on 09/19/11 12:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Stay away - engineering and quality are very poor. I bought the car new for my daugher for a graduation present. With just over 50K miles we have had to rebuild the transmission and replace the cytelitic converter. Also had numorous annoying but slightly less major problems. My daughter had to stop usign the convertible top several years ago. The darn thing is too complicated and something breaks about every third time it was used. The scary thing is that every we encountered a problem I look on the VW forums and found that many other owners are experiencing the same problem.

LEMON BEETLE
By dilyse on 08/24/11 17:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this cute bug 6 years ago for my daughter. Has been in the shop more times than I can count. I've always had it serviced right on time either at a dealer or by a VW specialist and still have tons of problems. Main ones: - SUNROOF LEAKS - ruined interior! Have taken it to a VW dealer 4 times and an independent specialist once. Still leaks. Really bad design! - POWER WINDOW MOTOR - Replaced - Misc Buttons - pop off. Design is also really a 2-seater as the rear seats are virtually useless for anyone over 5 feet tall. My daughter wanted this based on looks alone. At least this has been a great lesson for her. NEXT TIME SHE'LL BUY QUALITY IN ADDITION TO LOOKS. AVOID THE BUG!