2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: 2003 New Beetle Turbo

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

GLX 1.8T Convertible (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic)

2003 New Beetle Turbo
By iatros on

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought our 2003 New Beetle Convertible Turbo with auto 6 speed in June 2003 for my wife's birthday. We had to go to Arlington, TX, to order one of the first to come into the USA. My wife has loved this car! The handling and comfort are great, and she loves to leave the pickemup drivers standing at the lights. We don't drive it much, but one highlight was trip from Huntsville, AL, to Ashville, NC, in October. But I worry a bit. There have been several service issues, including one coil recoil. The latest service, with 57,600 miles, was the appearance of Service Engine light. Dealer wants only $2200 to fix everything!

Favorite Features

Power! Comfortable seating! Convertible (what can I say?)! Handling! Good headlamp illumination at night!

Suggested Improvements

Many small details concerning assembly and engineering, as we have had about a dozen service issues. Expensive to service, i.e. new battery required tow to shop and $229 to replace, burned out headlamp over $100, wiper blades nearly $100. Part of this is due to worsening exchange rate from 03 to present. Part of this is simply exploitation of exotic import.