My Horror Story
By azuki on
2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)
This was my first car at the age of 18. When I got my Beetle, it had about 72,000 miles on it, and not even 4 months after receiving it, the problems began. Immediately, my transmission died completely. My warranty company gave me a $4,000 check and voided my warranty after seeing the $12,000 repair bill. Then, the battery died. Twice. As did the alternator and air conditioning. My rear window also got stuck and that would have cost me 4 hours of labor fees just to get to the broken bits. It's not like I drove it a lot - over a course of 3 years I didn't even drive 10,000 miles. For the love of god, stay away from this car. It is one problem after another, literally every 3-5 months.
Favorite Features
I will admit, when I wasn't sick of it for not functioning like a normal car, it was fun to drive. Responsive, nimble steering makes it a blast. The outside design is nice - no matter what I will always admire the design of beetles, even if they now make me cringe and want to hide my wallet.
Suggested Improvements
Oh where to begin.. - Fix the god awful transmission issue (something to do with the valve body) - Make it somewhat reliable. I had an average tow rate of 8 times a year - Use a different kind of plastic. Whenever any amount of heat hits the inside plastic, it creates an awful smell that does not go away. No amount of ionization or air fresheners removes it. - Back seats could use a bit more room - Fix engine reliability. 95% of the time my engine light was on, each time for a different problem.