2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Not my wife's car!

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Review

Not my wife's car!
By on

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

When it was time to replace my 95 GTI VR6, much beloved for its power and utility, my goal was 4 seats and at least as much performance. My kids wanted a "punch buggy." My wife loved the snap orange New Beetle. I test drove the 1.8T but felt it was a step down, and had a rubbery shifter. Then I test drove the Turbo S and fell in love with the noticeable increase in power, 6 speed shifter, and great seats. My wife can get an orange one next time; mine's a black Turbo S!

Get this car for its style, flair, usable power, and refinement: Smooth power band, peak torque from low rpm on up; 6 speed much better than 5 speed; great all-leather seats; nice sound system. Style!

More responsive throttle (Hate the wire) Wheels are a matter of taste… (18" wheels?) Front bumper & tailpipe extensions susceptible to scraping; watch that ground clearance! In dash CD should be standard! Color choices should be more unique to the Turbo S model.