Love it, but had a big problem
By NeilS on
2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Amazing engineering and design for such a small car, lots of fun to drive. Turbo has a lot of power, but lags when starting from dead stop. I had a BMW 325is, and this car drives a lot like it. For the $, I don't think you can beat it, especially if you're looking for a four seater convertible. But.... I had a defective slave cylinder that caused the clutch to burn up after 3300 miles, and the car broke down on the NJ Turnpike. Warranty covered it, it's all fixed and working great, but I have to question reliability when I break down so soon.
Favorite Features
Monsoon stereo is great, 6 disc changer in center console is neat too. Stick shift performs well (until my clutch problem), top comes down easily. Rain sensing wipers are really cool, except for one complaint (see below).
Suggested Improvements
Button that controls all four windows at once (very useful) gets confused sometimes if all windows don't start in same position. Rain-sensing wipers are great, but sometimes don't sense the rain until you turn them off and back on.